Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: The Oris Robert Kubica LE

Post by reggie747 »

DISJT wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Having served my apprenticeship with a lad with one leg, I can assure you, he never once took the "going down the pub to get legless" jokes as offensive or in poor taste, nor did he let it restrict his life in any way , shape of form.
I knew a bloke in footy years ago with 3 legs ( well at least it looked like he had a 3rd leg........) :problem:
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
DISJT
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by DISJT »

:lol:
I have to admit to feeling quite guilty when he went to kick the ball one day and his prosthetic leg followed the ball into the net. He didn't care we were all laughing like buggery as he'd just scored.
CHRIS
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Let me be perfectly clear regarding Tyke's departure.

Regardless of my personal opinion, the post in question may have been seen as offensive and/or in poor taste to some members and may even be considered perfectly acceptable by others in a closed group or different environment.

There was no move by the Admin Team to advocate for, or delete, said post. Tyke had the option to delete his own post and chose not to.

Rather, he contacted me to suspend his account and gave me the option to delete.

Tyke's choice to leave was entirely his own.

I would also like to add that the moderators, in accepting the position, agreed to uphold the forum rules and ethos regardless of what their own opinion may be on any given subject. They are also free to express their opinions the same as everyone else.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:05 pm
Tyke wrote:Not gallows humour fans then?
Please feel free to delete it if it offends.
Deletion is the easy option.

Public chastisement is maybe more appropriate.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
I’m afraid sometimes the easy option is the best and quickest way to deal with things. Especially at the request of the so called offender! Public chastisement is not appropriate!
Dean
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

As has already been stated Tyke was perfectly able to delete his own post.

There was no need to from a 'moderation' point of view.

He didn't.

Guy

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:10 am As has already been stated Tyke was perfectly able to delete his own post.

He didn't.

Guy

I think it was correct to give him the option to delete his own post. But after he didn’t delete his own post, I think it would have been better for you, as a moderator to have deleted it rather than invite “public chastisement” and think it “maybe more appropriate”!
Dean
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard D »

I’ve just read this thread. Am I offended? No, I’m more disappointed in that a watch dedicated to a talented racing driver ends with so much bad taste.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes

Post by scooter »

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

scooter wrote:Image

scooter
Bravo Scoots!

Everything is better with puffins.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

This is an “Other Brands” thread, I am not sure if Puffins are allowed, as it was not clearly articulated by the OP that they were an acceptable image in this thread.

Oh go on then, if you insist.
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

DISJT wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:25 pmThe joke was bloody funny. I'm baffled why anyone would feel upset about something that has absolutely no bearing on their lives. I wonder how you go about your daily lives if you are so easily offended?
Whilst the joke meant nothing to me as I know nothing of the guy, I do feel the latest trend is to exclaim how offended you are by what someone else has said, rather than just letting it go. Personally, I feel faux sanctimony is the greater crime and both Stephen Fry and Rowen Atkinson have had their say about that and It's pretty pathetic really. But then again, we live in a World gone mad and it's a shame it's now appearing here. I blame it on Brexit.
'Tis me
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Tyke wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:51 pm Which one of the hands won't work properly?
LOL
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

For all the party poopers
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

golfjunky wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:57 pm For all the party poopers
And that's the cleaned up version!
'Tis me
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

Whilst I hesitate to get involved and this will probably make me unpopular, my own view was that it was in very bad taste. Mocking someone for a disability isn’t on, however clever and sharp-witted the joke.

Humour is rarely black and white and it often stretches boundaries, but in my view, that was over the line.

Does that make me offended on someone else’s behalf? Or a snowflake? Or insert your own ****? I don’t think so (of course I wouldn’t). But I also don’t think there is any place for casual derogation of an important part of our society in that way. For me, that kind of attitude influences in a very small way, but it does influence nonetheless, the perception of and the discrimination that disabled people undoubtedly suffer.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s all a bit of a storm in a teacup. I thought it was over the line, but I wouldn’t (and didn’t) report the post. Frankly, there are far, far more important things to get worked up about than a random joke on a forum on the internet.

At the same time, given the way this thread has gone, I do want to counter some of the views expressed (and what may even be the consensus) that it is some huge over-reaction by overly sensitive snowflakes and that it’s just a joke.

To reiterate, the poster mocked someone for their disability. Is it really any surprise that someone pulled him up on it? It’s not to me. It’s more a surprise that they were the person that went off in a flounce afterwards when the inevitable happened.

I know I’m pretty unlikely to change anyone’s view (which they are clearly entitled to), but maybe my post might make someone see another perspective.

Anyway, I’ll go back to commenting occasionally on watches.... this one was pretty rubbish incidentally.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard