Mariner Watches.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Mariner Watches.

Post by SlowLoris »

What on Earth were they thinking.............

https://usa.watchpro.com/mariner-watche ... vertising/
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Mariner Watches.

Post by TigerChris »

I don’t get the problem, typical of today’s snowflake generation looking for the ‘offensive’ in everything.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I guess I’m a snowflake then, because I find that a bit offensive and rather misguided for an ad campaign. Maybe having a teenage daughter in college who has to consistently make a point to boys asking her out that she will not be sleeping with them at the end of the night has made me overly sensitive to anything vaguely mysogenistic.
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

If the adverts, albeit distasteful as opposed to offensive, were indicative of their 'target audience', guess I won't be buying one of their watches (much as I like women and whisky).

Mind you, having checked out their watches; I won't be buying them anyway!

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:52 pm I don’t get the problem, typical of today’s snowflake generation looking for the ‘offensive’ in everything.
Wow. If you really 'don't get the problem', then you, quite frankly, are the problem. Jeez.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:17 pm
TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:52 pm I don’t get the problem, typical of today’s snowflake generation looking for the ‘offensive’ in everything.
Wow. If you really 'don't get the problem', then you, quite frankly, are the problem. Jeez.
Exactly
Drew
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

I’m the problem?! :lol: :lol: There are 2 ways of looking at everything. If it was the other way around and it was a bloke with a woman pouring whisky into his mouth in that manner, nothing would be said apart from the odd ‘wouldn’t mind being in his shoes’ comment. So, do you want equality or do you want equality, but only when it suits?
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:28 pm
I’m the problem?! :lol: :lol: There are 2 ways of looking at everything. If it was the other way around and it was a bloke with a woman pouring whisky into his mouth in that manner, nothing would be said apart from the odd ‘wouldn’t mind being in his shoes’ comment. So, do you want equality or do you want equality, but only when it suits?
What nonsense.'There are 2 ways of looking at everything'? What is that supposed to mean?

If, as you suggest, the advert had reversed the roles, then, I grant you, there would have been a difference. It would still have been odd and rather disturbing but the clear sense of menace and violence would be far less and is it precisely this aspect of the advert which you fail to see. I fear though that you are rather too far gone in your view to ever change your mind.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:08 pm

What nonsense.'There are 2 ways of looking at everything'? What is that supposed to mean?

If, as you suggest, the advert had reversed the roles, then, I grant you, there would have been a difference. It would still have been odd and rather disturbing but the clear sense of menace and violence would be far less and is it precisely this aspect of the advert which you fail to see. I fear though that you are rather too far gone in your view to ever change your mind.
It means that not everyone looks at things in the same way. I’m not gonna get into personal insults, which it seems you want to aim at me, so let’s keep it as a meaningful discussion. Disturbing? Menace and violence?! We have people stabbing, shooting, blowing each other up over political and religious reasons all over the world. We have kids killing them selves due to cyber bullying, videos being posted left right and centre of groups of people bullying others and mugging vulnerable people thinking it’s funny, but these portray disturbing menace and violence? I see more violence in the local on a Saturday night! I accept that different people have different views, mine and yours are different. That doesn’t make one right and one wrong though (or ‘nonsense’ as you put it). Oh, and there’s no need to fear for me, I’m big and ugly enough to look after myself :lol: :lol:
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Full credit to the CW Enthusiasts FB page who pulled the plug on this same thread a few days ago.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have had a look at the adverts. Absolutely shocking.........................

Completely the wrong style of watch for a Milanese mesh AND being worn far to loosely!

I notice from their website that Mariner offer a lifetime warranty. Albeit with a few exclusions, including improper handling and lack of care.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

nbg wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm I have had a look at the adverts. Absolutely shocking.........................

Completely the wrong style of watch for a Milanese mesh AND being worn far to loosely!

I notice from their website that Mariner offer a lifetime warranty. Albeit with a few exclusions, including improper handling and lack of care.

Neil
:lol: :lol:
SlowLoris
Senior
Senior

Post by SlowLoris »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:28 pm

It means that not everyone looks at things in the same way. I’m not gonna get into personal insults, which it seems you want to aim at me, so let’s keep it as a meaningful discussion. Disturbing? Menace and violence?! We have people stabbing, shooting, blowing each other up over political and religious reasons all over the world. We have kids killing them selves due to cyber bullying, videos being posted left right and centre of groups of people bullying others and mugging vulnerable people thinking it’s funny, but these portray disturbing menace and violence? I see more violence in the local on a Saturday night! I accept that different people have different views, mine and yours are different. That doesn’t make one right and one wrong though (or ‘nonsense’ as you put it). Oh, and there’s no need to fear for me, I’m big and ugly enough to look after myself :lol: :lol:
Again, wow. Do you really not have any comprehension of the power of advertising? How it manipulates and influences people? This sort of advertising campaign does huge damage particularly to young impressionable men in how they view women and in this day and age it should simply not be tolerated. Oh, and the argument that 'there are worse things going on in the world so therefore let's only show concern or distaste over those' is a pretty facile one. Where do you draw the line? You might be on the right side of the Pennines but you're certainly on the wrong side of this particular argument.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:58 pm
TigerChris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:28 pm

Again, wow. Do you really not have any comprehension of the power of advertising? How it manipulates and influences people? This sort of advertising campaign does huge damage particularly to young impressionable men in how they view women and in this day and age it should simply not be tolerated. Oh, and the argument that 'there are worse things going on in the world so therefore let's only show concern or distaste over those' is a pretty facile one. Where do you draw the line? You might be on the right side of the Pennines but you're certainly on the wrong side of this particular argument.
Firstly, it’s not an argument, it’s people giving different views on a subject and so there are no right or wrong sides. You have your opinion, I have mine. Agree to disagree comes to mind :thumbup:
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:58 pmThis sort of advertising campaign does huge damage particularly to young impressionable men in how they view women and in this day and age
That's quite a statement. Got anything to back it up?
'Tis me