Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

A Quintet of Subs.....

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Mooching around Barnstaple this morning I came across a jeweller with a Quintet of Sub(mariner)s, plus an Explorer.

It would have been remiss of me not to investigate further, so I wandered in.

Had a very engaging discussion with Jon, the guvnor, about the whys and wherefores of the watch market, plus he offered me the opportunity to try on a couple of the Subs.

Not sure of the model numbers but one was an older no date, aluminium bezel version and the other an up to date Ceramic bezel, date with cyclops, wider lug version which wore 'larger' despite being the same case size (I think).

Both seemed small compared to my Trident Chrono that I was wearing. If ever I go down the Rolex road, perhaps I ought to aim at the larger Sea Dweller option.

Guy

PS> sorry no more photos, but it seemed rude to get my camera out.

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: A Quintet of Subs.....

Post by neilj568 »

I had the opportunity to try on a Sea Dweller at an AD at the weekend and if I was in the market for a Rolex this would be the model I'd go for. It is however many thousands of pounds outside my price point so it'll likely remain a pipe dream......but never say never.... :D
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Nice collection of Rolex there. The two to the left both look like ceramic sub dates (116610) whilst the middle one is the aluminium bezel no date (14060 or 14060M, I can't say for sure which).

I'm not surprised you found the 40mm sub a little small against your Trident Chrono. The SD 43mm would be a better fit for you.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS

Thegreyman wrote:Nice collection of Rolex there. The two to the left both look like ceramic sub dates (116610) whilst the middle one is the aluminium bezel no date (14060 or 14060M, I can't say for sure which).

I'm not surprised you found the 40mm sub a little small against your Trident Chrono. The SD 43mm would be a better fit for you.
Having looked them up, you're right on your model numbers, Patrick.

Both the 116610s were available over current RRP, although not horrendously so, and the 14060/M seemed to be a fair / comparable price for its age.

I was pleasantly surprised at the lightness of the 14060, not far short of my CW Trident Titanium, and noticeably less than the 116610s.

On the wrist, I felt the 116610s were wrongly proportioned needing the case to be a couple of mm wider to balance the wider lugs. The 14060 seemed much better proportioned and balanced.

Potentially, yes, the 43mm Sea Dweller may well be a better option for me, but then I get into @neilj568 / Neil's quandary of price; although Jon who I was talking with did a very good job of emphasising the 'investment' of a Sub.

Guy

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 pm
On the wrist, I felt the 116610s were wrongly proportioned needing the case to be a couple of mm wider to balance the wider lugs. The 14060 seemed much better proportioned and balanced.

Potentially, yes, the 43mm Sea Dweller may well be a better option for me, but then I get into @neilj568 / Neil's quandary of price; although Jon who I was talking with did a very good job of emphasising the 'investment' of a Sub.

Guy
The ceramic subs do have the wider lugs compared to the previous model, however to me it does seem in proportion at least on my own no date 114060. Having said that I'm obviously biased and haven't owned a 14060.

Is your avowed resistance to Rolex softening slightly Guy? :shock: :wink:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Bahnstormer_vRS

Thegreyman wrote:.....

Is your avowed resistance to Rolex softening slightly Guy? :shock: :wink:
I don't think so Patrick.

I'm very comfortable with my current collection and my ethos of most of them being slightly left field. Plus whilst I have bought a number of more valuable watches in recent months, the idea of paying double for a further single watch makes me nervous.

Mind you, three years ago, the idea of buying some of my current collection would have made me feel extremely nervous at that time.

It's all relative I suppose.

Guy

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 pm
I'm very comfortable with my current collection and my ethos of most of them being slightly left field.
Quite right, best sticking to what you are comfortable with. I agree your choices are generally a bit left field but always interesting to see :thumbup:
Patrick

Bahnstormer_vRS

Rather than clog up the Non CW of the day thread, I thought I'd continue some discussions here;-
Thegreyman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:32 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:14 pm Cheers Patrick. Only teasing of course.

I do sometimes wonder if I am missing out by not having a Sub in my collection. Perhaps I should do some serious investigation?

Guy
You should probably try one out Guy for size. Although at 40mm maybe a little small for your tastes? Your pre-Xmas sale could lay the foundation for an X into 1 consolidation? :wink:
Of course, I have taken a quick look at both current and 'old model' Subs when I was on holiday in September, but 15 mins in a jewellers is not the best environment to make a considered choice.

I'm thinking that when I come up to Edinburgh for the GTG I might get the opportunity to check out an AD, or two(?). Perhaps also compare with a Sea Dweller.

The other option is to try out one of the many Sub inspired homage watches. Not sure if you recall, but some years ago I had a Parnis sterile sub which I bought from Josh @ WIAA. it was his review watch. It gave me a feel for the style and size, which I did quite like, but it was a cheap watch.

I ought to perhaps go a bit up market from there.
Viognier wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:14 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:14 pm I do sometimes wonder if I am missing out by not having a Sub in my collection. Perhaps I should do some serious investigation?

Guy

Guy...I'm aligned. If a Submariner were to come into the collection it would be Thegreyman's cyclops free version!!
I think you're right Lance.

If I compare Patrick's no date

vs. Paul's cyclops date

then the no date is a cleaner look, but I'm pretty sure that Patrick won't be selling his anytime soon. Image

@thegreyman, @stefs - hope you don't mind me borrowing your photos Gents.

Where should I go from here? Conundrum.

Guy

stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Of course I dont mind and both have their merits. It all comes down to those who like the practicality of the cyclops like me and those who don't and there are plenty of those for sure
Cheers now, Paul
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Where should you go from here..........

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

smegwina wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 pm Where should you go from here..........

In all honesty guy if you ever backtrack enough to go down the rolex route this would be the one for you. Bit more substantial and a superb watch.
Cheers now, Paul
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

You shouuld definitely visit the city centre watch shops when you are in Edinburgh, Guy. Happy to give you some pointers where to go.

There are 3 main high end shops, all within a few hundred yards of each other (not including the Hublot outlet, which I don't count!). Two of the 3 are Rolex AD's and literally almost across the road from each other. I suspect though, as has been discussed to death, there will be no subs in stock to try on, although perhaps a precious metal one to at least try for size. Having said that, the non Rolex AD of the 3 high end stores has a pre-owned Rolex section where you may well find a sub (above RRP of course :problem: ).

The DSSD is probably the better size for you as I can see Nick has suggested whilst I am typing this. Of course you need to try them on and only you can decide what you like best.
Patrick

stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Of course its not all black and white! Cue the unnecessary pics of my fav sub which if you tried them on I’m sure you would find appealing even sans cyclops.....
43B98F99-D167-4056-9694-05628C6C21C8.jpeg
83D34171-DEB7-4703-9513-846A7A292D57.jpeg
Cheers now, Paul
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

^^^ I do rather like this. Shame I’ll never own one. :muede:
Steve.
Bahnstormer_vRS

stefs wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 pm
smegwina wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 pm Where should you go from here..........

In all honesty guy if you ever backtrack enough to go down the rolex route this would be the one for you. Bit more substantial and a superb watch.
Substantial and superb I don't doubt, but eye watering (to me) price. :problem:
Thegreyman wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 pm You should definitely visit the city centre watch shops when you are in Edinburgh, Guy. Happy to give you some pointers where to go.

There are 3 main high end shops, all within a few hundred yards of each other (not including the Hublot outlet, which I don't count!). Two of the 3 are Rolex AD's and literally almost across the road from each other. I suspect though, as has been discussed to death, there will be no subs in stock to try on, although perhaps a precious metal one to at least try for size. Having said that, the non Rolex AD of the 3 high end stores has a pre-owned Rolex section where you may well find a sub (above RRP of course :problem: ).

The DSSD is probably the better size for you as I can see Nick has suggested whilst I am typing this. Of course you need to try them on and only you can decide what you like best.
Thanks for your local knowledge info Patrick, much appreciated. Hopefully I'll be able to make use of it.

Not including Hublot? - I had a chuckle about that.