If you want to buy a Rolex

A place to discuss other watch-brands
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: If you want to buy a Rolex

Post by what-time-is-it »

WoS group want to be the dominant and go to AD in the UK for Rolex and probably have the most influence and supply. I'm guessing Beaverbrooks want the kudos of the Rolex brand on their portfolio.

I've never used Fraser Hart, but I suspect anyone on a waiting list with them will need to start over.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:48 am If they are like other Rolex ADs in this area the windows are stocked with the less desirable models and there's not a SS model to be seen amongst them.

If you're forced to stock something why continue to have so much capital invested in items that don't sell well - don't bother with that brand if they can't/won't supply sufficient quantities of popular SS watches.
However in the real world (I.e. outside of watch forums and Instagram) the most popular Rolex model by far is the.........

Datejust!

That’s why Rolex make so many combinations of DJ. With the high selling popular TT and diamond indices versions having a better profit margin for Rolex and ADs than the SS Professional models.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:21 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:48 am If they are like other Rolex ADs in this area the windows are stocked with the less desirable models and there's not a SS model to be seen amongst them.

If you're forced to stock something why continue to have so much capital invested in items that don't sell well - don't bother with that brand if they can't/won't supply sufficient quantities of popular SS watches.
The SS sports watches aren't in the window because they've sold them with a phone call as soon as they arrived.
That still just tells me "they can't/won't supply sufficient quantities" of anything but the two tones.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:44 pm
Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:21 pm

The SS sports watches aren't in the window because they've sold them with a phone call as soon as they arrived.
That still just tells me "they can't/won't supply sufficient quantities" of anything but the two tones.
Agreed. I think it's won't rather than can't.
It needs to be remembered that a large number of ss sales are to speculators and go straight in a safe or get instantly flipped. If they were to increase the output of them to cover the current demand then they'd end up with surplus as the speculators would disappear. They're also not going to change their ratios to up the SS quantities if their accountants are telling them their current output is a more profitable formula.

Make and sell ten watches for £60k or make and sell ten watches for £100k?
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Bought a Tudor 1926 for my Mrs last week at my local AD and the Rolex guy there wouldn't even entertain the idea of putting my name on a list for an Explorer. He made out he didn't take names due to sporadic supply but then slipped up a bit by telling me he'd give me a call if someone else passed one up.

Onto my next closest AD this afternoon and I'm now apparently first and last on the register for one. As an aside, they had a blue datejust 36 that I had a look at and the dial is just stunning. The size is just too small unfortunately.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

^^ the Rolex AD arrogance appears to be a worldwide phenomenon
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

Hence the rise of Tudor...

MC
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Not sure how Rolex can claim to be a leading brand when they can't seemingly produce enough to sell.

Obviously they could if they wanted to, but that's the opinion I'll take!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

jtc wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 pm Not sure how Rolex can claim to be a leading brand when they can't seemingly produce enough to sell.

I'm sure they only really have shortages of subs and Daytona's. They sell more dj's than anything else and they're always in the window
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by BobMunro »

If the SS models were easy to get, a lot of people wouldn't want them.

A lot of people who moan about Rolex availability probably wouldn't buy one either.

A lot of people (most I would suggest) who do get hold of the SS sports models only do so to flip. But that is changing and the reason why most if not all ADs gave up on 'lists' a long time ago. They look after customers who don't flip and they make bloody good watches.

I'm really not sure why Rolex ADs get a bad name. Try getting a Nautilus!
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by BobMunro »

Bungle-ator wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:28 pm
jtc wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:09 pm Not sure how Rolex can claim to be a leading brand when they can't seemingly produce enough to sell.

I'm sure they only really have shortages of subs and Daytona's. They sell more dj's than anything else and they're always in the window
Not just Submariners and Daytonas - try getting a SS Sky Dweller, a Batman or Pepsi, or a Sea Dweller.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

BobMunro wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:34 pm
Bungle-ator wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:28 pm

Not just Submariners and Daytonas - try getting a SS Sky Dweller, a Batman or Pepsi, or a Sea Dweller.
🤣 Had a brain fart there (baby brain!) and forgot to put the sea dweller and the GMT's in. Is the sky dweller so popular? It's still a marginal amount of their core sales and if those watches were all readily available then most that currently want them wouldn't.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

BobMunro wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:32 pm
I'm really not sure why Rolex ADs get a bad name. Try getting a Nautilus!
It's their attitude that gets them a bad name. I had a really good chat with a salesmen in my closest AD a couple months ago and then after making another purchase in the same shop there was no way forward with a different salesman in getting the watch I wanted.

Another AD where I'd come across a really awful attitude a few months ago was all roses and delighted to register an interest with promises to give me a call in a month or two when what I want comes in.

You have to wonder where the Jekyll and Hyde responses come from.

Can you imagine going into a BMW showroom and having a salesmen smirk and tell you "oh no Sir, I can't possibly sell you an X5 until you've at least purchased a 1 series with all the added options".
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have rather gone off the whole idea. I was going to get an Explorer, but I've lost interest. Especially in dealing with sales people who are UTOA.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

As usual with all comments Rolex related there are always sweeping generalisations, which then garner further comment from those who often haven’t had any specific interaction with the alleged cabal of so called arrogant ADs and let’s not forget that Rolex could easily produce more lower margin SS models, rather than the core TT and PM models etc..... :)

My experience is that there are plenty of staff working in Rolex ADs who are not in the least arrogant. Perhaps I have been fortunate in not visiting any of the arrogant ones. However from some of the tales of customer demands that non arrogant AD staff have related to me, I concluded they have far more patience than I would have had! :lol:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK