Smiths Everest PRS-25

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Tempus

Smiths Everest PRS-25

Post by Tempus »

Has anybody got any experience of the Smiths Everest PRS-25?

I’m on a Rolex AD’s waiting list for the Explorer 1 but the wait is never ending, and the more time I have to reflect on it, is it really worth £5K? whereas the Smiths is just £320.....but is it’s quality/performance reflective of that low price?.....it’s appearance in photos certainly gives out the same visuals as the Explorer 1.

The closest in the CW range to my eye is the C65 Trident Vintage Edition on the S/S bracelet and that is £660, I’ve handled and tried that on, I liked it but would really appreciate feedback from anybody on the Forum who has actually got or had first hand experience of the Smiths as it’s less than half the price of the CW.

Regards,

Tempus
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Smiths Everest PRS-25

Post by timor54 »

Not tried myself but seems to be popular and there are plans for a version with a cream dial (TZ-UK forum info).
Tim
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I have been looking at this as well. Looks like a nice copy of a vintage Explorer with a reliable Miyota movement. The Smiths and Everest name is a bit gimmicky and there isn't really any history behind it. But the same can be said for the Ward C65.

There is a thread with user experiences here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php? ... est-PRS-25

I am very tempted to get one when they open ordering again next week. It's good looking watch in a nice size and for a nice price.

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nordwulf wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:51 pm. . . . . The Smiths and Everest name is a bit gimmicky and there isn't really any history behind it. . . . . . .

Who are you kidding?

Smiths is a long established English watch manufacturer as you can read in Smiths Watches; More than Mount Everest with the Everest connection being due to one being carried by Edmund Hillary on the historic first ascent of Everest in 1953 (he also carried a Rolex, somewhat to the frustration of both brands it doesn’t appear that he actually wore either of them!)

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Pinched from TZ-UK, current (black) and future models.

CE3FBA80-32D0-4A15-B2F2-D5AD7E38EDB3.jpeg
I quite like the cream.
Tim
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:23 pm Who are you kidding?

Smiths is a long established English watch manufacturer as you can read in Smiths Watches; More than Mount Everest with the Everest connection being due to one being carried by Edmund Hillary on the historic first ascent of Everest in 1953 (he also carried a Rolex, somewhat to the frustration of both brands it doesn’t appear that he actually wore either of them!)

Guy
Timefactors is just using the Smiths brand name, the original Smiths company you are referring to doesn't exist anymore. And the Explorer this watch is modeled after was not taken to Everest by Hillary.

So the Smiths name is just a copy of the original like the watch design. It's like a homage watch with a homage brand name and homage model name.

https://blog.crownandcaliber.com/mount-everest-watches/
If you want a Smiths watch today, you’ve got a couple of options. You can scour the forums and eBay for vintage examples, or you can buy a Timefactors “Smiths” watch. The former is the only way to get a real Smiths watch, and the latter is the same in name only.
This is the real Smiths Everest watch.

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Tempus wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:53 pm Has anybody got any experience of the Smiths Everest PRS-25?

I’m on a Rolex AD’s waiting list for the Explorer 1 but the wait is never ending, and the more time I have to reflect on it, is it really worth £5K? whereas the Smiths is just £320.....but is it’s quality/performance reflective of that low price?.....it’s appearance in photos certainly gives out the same visuals as the Explorer 1.

The closest in the CW range to my eye is the C65 Trident Vintage Edition on the S/S bracelet and that is £660, I’ve handled and tried that on, I liked it but would really appreciate feedback from anybody on the Forum who has actually got or had first hand experience of the Smiths as it’s less than half the price of the CW.

Regards,

Tempus
Have you cleared it with SWMBO? :lol: :lol:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nordwulf wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:23 pm Who are you kidding?

Guy
Timefactors is just using the Smiths brand name, the original Smiths company you are referring to doesn't exist anymore. And the Explorer this watch is modeled after was not taken to Everest by Hillary.

So the Smiths name is just a copy of the original like the watch design. It's like a homage watch with a homage brand name and homage model name.

https://blog.crownandcaliber.com/mount-everest-watches/
If you want a Smiths watch today, you’ve got a couple of options. You can scour the forums and eBay for vintage examples, or you can buy a Timefactors “Smiths” watch. The former is the only way to get a real Smiths watch, and the latter is the same in name only.
This is the real Smiths Everest watch.

Thanks for the clarification. Image

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

timor54 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:26 pm Pinched from TZ-UK, current (black) and future models.

CE3FBA80-32D0-4A15-B2F2-D5AD7E38EDB3.jpeg

I quite like the cream.
And me but I like the black as well. I think the cream should have the new rivet bracelet when it's released
Neil
AdDaMan
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by AdDaMan »

Why not a Tudor Black Bay 41/36? Not far off the rolex at all imo, and a hell of a lot cheaper.
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by keepitsimple »

Tempus wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:53 pm Has anybody got any experience of the Smiths Everest PRS-25?

