Rolex: OP39 v Explorer1

A place to discuss other watch-brands
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Rolex: OP39 v Explorer1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Similar attitude by David M Robinson in Liverpool, who was only interested in selling me a Rolex if I either bought some expensive jewellery, or several Omegas / Tudors.

All to do with the relationship with the AD and I know at least one forum member who has a great relationship with another DMR branch.

I'm not going to be forced to spend on Omegas and Tudors plus others so that I may get a chance to buy a Rolex. I'll never walk into a DMR shop again and I'm happy to buy elsewhere without the blackmail.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

Rolex prices and availability as a result are crazy. Although I have made a bit of money on a couple it is a bit annoying. I am currently enjoying a Milgauss. I was looking at flipping quickly, but have found that I really like it. Could this be an option instead of a explorer? they seem to be good value at used prices.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

^^^^ It has to be an Explorer I'm afraid. Given two responses out of the three enquiries I've made I'm fairly satisfied I'll pick one up without a problem. A 4 month wait doesn't bother me at all, given I plan to keep it and pass it on to one of my kids.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bungle-ator wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:23 pm
Goldsmiths in Reading were more than happy to tell me they wanted a purchase history or another purchase to go along with it before they'd part with one. Never a smugger muppet have I met. There's no chance I'll ever buy something I don't want just to obtain the right to buy the watch I actually want.

Has anyone else come across the same attitude elsewhere as shown in Goldsmiths? I wouldn't have been surprised if I was asking for a Sub or a Daytona but really didn't expect it for an Explorer.
Reading Goldsmiths are my closest Rolex AD also.
In early 2018 I visited them a few times to try on various watches particularly the Speedy, PO and SMP but on 1 visit I mentioned that the Explorer was a possible alternative purchase if I could get to see 1. They surprised me by saying they had received 1 in stock the previous day, that they had no name against it and was very willing for me to try it on and buy it if I wished. I had no previous purchasing history with them and had only used them a couple of times to service my TAGs. On that day I was not ready with my decision of what watch to buy and eventually bought a Speedy at just over 50% of the price of the Explorer.

The Explorer is a lovely watch. It fitted me perfectly straight out of the plastic protective case and on the wrist the 39mm was just right and totally comfortable. I wouldn't buy an OP39 instead of the Explorer. If Rolex did a 3,6,9 blue dial in 39mm I would buy that instead but otherwise I would still like to have an Explorer.

I do think that at Goldsmiths Reading it depends on who serves you and maybe where they are in the selling/profit periods as on 1 occasion they offered me a decent discount on a Speedy without me even asking but on another visit when I asked because I was ready to buy they said "we don't give discounts on the Moonwatch as it's so popular we don't have to". I walked out at that point but would probably have to return to them or alternatively Gatward's in Windsor if I wanted to buy an Explorer but I certainly wouldn't consider buying something else just so I could then get an Explorer from them. They can find another mug if that's how they work.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

willttqs wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:07 pm Rolex prices and availability as a result are crazy. Although I have made a bit of money on a couple it is a bit annoying. I am currently enjoying a Milgauss. I was looking at flipping quickly, but have found that I really like it. Could this be an option instead of a explorer? they seem to be good value at used prices.
I have to admit, if I was looking for a no date rolex my choice would be between the Milgauss and the Airking. The explorer does absolutely nothing for me, I find my C65 Classic more interesting.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:13 pm
Bungle-ator wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:23 pm

Reading Goldsmiths are my closest Rolex AD also.
In early 2018 I visited them a few times to try on various watches particularly the Speedy, PO and SMP but on 1 visit I mentioned that the Explorer was a possible alternative purchase if I could get to see 1. They surprised me by saying they had received 1 in stock the previous day, that they had no name against it and was very willing for me to try it on and buy it if I wished. I had no previous purchasing history with them and had only used them a couple of times to service my TAGs. On that day I was not ready with my decision of what watch to buy and eventually bought a Speedy at just over 50% of the price of the Explorer.

I do think that at Goldsmiths Reading it depends on who serves you and maybe where they are in the selling/profit periods as on 1 occasion they offered me a decent discount on a Speedy without me even asking but on another visit when I asked because I was ready to buy they said "we don't give discounts on the Moonwatch as it's so popular we don't have to". I walked out at that point but would probably have to return to them or alternatively Gatward's in Windsor if I wanted to buy an Explorer but I certainly wouldn't consider buying something else just so I could then get an Explorer from them. They can find another mug if that's how they work.
Yeah it probably does make a difference on who you're dealing with and when you see them. Still, I probably won't be back in that shop as it's an attitude I can't subscribe to.

The salesman in Gatwards was decent and was amenable to ordering one if and when(they're closer to me as I'm in Maidenhead). Loads of Rolex AD's within easy reach, I won't be begging one in particular if they're being silly about it.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:17 pm 9 months. I retire mid July next year.
Never! You don't look old enough :D
Cheers now, Paul
Rob s
Senior
Senior

Post by Rob s »

I recently picked up an Explorer and did consider the OP39 (liked the white face) as well although my local AD didn't have either for me to try on. I decided on the explorer was told I should be able to get it before xmas but actually only took 4 weeks.
I had zero history with the AD and there was never any suggestion that i should buy something else first.
DSC_0488-1548x2752.JPG
DSC_0490-01.jpeg
DSC_0489-01.jpeg
Rob s
Senior
Senior

Post by Rob s »

While the lume seems and impressive blue in the photos to my eyes it looks green.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Rob s wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:39 am While the lume seems and impressive blue in the photos to my eyes it looks green.
That's definitely green to me as well. Google searches show lume in green and blue on the same model. I'm probably wrong but it suggests to me that they're using super luminova on some and chromalight on others.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ I think Rolex started using chromalight in 2008. As with many things Rolex related they didn’t switch to chromalight on all models straight away. It seems that for some models it took a few years before the switch, although I think it was introduced straight away on new models.

The 39mm Explorer wasn’t introduced until 2010, it’s likely that it used chromalight from the outset. I don’t think any of the previous 36mm model had chromalight.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

For some strange reason, the Explorer 1 never appealed to me, until I read this thread.

In fact, this is only the 3rd Rolex I've ever thought about owning, but the other two I can't justify the cost (two tone blue sub and white gold GMTII).

The E1 seems to cover many bases. It's smart enough to be a dressy 'going out for dinner' watch, but also a sports watch for walking to the pub.

Maybe it's advancing age (but still 20 years younger than AVO)...
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

hughesyn wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:45 pm Maybe it's advancing age (but still 20 years younger than AVO)...
You can go off people... :grandpa:

However, the more I think about the Explorer, the more I can’t stop seeing this blue Santos.

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:44 pm
hughesyn wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:45 pm Maybe it's advancing age (but still 20 years younger than AVO)...

However, the more I think about the Explorer, the more I can’t stop seeing this blue Santos.

The Cartier says "AVO" to me much more than the Rolex does.
Rob s
Senior
Senior

Post by Rob s »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:

I'm also a big fan of the Santos although was looking at the white face. I tried one on the other day and wasn't sure on the size. The medium seemed to small but the large was just a little too big I thought.
Need to try with the leather strap to see if that makes a difference as I'd probably wear it on strap rather than bracelet

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk