New arrival - I spy a Bremont

A place to discuss other watch-brands
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I've been through a few Bremonts over the years. The latest one is the U22 - a derivative of the U2, which is itself a variant of the Martin Baker series.

The U22 contains all the technical aspects of the MBII, with the anti-shock movement mount, the clicky inner bezel and the mutli-part hardened case. Inside is a day-date chronometer grade Sellita, with a decent spec and a Bremont rotor. This watch has an exhibition case back - which means it doesn't have a full faraday cage.

These are 43mm cases, but the lugs are pretty short (50mm Lug to Lug, I think), so they are very wearable. The MB/U2 series are not too tall either - even with the slightly domed crystal.

The U22 was launched a few years ago - as a development of a version made for a military edition. The main differences are the triple date window ( a divisive feature, I know), a steel grey dial, bronze coloured case insert and the adoption of a (largely pointless) compass bezel instead of a minute counter. Overall, the watch has a look that appeals to me. It's slightly more muted than the MBII and the triple date window is something I came to appreciate on an IWC I owned in the past.

The purchase from the AD in Birmingham (thanks to a tip-off on this forum) was pretty painless - although they did mix up the boxes/paperwork, meaning I have had to return those for a swap. They have been very apologetic about the error, and it's not a big deal.

My only disappointment with the overall package was the standard leather strap (this watch also comes with a rubber strap). The leather is (imo) a slghtly dodgy colour and I have already swapped it over. I have made a few pictures with a few straps below, but my well-used black calf leather is my favourite so far.

Anyway, enough words, here's a few not particularly great pictures:

Richard
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: New arrival - I spy a Bremont

Post by willttqs »

A great looking watch, I am very interested in the discounts on these, but have very little (none) spare cash at the moment.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Looks great Richard, it’s the date window that drew me to look at it first. Your crap pictures are still better than my good ones! Is it the colour of the strap that you don’t like?
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Congratulations again on getting this beauty Richard :clap:
It is a very good looking watch and I actually like the triple date window 8)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

A great purchase!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
downer

Post by downer »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 pm Looks great Richard, it’s the date window that drew me to look at it first. Your crap pictures are still better than my good ones! Is it the colour of the strap that you don’t like?
Thanks, Chris.

Yes, the grey strap is lighter (and a bit bluer) than the dial. It’s also a bit shiny. Having said that, it’s probably just a bit ‘new’, and I’m sure I’ll give it another try sometime. Bremont straps are very well made, but they do take a bit of wearing-in.
Richard
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

downer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:06 pm
TigerChris wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:31 pm Looks great Richard, it’s the date window that drew me to look at it first. Your crap pictures are still better than my good ones! Is it the colour of the strap that you don’t like?
Thanks, Chris.

Yes, the grey strap is lighter (and a bit bluer) than the dial. It’s also a bit shiny. Having said that, it’s probably just a bit ‘new’, and I’m sure I’ll give it another try sometime. Bremont straps are very well made, but they do take a bit of wearing-in.
That surprises me, it looks a decent match in Bremonts pics. I’m gonna give the leather a go for a few days, but can see me swapping to rubber fairly quick - we shall see. How is the rubber strap? I’m looking forward to my first venture into the world of Bremont. I’ve liked them for a long time, but can only now justify adding one, even though I am planning on selling of 3 or 4 that I hardly wear to make way. I seem to have bought quite a few that I like the look of, but aren’t quite ‘me’ and so just sit in the box.
downer

Post by downer »

^^^ I’ll be interested in your thoughts on the temple island rubber strap. I have tried them in the past but never really stuck at it. In fact the only rubber straps I have got along with have been moulded at the lugs (Sinn, citizen and Bremont).
Richard
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That is a nice looking Bremont. The case is beautifully constructed and looks surprisingly svelte in those photos which is something that has put me off them in the past (the lack of svelteness that is).

I quite like the IWC-esque date window too.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

downer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 pm ^^^ I’ll be interested in your thoughts on the temple island rubber strap. I have tried them in the past but never really stuck at it. In fact the only rubber straps I have got along with have been moulded at the lugs (Sinn, citizen and Bremont).
I’ll report back when I’ve tried it. It’s gonna have to be good to compete with the oris rubber with extension clasp and the rubberb I have on my Black Bay. As you know, I am a fan of rubber straps. I was impressed with the integrated rubber strap on the S500 I tried on, and I have read that they do fit the MB/U2 cases.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:40 pm That is a nice looking Bremont. The case is beautifully constructed and looks surprisingly svelte in those photos which is something that has put me off them in the past (the lack of svelteness that is).

I quite like the IWC-esque date window too.
How would it compare, dimensions wise, to your Panerai, Patrick?
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

The Bremont posts around here have me intrigued. I’m watching.

@robotazky
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

downer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:29 pm
Love the strap! Any info on it? Beautiful watch, too! Congratulations.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Just a very nice, legible and quality watch. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mr Broadside
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Mr Broadside »

Great pictures of a lovely watch. I’m insanely jealous of the 30% deals on the Bremont watches back in the UK. Almost worth a trip home to do a bit of shopping!