Regards,

Tempus
I have the original version of the PRS-25. The newer current versions (I think there is now a 36 & 38mm option) have sapphire crystals. Mine has an acrylic crystal which I suppose is a bit more retro.

I also have a 214270 Explorer I so can give you a bit of a comparison.

Is the Rolex worth getting on for 15+ times the price ? Well, no - but then in a sane world is any watch ? Thing is, I wanted one.

The Smiths is very well made and finished - I think mine was manufactured by Roland Kemmner. Current versions are, I think, made in HK, but allegedly with finish as good as or even better than the older version.

The Miyota 9015 movement * is accurate and very precise, especially for a non-chronometer rated movement. Mine runs at an average (on a timing machine) of 0 over 5 positions, and a very tight delta of 6. Very commendable for any movement. On the wrist it's about +1per day. The Rolex is identical ! 0 average and 6 delta. On the wrist also about +1.

It took a little bit of regulation to get the Smiths to that but it wasn't that tricky. Clearly, there's no need to mess with the Rolex, and I wouldn't dare tackle a free sprung balance anyway !

Like any watches, the on the wrist of both is going to vary a little depending on what you're doing while wearing it.

The bracelet that came with the Smiths is OK considering the price, but I put it onto a strap anyway. I think the newer bracelets are a cut above with an improved clasp.

The Rolex is a beautiful watch, and has the best bracelet and clasp I've ever worn.

At the price the Smiths is a very very good watch. Side by side with a current Explorer 1,while they share the same sort of design aesthetic, they are significantly different. The Smiths is more like the earlier Explorers such as the much sought after 1016.

I have a lot of watches to choose from, but I think I probably wear the Smiths more than the Rolex.

* single examples of movements can be very misleading, but I do have another watch with a Miyota 9015 which is not quite as good (delta of 10) but still well up there with the best.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

AdDaMan wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:59 pm Why not a Tudor Black Bay 41/36? Not far off the rolex at all imo, and a hell of a lot cheaper.
SWMBO has already said he has to get rid of the BB58 to fund the 2 new CW purchases, so forget the 41 or 36 Tudor. The Smiths is a replacement for the rolex due to the price. BB58 goes, replaced by the 2 CW’s and the smiths, job done. He’s not allowed the rolex. A new skirt is on order for Tempus, together with a new pair of trousers for SWMBO :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oldhooky
Guru
Guru

Post by Oldhooky »

I've had the original and now have the new 36mm version. The original didn't't quite capture the essence of the 1016 - most dimensions for me were out, whether the case size or the hands. But the 36mm is bang on. Slight modifications to the hands, dial colour, font colour for Everest, and of course a case size truer to the original. It also looks better on the wrist - the original, as per the Explorer, in a larger case lose some of the character of the original. Like middle age, a little bit bloated :)

It's a charming piece, and yes, enough to not need to consider the pursuit of the 1016. No other "homage" has come close to the feel of an original, in any style, and I've had MKII, Steinhart and a few others.

IMHO, the best piece he's produced.
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by keepitsimple »

Oldhooky wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:38 pm I've had the original and now have the new 36mm version. The original didn't't quite capture the essence of the 1016 - most dimensions for me were out, whether the case size or the hands. But the 36mm is bang on. Slight modifications to the hands, dial colour, font colour for Everest, and of course a case size truer to the original. It also looks better on the wrist - the original, as per the Explorer, in a larger case lose some of the character of the original. Like middle age, a little bit bloated :)

It's a charming piece, and yes, enough to not need to consider the pursuit of the 1016. No other "homage" has come close to the feel of an original, in any style, and I've had MKII, Steinhart and a few others.

IMHO, the best piece he's produced.
Have to agree about the proportions of the original PRS-25 not being quite right - the bezel/frame is a tad too thick, the minute markers a little too long, you can't see "EVEREST" and a smaller size would suit the simple dial design better. I've thought about getting the new version as well and keeping it on the bracelet if it's a better one than the original version.

I think I paid £245 for the original version about 3 years ago, so there's quite an increase in price.

Personally, I think the PRS29 is one of Eddie's best and closest to the original - and the right size too. One of my favourite watches.

There will never be agreement about watch sizing. I don't like large watches - they look ridiculous on most people - but equally don't agree about the 214270 Explorer being bloated - it's 11mm thick, and 39mm diameter and very comfortable and unobtrusive to wear. Actually quite small by today's standards, although I recall the howls of anguish - probably largely from people who would never own one anyway - when it was launched :) In comparison the original PRS25 I have to agree is a bit hefty.

I think I've just talked myself into getting the new PRS-25......
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

TigerChris wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Regards,

Tempus
Have you cleared it with SWMBO? :lol: :lol:

Hi TigerChris.........Mrs. Tempus picked me out and bought a rather nice Grand Seiko this morning.....so, I’m skipping the Smiths for now