Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Alan Sugar’s [overvalued] Rolex collection

Post by Ceegee »

Saw this in the Mail on Sunday today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... sodes.html

It’s not like the The Mail to exaggerate :wink: but just check out their finger in the air valuations. I’ve no idea how they got to £20k to £90k for the Batman and I’m sure I’ve seen the ceramic Daytona for less than £20k. Anyhoo, forget the used prices, I’m sure Lord Sugar doesn’t have any issues with Rolex waiting lists.
kyoto
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 4

Re: Alan Sugar’s [overvalued] Rolex collection

Post by kyoto »

I am sure you're right about the Rolex waiting list. Would be nice to have friends in high places too.
Ceegee wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:29 pm Saw this in the Mail on Sunday today.

It’s not like the The Mail to exaggerate :wink: but just check out their finger in the air valuations. I’ve no idea how they got to £20k to £90k for the Batman and I’m sure I’ve seen the ceramic Daytona for less than £20k. Anyhoo, forget the used prices, I’m sure Lord Sugar doesn’t have any issues with Rolex waiting lists.
No doubt the £20k Daytona is a white gold one as their list price for stainless is around £12k.
kyoto
Junior
Junior

Post by kyoto »

Wouldn't Alan Sugar be a useful Ambassador for Rolex with his media coverage, as such he would have the watches supplied and they would be sourced not via the normal AD network we mortals have to use.
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by Ceegee »

kyoto wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:04 pm Wouldn't Alan Sugar be a useful Ambassador for Rolex with his media coverage, as such he would have the watches supplied and they would be sourced not via the normal AD network we mortals have to use.
You would think so but according to his own tweets it appears he buys from high street retailers just like the next bloke. Although his tweets, and various newspaper articles, suggest he has a good relationship with a Rolex AD on the south coast and has bought from them on several occasions.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

"Rich man owns expensive things". That right there is some hard hitting journalism. Probably prize worthy.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
kyoto
Junior
Junior

Post by kyoto »

Ceegee wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 am
kyoto wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:04 pm Wouldn't Alan Sugar be a useful Ambassador for Rolex with his media coverage, as such he would have the watches supplied and they would be sourced not via the normal AD network we mortals have to use.
You would think so but according to his own tweets it appears he buys from high street retailers just like the next bloke. Although his tweets, and various newspaper articles, suggest he has a good relationship with a Rolex AD on the south coast and has bought from them on several occasions.
I live on the South Coast and all ADs I have spoken with are saying they are bombarded with phone calls, particularly from the US, so he must be on very good terms. Apparently with tax etc, the UK is the cheapest place, if only you could get one.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

A somewhat more straightforward report, this morning, on the subject from WatchPro.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:44 pm A somewhat more straightforward report, this morning, on the subject from WatchPro.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
the numbers are still equally wrong though!
Cheers now, Paul
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

Ceegee wrote:Saw this in the Mail on Sunday today.

Perhaps they found listings for Pan-Am.