Mariner Watches.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Re: Mariner Watches.

Post by SlowLoris »

scooter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:30 pm I'll take that as an apology shall I?

scooter
Ok. I apologise that I thought you made a joke rather than someone else. Will that do?
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I've wasted enough time here.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:18 pm I just think that people sometimes read to much into something and try to see something that isn’t there just to cause controversy. So, I’ll agree to disagree with what you see in the ad compared to me, but I will agree 100% on the values you are bringing your son up with.
Interesting. I don’t think we have the same values at all. Perhaps we use the same terminology to label our values, but they’re not at all the same values. Your comments illustrate to me a fundamentally different world view between us, a difference that leads to seeing the ads in utterly different ways. My objection is not to the ad, so much as the a worldview that produces that ad and leads people to defend that ad. I’m not going to change your worldview, but I will try to influence and change my sons.

To illustrate my point, I’ll use the examples of your behavior that you site (cite?). Clearly you are quite polite and respectful to your mother and women in general, but if you behave one way with and in front of your mother and another way with and in front of your friends (presumably men?), are you treating everyone exactly the same as you state? Clearly your acting differently towards your mother and women in general. You don’t see them the same way.

Here’s a simple test, imagine your daughters boyfriend created that image and tag line in reference to your own daughter and with her the woman in the image. Would you see it as harmless.

Just as an FYI, having a daughter completely changed my perspective on things AND my own behavior.
Drew
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

They were thinking, our watches are absolutelt sh#$. How do we get everyone talking about them?....oh i know lets p$ss everyone off.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

For the record, my last comment is neither a condemnation of being polite and respectful nor an argument against being polite and respectful. But rather a challenge to reflect on what’s behind it.

I Never swore in front of my grandmother, but it wasn’t because she was a woman. It was because she despises swearing and would have slapped me for it. In contrast, I swear all the time in front of my mother-in-law - not because I have no respect for her, but because she cusses like a sailor and wouldn’t take offense to me swearing in front of her. In fact, I imagine she’d take offense if she knew I swore with friends and DIDN’T swear in front of her.
Drew
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:31 pm
TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:19 pm
SlowLoris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Yup. How's this for starters?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... ideal.html
The Female section of the Daily Mail?! :lol: :lol:
Ah, so you don't like the article or you think it's funny because it's written by a woman. Your problems are bigger than I thought.
Right, I don’t mind having a debate on anything with anyone. I draw the line at personal insults. So, where do you get off telling me that I have problems? I’m not gonna throw insults back on a public forum. If you do fancy throwing a few more insults, please feel free to PM me
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:36 pm
TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:18 pm I just think that people sometimes read to much into something and try to see something that isn’t there just to cause controversy. So, I’ll agree to disagree with what you see in the ad compared to me, but I will agree 100% on the values you are bringing your son up with.
Interesting. I don’t think we have the same values at all. Perhaps we use the same terminology to label our values, but they’re not at all the same values. Your comments illustrate to me a fundamentally different world view between us, a difference that leads to seeing the ads in utterly different ways. My objection is not to the ad, so much as the a worldview that produces that ad and leads people to defend that ad. I’m not going to change your worldview, but I will try to influence and change my sons.

To illustrate my point, I’ll use the examples of your behavior that you site (cite?). Clearly you are quite polite and respectful to your mother and women in general, but if you behave one way with and in front of your mother and another way with and in front of your friends (presumably men?), are you treating everyone exactly the same as you state? Clearly your acting differently towards your mother and women in general. You don’t see them the same way.

Here’s a simple test, imagine your daughters boyfriend created that image and tag line in reference to your own daughter and with her the woman in the image. Would you see it as harmless.

Just as an FYI, having a daughter completely changed my perspective on things AND my own behavior.
No point in us trying to carry this one as we are both totally different types of people. Easier to just leave it at that and move on.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:58 pm No point in us trying to carry this one as we are both totally different types of people. Easier to just leave it at that and move on.
Agree to disagree, right? Works for me!
Drew
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:19 pm
TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:58 pm No point in us trying to carry this one as we are both totally different types of people. Easier to just leave it at that and move on.
Agree to disagree, right? Works for me!
Yep, sorted :thumbup:
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:55 pm
TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:19 pm

The Female section of the Daily Mail?! :lol: :lol:
Ah, so you don't like the article or you think it's funny because it's written by a woman. Your problems are bigger than I thought.
Right, I don’t mind having a debate on anything with anyone. I draw the line at personal insults. So, where do you get off telling me that I have problems? I’m not gonna throw insults back on a public forum. If you do fancy throwing a few more insults, please feel free to PM me
It was an observation, not an insult, given in response to your remark regarding my posting a link to an article that provided evidence that sexist advertising has an effect on young men (Evidence that I was asked to provide). Your remark indicated that the link was amusing in some way either because it was in the 'Femail' section, that it was written by a woman or both. Thus far, your entire contribution to this thread seems to be predicated on the fact that you have an warped opinion regarding women. So, Yeah, I think you've got a problem.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 pm
TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:55 pm

It was an observation, not an insult, given in response to your remark regarding my posting a link to an article that provided evidence that sexist advertising has an effect on young men (Evidence that I was asked to provide). Your remark indicated that the link was amusing in some way either because it was in the 'Femail' section, that it was written by a woman or both. Thus far, your entire contribution to this thread seems to be predicated on the fact that you have an warped opinion regarding women. So, Yeah, I think you've got a problem.
Didn’t I say to PM me if you wanted to throw more insults?
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

The first ad actually looks like a female hand. The 3rd ad looks like 2 women are harassing a male who looks rather uncomfortable. So one woman who is trying to strangle another woman and two women taking advantage of a man. Perhaps the 2nd ad is some kind of role play and some women actually like that. She probably made him do it.

This is Gillette all over again...
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

nordwulf wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:31 pm Perhaps the 2nd ad is some kind of role play and some women actually like that. She probably made him do it.
Some pay good money for things like that too, Frank :lol:
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I've clicked on the link a few times now, while reading through the thread.
I'm guessing thats exactly what they intended, and they know exactly what they're doing.
These type of ads that can cause offence, obviously work...anyone seen the trailer for Ricky Gervais' new show "After life" for example.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39