Rolex: OP39 v Explorer1

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Rolex: OP39 v Explorer1

Post by Bungle-ator »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:44 pm
hughesyn wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:45 pm Maybe it's advancing age (but still 20 years younger than AVO)...
You can go off people... :grandpa:

However, the more I think about the Explorer, the more I can’t stop seeing this blue Santos.

It's maybe a minor detail but for a watch at that cost those screws need to be aligned or just not be there. They're all over the place.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

There are murmurings on the web that the Rolex "bubble" is showing signs of being burst.

I'm currently in Guernsey and and Mappin and Webb here have a stainless steel (platinum bezel) yacht master 37 in the window. It's the first stainless steel sports watch I've seen since I've been paying attention in the last year or two. Is the stainless steel sports Rolex on the edge of being "available"?
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Bungle-ator wrote:There are murmurings on the web that the Rolex "bubble" is showing signs of being burst.

I'm currently in Guernsey and and Mappin and Webb here have a stainless steel (platinum bezel) yacht master 37 in the window. It's the first stainless steel sports watch I've seen since I've been paying attention in the last year or two. Is the stainless steel sports Rolex on the edge of being "available"?
I think those murmurings are exaggerated, and probably caused by a few online secondary retailers softening their prices a little.

In particular (in the UK) Watchfinder, who have been responsible for a lot of the high prices in the secondary market (which in turn led to speculators, which caused high demand...) have perhaps found the upper limits of the price elasticity.

I don’t think it means the bubble has burst though, and I imagine the scarcity will remain for a while - at least for the most popular models (which probably does not include the steel YM).
Richard
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

The YM is certainly not the most popular of models but nonetheless it's the first one I've seen in a window. I think we're a couple of years away from being able to walk in and buy a watch of choice on the same day but I'm pretty sure that day will come.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Bungle-ator wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:38 am I think we're a couple of years away from being able to walk in and buy a watch of choice on the same day but I'm pretty sure that day will come.
Whether that day comes in the short to medium term for Rolex, I'm not so sure. It does however reinforce that you should buy a watch because you like it and want to wear it, not for reasons of "investment".
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way