Total votes: 31

neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

This or that

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Hello forum

After a few thoughts as a contemplate a change. I've had the alpinist about 2 years but I don't wear it much these days. I've recently been eyeing up the 36mm Smith's Everest. So should I sell the alpinist to fund an Everest? Vote or comment if you like, all advice is appreciated
Attachments
sxL1nLO.jpg
IMG_20190310_132800.jpg
Neil
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: This or that

Post by H0rati0 »

I would keep the Alpinist (I don't own one but have been tempted). The compass bezel is a bit different and it has a date - for daily wear I find it useful to have at least a date window. The Alpinist is quite iconic and keeps its value well but only you can decide if you prefer and will actually wear the Smiths - which I hasten to add I have nothing against.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

This thread suggests the decision, at least subconsciously, has been made!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Not sure if I would buy either but if someone asked me which one I would prefer it would be the Everest just on looks alone :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Been there, done that with the Alpinist.

Climb every Mountain... etc. #GoEverest.

Having no date keeps it clean and simple, makes it easier to set.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Arbor22 »

Am I right in thinking prices for the alpinist are rising as they are discontinued? You may regret selling if so.
I love the look of the Everest and would like to add one myself at some point, the issues with the clasp on the 36mm however put me off slightly. Perhaps waiting for the 36mm with smaller clasp will give you time to save allowing you to keep both
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

neil8fletcher3 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:10 am but I don't wear it much these days.
I think that’s your answer. Why hold on to a watch you don’t wear?
Drew
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Arbor22 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:59 am Am I right in thinking prices for the alpinist are rising as they are discontinued? You may regret selling if so.
I love the look of the Everest and would like to add one myself at some point, the issues with the clasp on the 36mm however put me off slightly. Perhaps waiting for the 36mm with smaller clasp will give you time to save allowing you to keep both
There is a good amount of speculation going on with pricing, but I don't think prices are rising now. They had risen from about £300 before Seiko canned it, to nowadays £500ish but my sense is the market is not clearing at that price, so given time, more likely to drop a little.

At £300 a good deal given the 6R movement, but at £500 - nah, too much other good stuff at that price point.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Texican
Senior
Senior

Post by Texican »

I'd keep the Alpinist. I paid $375.00 for mine in 2017 from Seiya in Japan, now Long Island Watch has them for $549.00. My wife just got me a Seiko SARB 033 from LIW for my birthday she paid $475.00 with a 5% discount. I wish I'd gotten it for $350.00 a couple of years ago. I can see them increasing in price on the used market as existing stocks run out. Besides I love the look of the watch, I think that it's quite unique looking. I don't know anything about Smith watches, from the picture it seems to check a lot of my boxes, that said the size is a deal breaker for me. 38mm is the absolute minimum for me.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

No offense intended, remember just my opinion, but unless I'm trecking across the outback in need of a compass, all the extras on the Alpinist are just clutter. Smiths for me.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I voted smiths. A cracking looking 1016 homage
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Not to familiar with the Smiths brand till recently. I really like the Explorer look without all the verbage.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Survey not helping :lol:
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

This is a hard one and there are some really good arguments for both watches being made. Ultimately I voted for keeping the Alpinist because I regret selling mine. The Smiths is lovely though and Arbor22 does make a good point about waiting and the possibility of both. I know I have a terrible track record of trying to save for something but they do both bring something different to a collection.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

I voted to keep the Alpinist.

Not a major fan of homage watches, but the Smiths does have a charm that is difficult to ignore.
Having said that, the SARB on bracelet (such as the Strapcode oyster) would get my vote all day long.
Improves the look 10-fold for me.

Best of luck with the decision :thumbup:

Ryan