Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Calling speedmaster moonwatch (hesalite) owners

Post by Ian Mc »

Further to my post, a tale of two speedies:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51618

Omega service centre are surprised and have taken the ref no of the first affected watch to report back to Omega. They suggested I contact the Boutique in London, which I did. They could only say that anything they supply direct is perfect, but through dealers may be out of their control - a bit of a fob off I think.
Today, after a series of e mails to the dealer I originally bought from, they sent me a pic of a third model, with the same offset chrono hand issue, suggesting I decide for myself!! HUH?
I pointed out that it is clearly offset, but they returned by saying it is aligned with the Tacho!
Anyway, now the point of this post:
They indicated to me that ALL hesalite versions show this offset, while Sapphire versions do not, saying it is a result of the optical characteristics of the hesalite.
I find this hard to believe, but I am no optics expert.
So, if you own a hesalite version, is your chrono hand offset slightly? If you own a sapphire version, is it aligned perfectly?
Thanks in advance.
PS. I will be challenging this statement with Omega service centre and also on an Omega forum.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Calling speedmaster moonwatch (hesalite) owners

Post by Dancematt »

My chrono seconds hand is ofset but it was serviced by an independant a few years back. Thing is i think if you reset the chronograph enough times its possible it wont line up exactly straight after a while. Its not a quartz.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Dancematt wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 pm My chrono seconds hand is ofset but it was serviced by an independant a few years back. Thing is i think if you reset the chronograph enough times its possible it wont line up exactly straight after a while. Its not a quartz.
I can go with that to some extent, but, as a new, unused model, surely it should be spot on?
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

It's not something I've really noticed before...

It appears slightly offset in this picture, however, on the wrist not so much so...

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Ian Mc wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:50 pm
Dancematt wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 pm My chrono seconds hand is ofset but it was serviced by an independant a few years back. Thing is i think if you reset the chronograph enough times its possible it wont line up exactly straight after a while. Its not a quartz.
I can go with that to some extent, but, as a new, unused model, surely it should be spot on?
Perhaps they all go through alot of testing, im sure the watchmaker who put it together put it in the middle but product testing knocks it off most times. I wouldnt worry about it, i know mine has wriggle room. Some resets its off to the right and sometimes it'll be off to the left. Like a Gnats hair width or similar. A couple of seconds off is a no no.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
mibby
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by mibby »

Mine is spot on
CWL 2015 FLE, C8 Pilot, C80 Sector; C65 SC; Rolex (5); Omega (4); Tudor (2); Zenith; Breguet; Breitling; Seiko; Vostok (22); Strela; Poljot; Raketa; Sturmanskie; Sea-Gull (2); Universal; Oris; Roamer; Avia; Tissot
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Ian Mc - any chance you can post the photo you've been sent so we have an indication of what we are talking of?

@jtc - you second photo is taken from an angle, not head on. This will produce parallax error.

I've taken a look at my Moonwatch and, having started, stopped & reset the chrono the seconds hand looks spot on. :thumbup:

Photo to follow.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Here we go:
Attachments
IMG_6164.jpg
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Mine might be very very slightly to the right but it still sits within the white hour marker and it looks less far to the right of that marker than the above photo shows.

TBH - I can't really make my mind up if it does or not due to the curve of the Hesalite and my eyes just aren't good enough to spot it for definite, even with my specs on.

So for me mine looks ok.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Ian Mc wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:29 pmHere we go:

I agree Ian that, in this photo, the seconds hand looks slightly to the right BUT I believe that the photo has not been taken absolutely straight, causing parallax error.

Crazy thing is that, if I was taking the photo in the AD, I would have made sure it looks straight.

If you look carefully at the outer metal ring of the bezel / tachymetre at 9 and 3, and also the gap between the bezel and the dial, there is a subtle difference in width that will indicate it it not straight.

For the record, here are a couple of photos of mine, a 2004 model, which show (as far as I am concerned) that my Chrono seconds hand is correctly aligned.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I think that both the one I sold and the one I still have are ok.

However even if you have one where the seconds Chrono correctly resets, there is still another quirk for those of a nervous disposition.

It is often the case that the hour counter doesn’t move in a completely linear fashion. I.e. the Chrono has been running for half an hour, but the hour counter is more than half way between the hour marks. However by the time the hour is complete it will line up.

The point to bear in mind is that the Moonwatch is not haute horology. It’s basically an old movement that Omega still use because of the watches iconic status that is popular with watch collectors.

Owners need to cut them a bit of slack, or alternatively buy a more “modern” Speedmaster, which is where Omega concentrate their development.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Good point about the parallax error, Guy. I know that my Speedy resets dead straight, but most wrist shots are offset. This can make the hand look up to a second out. It isn’t.

Ian, if yours is indeed out of kilter its by about 0.1 sec.

The hésalite crystal is beautiful and warm, but it’s a sod for distortion especially at shallow angles. Also the seconds chronograph hand sits quite high above the dial, which increases the parallax.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Maraeburn
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Maraeburn »

Just checked mine, and possibly very fractionally to the left side of the 12 o clock marker but still within the overall marker width - but maybe like 0.1m left. However it looks like it lines up perfectly with the dot at the 60 on the bezel.

Took me about minute to see a difference, but I’m more than happy with this on mine.
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ceegee »

Just checked mine, looks plumb on to my old eyes :thumbup:
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

I will get to check mine, next week on my birthday.
It's in the loft, and I'm not sure, I won't be checking before then.

Regards
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39