A snowy incoming (Speedmaster Content)

A place to discuss other watch-brands
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

I recently traded out my red Aqua Terra for this white/beige/cream Speedmaster Date during my trip to Canada, where it has snowed pretty heavily the last few days. It’s 40mm and wears well, interesting size between the 42mm Speedmaster Moonwatch and the 38mm Reduced. I’ve definitely come around on the Speedmaster design personally (I was not a huge fan) and this is my first one. It’s definitely not a popular or particularly great version I feel but it’s very nice and interesting with that classic white dial Daytona aesthetic. I feel that this watch is much nicer in person than it looked in pics.

This is an older model with a Valjoux 7753 based movement and the wobble is present :D The serial number is 84.9million (dates to 2008). I didn’t know the service history but the watch is keeping excellent time within chronometer specs so I’m happy. I have never been able to keep white dial watches very long but this is beige, and it was an impulsive purchase again and we’ll see :)

Makes a good pair with my vintage black dial Submariner.

There is a park bench under the snow (taken at the University of Toronto).

Frozen Lake Ontario view from CN Tower.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: A snowy incoming (Speedmaster Content)

Post by Mikkei4 »

I realize you may not be in Canada still but that picture of the snow-less pavement (sidewalk) and road makes me laugh. If we'd had a quarter of that depth of snow in the UK our roads would not have been cleared and we'd all be walking and slipping on the snow on the walkways. And if we'd had that full amount of snow we'd probably shut the UK and stay indoors until it disappeared naturally.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 pm I realize you may not be in Canada still but that picture of the snow-less pavement (sidewalk) and road makes me laugh. If we'd had a quarter of that depth of snow in the UK our roads would not have been cleared and we'd all be walking and slipping on the snow on the walkways. And if we'd had that full amount of snow we'd probably shut the UK and stay indoors until it disappeared naturally.
The government would have issued red weather warnings, the trains would be cancelled, schools closed, shops sold out of bread/milk etc. What a pathetic nation we are at coping with a bit of poor weather :thumbdown:

Back on topic, I really like your new Speedy Om. The cream dial does make an interesting change from white, legibility looks excellent, there are lots of nice details on the dial without it being too crowded. Size of course is also excellent at 40mm. As you say the reduced is a little too small for a lot of tastes whereas the regular Speedy on the largish side.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

It’s very rare I see a speed master that I like, this is one of them. I’ve never seen that one before, but I really like it. Great pick up. I’m not going to get into ranting about how a bit of snow effects us over here these days though, I might get carried away and end up typing things that will get deleted, and probably get me a nice little PM from a mod :lol:
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I like that a lot, and it goes v well with the Sub.
Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Arbor22 »

You have great Eye for watches,the beige / cream dial gives it a vintage feel without being too 'faux' if you get my meaning. I'm generally not a fan of white dial watches, but this I like. A lot!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I am very much liking that Om. Forms a great pair with your wonderful Rolex.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Quite a looker...oh, well, another candidate for my short list!!.. :)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Very smart indeed Om and, with the steel bezel, it is a good contrast to your Sub.

Safe journey home, or perhaps you're back already.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

No wonder none of us could work out from the pictures of the back plate only what Omega it was - it's not 1 I've seen or been aware of before.

I agree with others comments, it's a really nice watch with an attractive dial.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

Thegreyman wrote:
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 pm I realize you may not be in Canada still but that picture of the snow-less pavement (sidewalk) and road makes me laugh. If we'd had a quarter of that depth of snow in the UK our roads would not have been cleared and we'd all be walking and slipping on the snow on the walkways. And if we'd had that full amount of snow we'd probably shut the UK and stay indoors until it disappeared naturally.
The government would have issued red weather warnings, the trains would be cancelled, schools closed, shops sold out of bread/milk etc. What a pathetic nation we are at coping with a bit of poor weather :thumbdown:

Back on topic, I really like your new Speedy Om. The cream dial does make an interesting change from white, legibility looks excellent, there are lots of nice details on the dial without it being too crowded. Size of course is also excellent at 40mm. As you say the reduced is a little too small for a lot of tastes whereas the regular Speedy on the largish side.
Thanks, I imagine Gary might complain about legibility with the silver hands on a cream dial and the hands not having black edging :D but yeah, it’s been decently legible.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

TigerChris wrote:It’s very rare I see a speed master that I like, this is one of them. I’ve never seen that one before, but I really like it. Great pick up. I’m not going to get into ranting about how a bit of snow effects us over here these days though, I might get carried away and end up typing things that will get deleted, and probably get me a nice little PM from a mod :lol:
Thanks, I have been very impressed by Canada too. I have never lived anywhere that it snowed (ever) and I have never witnessed a snowfall (ever) so this was pretty magical for me.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

atnits wrote:I like that a lot, and it goes v well with the Sub.
Cheers!
Arbor22 wrote:You have great Eye for watches,the beige / cream dial gives it a vintage feel without being too 'faux' if you get my meaning. I'm generally not a fan of white dial watches, but this I like. A lot!
Thanks, yes definitely a little bit of a vintage charm.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:I am very much liking that Om. Forms a great pair with your wonderful Rolex.
Thanks! The movement is not an Omega coaxial or a manual wind but suits this watch well I think and I also think the thickness does not look off with the proportions (I assume it’s around 14 mm thick)
Thunder1 wrote:Quite a looker...oh, well, another candidate for my short list!!.. :)
Thanks, and cheers.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Very smart indeed Om and, with the steel bezel, it is a good contrast to your Sub.

Safe journey home, or perhaps you're back already.

Guy
Thanks Guy, I’ll be in Vancouver for the next week, and hoping to meet a forum member there as well.
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

Mikkei4 wrote:No wonder none of us could work out from the pictures of the back plate only what Omega it was - it's not 1 I've seen or been aware of before.

I agree with others comments, it's a really nice watch with an attractive dial.
Cheers, its not a common one, but then, I don’t think it was a very desirable/sellout watch in the first place. It’s a pretty cheap way to get into a Speedmaster though, apart from the Speedy Racing. The red Aqua Terra was a very rare and special watch but I was just not wearing the red dial very much. I definitely like the steel bezel.