Charlie Concordia - alternative for the C65 Diver

A place to discuss other watch-brands
nordwulf

Charlie Concordia - alternative for the C65 Diver

Post by nordwulf »

If you like the design of the new C65 Diver but don't like the logo, vintage lume and/or the date at 3, this may be a good alternative. I have never heard of this French company before and their watches are assembled in France. The story behind the Concordia is interesting as well.

The 38mm quartz movement is the Seiko VH31 and the 40 automatic is an ETA 2824-2. The 38mm is €295 and the 40mm with dive bezel is €695 so pretty competitive with the C65. I like it. I like it a lot. Especially the all symmetrical dial.

https://charlie-paris.com/pages/concordia
https://www.fratellowatches.com/charlie ... concordia/

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Charlie Concordia - alternative for the C65 Diver

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Case design is very slab sided and conventional, compared to the C65 Trident Diver.

Apart from that not bad.

Too small for me though.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

That does look good. Some watches really benefit from the date being implemented at 6.
Only takes a new date wheel I believe, unless ETA offer this off the shelf?

The chamfering on the lugs whilst becoming commonplace is nice attention to detail and the blue on the crown adds a little more interest to the case.

Not quite slabsided though Guy as there is at least a little curvature towards the end of the lugs.
This is a slab ...

Not a bad effort, but I'd still take the C65 (albeit in a slightly smaller size).
Ryan
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thanks for the post Nordwulf.

I like that especially the blue although the black with steel bezel has a bit of an Explorer/Smiths look to it so I like that also and the dial symmetry suits my eye better. The case side doesn't look much different to the present CW C60 600 Trident that many of us own and love so I don't see any problem with it.

While on their website I had a look at their other watches and they have some nice dial designs. They even have 1, the Power Reserve, with the logo at 9 ! It is centred though.

It's a shame the Concordia is a LE as I'm in a watch embargo period presently until various other watches are released but could return to them later in the year if nothing else captures my money.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I quite like the look of that. :thumbup:

Yep the case detail is not as intricate as on the CW65, but is intricate definitely better in all cases?

If I was looking for a “vintage inspired diver” in the £1k and under slot, I would look at something like the Yema.
B89C7B53-90BE-49AE-813D-85C5A21398FD.jpeg
Well not so much “vintage inspired”, more a current reissue of one of their own models.

I had the opportunity to handle one yesterday and was impressed.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

nbg wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:49 am If I was looking for a “vintage inspired diver” in the £1k and under slot, I would look at something like the Yema.
I’ve seem the Yema advertised here and there, with some good discounts. Overall I like it the look, but I can’t work out the think over the bezel at 3. Any explanations?

I quite like the Concordia too - interesting crown, which tapers from the case, though I do wonder if that will make it difficult to use. I think some of the Pinion watches have the same. Brand name Charlie puts me off though.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

0uatiOW wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm
nbg wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:49 am If I was looking for a “vintage inspired diver” in the £1k and under slot, I would look at something like the Yema.
I’ve seem the Yema advertised here and there, with some good discounts. Overall I like it the look, but I can’t work out the think over the bezel at 3. Any explanations?

I quite like the Concordia too - interesting crown, which tapers from the case, though I do wonder if that will make it difficult to use. I think some of the Pinion watches have the same. Brand name Charlie puts me off though.
It’s a bezel lock. You need to unscrew the crown, at which point the guard no longer locks the bezel and you can then move the bezel.

A bit of a faff if you are only using it to time the tea brewing, but I guess safer when used under water. :)

Whilst the height is stated at about 14mm, it doesn’t look tall, as a chunk of that is the rather nice crystal. Overall the watch felt well made, with a pleasing vintage vibe.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

0uatiOW wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm interesting crown, which tapers from the case, though I do wonder if that will make it difficult to use. I think some of the Pinion watches have the same.
I think it’s probably the Farer crowns that you may be thinking of? Pinions are fairly standard.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I think the watch is quite good looking, the name Charlie & Paris puts me off, sounds a bit like a ladies fragrance.

The Concordia name also reminds me of the Italian cruise ship that tragically ran aground a few years ago resulting in a number of deaths.

I agree that the black dialled photo immediately made me think of a Smiths Everest.

I didn't appreciate how the BLNR case lacked any real curviture at the ends, maybe my Sub is similar I just never noticed, although it has a slimmer profile regardless being a simple 3 hander.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

This watch was on Kickstarter with significant discounts.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... south-pole

Their website doesn't remove the VAT when you select a country outside the EU. Without the VAT, the automatic is about $700 so that's not a bad price. But I am also on a self-imposed buying stop and 40mm is just a bit too small for me as well.

The Seiko VH31 movement has sweep seconds and looks similar to an automatic movement. That's pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXOI5hI4_FM

0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:42 pm
0uatiOW wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:58 pm interesting crown, which tapers from the case, though I do wonder if that will make it difficult to use. I think some of the Pinion watches have the same.
I think it’s probably the Farer crowns that you may be thinking of? Pinions are fairly standard.
Yep you’re right, Farer, not Pinion. I like them, and the bronze crowns on steel watches did a nice contrast.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

0uatiOW wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:08 pm
TigerChris wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:42 pm
Yep you’re right, Farer, not Pinion. I like them, and the bronze crowns on steel watches did a nice contrast.
I’m with you, I really like the contrast of the bronze crowns, especially on the aqua compressor where there is one bronze and one steel crown.
MadG
Senior
Senior

Post by MadG »

My Charlie 38mm quartz has arrived.
Happy with it so far
Attachments
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I really like the look of the auto diver, especially in the blue. I'm curious, can anyone confirm that VAT is NOT charged when purchasing outside the EU? It sure looked like VAT is still charged. I wish the website had an option for English.
Drew
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Tax is included when you go through the check-out process for an address in the US, it is not automatically removed.

Total €845.00
Taxes de €137.50 incluse

Part of the website can be changed to English but the checkout process is in French only. I would send them a message asking how to order with the EU tax removed for shipments outside the EU.

https://charlie-paris.com/pages/contact