If you want to buy a Rolex

A place to discuss other watch-brands
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: If you want to buy a Rolex

Post by golfjunky »

^^^thanks^^^^
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I am absolutely no expert in this field, Greg, but I did go into our local Norwich AD a few weeks ago on precisely this kind of mission.

To be fair, I do have customer cred with the outlet, having bought a Cartier in 2016 and a Speedmaster in 2017.

I didn’t have a lot of time, but was told that the idea of waiting lists for certain Rolex models is not a myth. At least that is, if you go for new via the AD.

OPs and DJs were available to take away on the day, but he implied that the Explorer I might take a few months, and the Explorer II rather less because they didn’t currently have a waiting list and would simply have to order.

As an official dealer, apparently, they are not allowed to charge over RRP.

I didn’t enquire about Subs, Daytonas &c. because it was a quick visit.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

It really is a tricky one nowdays Greg. It isnt an easy situation for the dealers either. Many of them get so few of the sports professional models that I understand why they want to look after the local repeat customers.
The dealer I used previously in colchester for my milguass and black bay closed so I now use the the next closest which it still a fair old trek away. I initially bought a speedie and a a rolex op for my missus. Both easy to get hold of. Then as I I liked lisas op so much I bought the blue one.
This seems to be just enough to get your foot in the door. I have had my name down for a hulk with them for about a year and the new ceramic pepsi since the minute it was announced.
My dealer chappie is a really nice and honest guy and has told me I have no chance of a pepsi whatsoever but I should get the hulk early next year. (Hence the zenith has gone back up for sale) While we were discussing this he disappeared to the safe and came back with the black sub and said I could have it if I wanted it and I would still stay on the lists for the other two.
This is obviously only as I had bought 3 others in the past 12 months.

From your position it is going to be difficult to pick up a sub new at rrp. Preowned from an individual rather than a watchfinder will be your easiest and cheapest route in I would think.
Good luck mate and you never know, when / if my hulk turns up I may decide not to keep both although unlikely, I might be able to help you out.
Cheers now, Paul
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Thanks all. I was just wondering about the whole process. I am curious as to how you start the process. I suppose I have just heard to many scare stories of 2yr waiting lists and all the other stuff.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Forgive me if this seems like something of a jaded view, Greg, but it is purely an observation and not, as I said earlier, an expert view.

In some ways the situation is paralleled by certain golf clubs (which I suspect you will know something about), dining clubs, “London Clubs” and other institutions. The old money doesn’t wait, because who you are, whom you know and where you went to school are all factors that open doors. Witness the chaps in their twenties wearing MCC ties. The nouveaux also tend to get what they want because they can chuck cash at it, they quickly make themselves known and their favour is worth currying.

The loser in all these situations is the person who perhaps has a lifelong desire to own their perfect watch or belong to their dream organisation, but hasn’t the wherewithal, celebrity clout or ancient connexions to do it the quick or easy way.

I suppose the commonsense route is to ask yourself exactly how important that particular watch or membership of that particular institution really is to you.

This kind of thing used to bother me...a lot...but I must say that as I have got a bit older I have rather taken the view that I don’t want to join any club that doesn’t want me as a member.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:57 am Forgive me if this seems like something of a jaded view, Greg, but it is purely an observation and not, as I said earlier, and expert for you.

In some ways the situation is paralleled by certain golf clubs (which I suspect you will know something about), dining clubs, “London Clubs” and other institutions. The old money doesn’t wait, because who you are, whom you know and where you went to school are all factors that open doors. Witness the chaps in their twenties wearing MCC ties. The nouveaux also tend to get what they want because they can chuck cash at it, they quickly make themselves known and their favour is worth currying.

The loser in all these situations is the person who perhaps has a lifelong desire to own their perfect watch or belong to their dream organisation, but hasn’t the wherewithal, celebrity clout or ancient connexions to do it the quick or easy way.

I suppose the commonsense route is to ask yourself exactly how important that particular watch or membership of that particular institution really is to you.

This kind of thing used to bother me...a lot...but I must say that as I have got a bit older I have rather taken the view that I don’t want to join any club that doesn’t want me as a member.
Matches my feelings exactly. ^^^^
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

The only relationship an AD wants, is with a wallet and they don’t care whose.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:57 am This kind of thing used to bother me...a lot...but I must say that as I have got a bit older I have rather taken the view that I don’t want to join any club that doesn’t want me as a member.
Don’t you mean “I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member” :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

It'sAliveJim wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:02 am Christ on a bike :lol:

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:57 amI suppose the commonsense route is to ask yourself exactly how important that particular watch or membership of that particular institution really is to you.

This is the best thing about getting older. I'm amazed at how many things that would have gotten me worked up in my 20s don't even register now that I'm pushing 50. It's all about perspective and priorities realigned by experience and wisdom.
Drew
r-macus
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by r-macus »

Its rolex doing what rolex is best at. Brand hype and marketing. Making it seem exclusive and a selection process. Never no bother to the celebs or well off, I doubt they wait 2 years. But the pleb on the street won't promote their product enough.
STOC : Seiko sarb033 / Seiko srp775 / Christopher ward c60 trident pro vintage / Zelos swordfish / Certina ds podium / Yema 011-ba / Luminox seaturtle 0301 
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Saw a Rolex Explorer 1 in the window of Goldsmiths, in the mall adjacent to The Bullring, in Birmingham, a couple of weeks ago.

It was new and at RRP. They were very happy to sell it to me though.

Shame I didn’t have enough dosh!

Edit: I forgot to say that I have no previous relationship with this AD, as I hadn’t been to Birmingham in over ten years.
Steve.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

If you want to buy from an AD then it certainly helps if you build up a relationship.
I buy off forums, ebay, shops, AD's, other sources, but specifically, and as an example, for the Rolex Explorer I that I recently acquired, it was offered to me based on the fact that I had that relationship with the AD and had literally just come in (was unpacked before my eyes).
(Caveat: the AD I have a relationship with is a family run business so, let's say, its more personal than your high street AD's)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

There are 2 Rolex AD's in Edinburgh. I went into both, with no previous history or purchases whatsoever, and probably not really looking like a monied ex-public school boy (no offence if you went to public school btw) and put my name down for a no date sub. After less than two months I got a call from one AD saying there was one for me if I wanted it (I bought and still own) and the other AD called me about a further two months later (I declined the offer to buy that one). So it's not really that mystical. I guess being a customer of the AD then helped me get the first Tudor GMT they got into the shop. So unless you are going for an ultra rare watch like a Pepsi, Daytona etc then it's entirely possible to buy a Rolex without being a regular customer or being able to give them the funny handshake....
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Thanks guys