UncleDicky
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 7

shock absorption

Post by UncleDicky »

OK,
Here's one for you.

I was chopping wood (stop giggling at the back!) for the fire yesterday and was wearing my Protrek. It got me thinking.
I have a collection of axes (don't ask) and yesterday was using a bearded norse style axe of the type that would have been used on monks and villagers by your common-or-garden viking circa 800AD. This means it also has quite a light and thin blade, which is also very sharp. This makes it very easy to use especially for chopping up pallets etc for kindling as the sharpness of the blade means it will cut though softwood up to about 2 inches thick with a single blow (cross grain) and can also be used to split logs. It has a 3 foot long ash shaft.

Anyway, every time you strike something hard with an axe like this you get quite a shock up your arms (you tend not to get this with a heavier blade like on a modern wood axe) and it made me think about this sort of activity if you were wearing a mechanical watch. I make a point of either wearing a digital or no watch or my Elliot Brown quartz (which has an internal anti shock system which uses elastomers and can survive very severe jolts indeed).

In short- if you are doing such labour - chopping, digging, hammering etc. Would you be comfortable wearing a mechanical watch to do so - even one with the incablock system?
How robust is your average automatic field watch/diver
C9 Marine Chronometer Small Seconds, C8 Mk2 Aviator, C600 Trident Pro; Lum-Tec Combat B19, Elliot Brown Canford, Smiths Everest, Casio Protrek.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: shock absorption

Post by jtc »

I googled shock absorber, found the below.

Not sure how it would compare to a NATO or similar.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

NO PARKING
This space is reserved
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by copemanphoto »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers, Mike.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Korkki wrote: ↑Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:10 pm Image
:clap: :clap: :lol: :thumbup:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I too often chop wood both splitting logs and smaller stuff for kindling and have sometimes forgotten that I was wearing an auto (Seiko 5 so not incabloc but similar) never had a problem that I have noticed though of course timekeeping would be affected. But better I think to take it off, I much prefer not to risk it!

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Korkki you're an absolute star mate :thumbup:
I PMSL :lol:

Re: Shock Absorber system...currently on the list for the Formex Essence with a very unique and unusual case shock absorber system.
UncleDicky
Guru
Guru

Post by UncleDicky »

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰πŸ€˜πŸ€˜πŸ€˜
C9 Marine Chronometer Small Seconds, C8 Mk2 Aviator, C600 Trident Pro; Lum-Tec Combat B19, Elliot Brown Canford, Smiths Everest, Casio Protrek.
UncleDicky
Guru
Guru

Post by UncleDicky »

I think I'd better go and... Ahem.... Chop some wood... 😜
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I suspect that the risk is overblown, but is still very real. Subject a mechanical movement to enough violent shocks, and eventually you may damage it. In the interest of science, I have frequently worn my Alpha Sub (featuring a cheap, poor-quality DG movement) for hammering, woodchopping, etc, and it still works as well as it ever did. I figure if a bottom of the barrel Chinese movement that is well past due for a service can withstand the intentional abuse, any decent watch should tolerate occasional shocks.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.