Mariner Watches.

A place to discuss other watch-brands
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Mariner Watches.

Post by kiter65 »

WOW....just imagine what I could pull wearing one of my Rolex if you can get a couple of birds like that wearing one of their watches......roll on Friday night :escape:
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

kiter65 wrote:WOW....just imagine what I could pull wearing one of my Rolex if you can get a couple of birds like that wearing one of their watches......roll on Friday night :escape:
Always remember Richard, count the fingers and toes on those fen gals. Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Fair point Nick...we don’t have many that look like that round these parts :lol:
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

The pictures just do not make sense. The picture and the tag line don't match. Take the first picture. Look at the picture and ask yourself what is happening here? I would be very surprised if you came up with the slogan.
Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Arbor22 »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm I spend considerable time trying to educate my son to respect women and see them as equals. An ad like this, that objectifies women by presenting them as nothing more than on object to be lusted after and taken, like one would a glass of whiskey, makes it incredibly hard for me raise my son they way I want to. Every day he’s bombarded with messages that run counter to what I’m trying to do. I won’t even mention the implied physical force that comes with both his hand on her neck and the copy that accompanies the ad.

This ad plays into and reinforces social norms that regard women as objects to be possessed by men, Norms reinforced by centuries of patriarchy.

I don’t expect to convince anyone otherwise, but felt I ought to at least explain my viewpoint. I’ll agree to disagree and I’ll continue to battle to raise my son to not see women as objects. Sadly, most days now I feel like I’m losing the war, especially with ad compaigns like this.
I do not like what this ad implies. As a father of two girls it is reassuring to hear your efforts to raise your son with equality and respect in mind. :thumbup:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Arbor22 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:34 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm I spend considerable time trying to educate my son to respect women and see them as equals. An ad like this, that objectifies women by presenting them as nothing more than on object to be lusted after and taken, like one would a glass of whiskey, makes it incredibly hard for me raise my son they way I want to. Every day he’s bombarded with messages that run counter to what I’m trying to do. I won’t even mention the implied physical force that comes with both his hand on her neck and the copy that accompanies the ad.

This ad plays into and reinforces social norms that regard women as objects to be possessed by men, Norms reinforced by centuries of patriarchy.

I don’t expect to convince anyone otherwise, but felt I ought to at least explain my viewpoint. I’ll agree to disagree and I’ll continue to battle to raise my son to not see women as objects. Sadly, most days now I feel like I’m losing the war, especially with ad compaigns like this.
I do not like what this ad implies. As a father of two girls it is reassuring to hear your efforts to raise your son with equality and respect in mind. :thumbup:
Fighting the good fight, one front at a time!
Drew
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

SlowLoris wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:08 pm Yup. How's this for starters?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... ideal.html
Pretty hopeless actually. The article is meaningless as it doesn't give any data. It's also 6 years old and the data used for the research is now over 10 years old and very limited in it's scope. And the use of the word 'may' suggests it was hard to reach hard conclusions, but I guess the actual report would be needed for that. The comments were interesting though.

Look, I'm not saying that these ads are in the best possible taste, as dear old Kenny would say and I'm mildly surprised to see them promoting a watch, if for no other reason than they're terrible. But personally, I just found your response somewhat over-zealous. Maybe I'm wrong? Considering what 'impressionable young men' are exposed to these day's, I'd say these would be at the very lower scale of concern.

But anyway, this seems to have been done to death since my last visit.
'Tis me
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

Having followed this thread carefully I am concerned and outraged in equal measure and so feel I must comment :

1. I am seriously concerned that they have managed to hack mine and the wife's private photo collection.

2. I am absolutely outraged that they have photoshopped out my CW Trident and replaced it with these hideous creations.

Must go now as I am off to my first EMDR therapy session to address the PTSD that I have developed from being exposed to these deeply disturbing images.

Traumatised of Devon.
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Squatcho

Post by Squatcho »

Whether or not the photo is in good taste is up to the individual.

Assigning it political or social importance is ridiculous. There simply isn't enough context. This might represent a married couple celebrating a 10th anniversary in the privacy of their own home - after a night out and a nice dinner, and in a way that they both enjoy.

While the ad might offend some, recent history proves that the same ad - expanded into a 500 page novel - would be a big hit with women, on the NY Times best seller list, and spawn two feature length films.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Squatcho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:10 pmAssigning it political or social importance is ridiculous.
Amen to that and the rest of your post made me smile :thumbup:
'Tis me
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Squatcho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:10 pm
While the ad might offend some, recent history proves that the same ad - expanded into a 500 page novel - would be a big hit with women, on the NY Times best seller list, and spawn two feature length films.
Ah Mr Grey.....no relation I may add.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ Patrick was this you? :)
0495DAAE-A27B-4BA4-BFD1-38D575B7E7D0.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

nbg wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:15 pm ^^^^^ Patrick was this you? :)
0495DAAE-A27B-4BA4-BFD1-38D575B7E7D0.jpeg
Neil
:lol:

I’ve definitely been “chastised” before for doing that :wink:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Tally
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Tally »

I just find it highly amusing and sad that a current generation of people that have grown up on the likes of South Park and Family Guy are the ones that tend to be the most offended or looking to feign it at least.
Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

@Squatcho
Your post made me feel that I am not alone in this ever maddening World.

Thank You.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)