CW-watches: 24
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Re: A Quintet of Subs.....

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 pm

stefs wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 pm
Of course its not all black and white! Cue the unnecessary pics of my fav sub which if you tried them on I’m sure you would find appealing even sans cyclops.....
43B98F99-D167-4056-9694-05628C6C21C8.jpeg
Hmm.

I am, as you well know, partial to a touch of green on my watches. :)
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 pm
Thegreyman wrote:.....

Is your avowed resistance to Rolex softening slightly Guy? :shock: :wink:
I don't think so Patrick.

I'm very comfortable with my current collection and my ethos of most of them being slightly left field. Plus whilst I have bought a number of more valuable watches in recent months, the idea of paying double for a further single watch makes me nervous.

Mind you, three years ago, the idea of buying some of my current collection would have made me feel extremely nervous at that time.

It's all relative I suppose.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
This is rather a large hurdle I would have to get over if I am ever to go down the Rolex route.

Guy
C3 Chrono |C4 | C5A MkI | C5 BOB LE | C6 x 4 | C7 MkII Harrier | C7 Hornet
C8 MkI | C8 Reg'tor MkII LE | C8 Flyer PR | C9 2011 FLE | C9 Me109 SPC | C10 | C11 Extreme
C60 x 4 | C60 Chrono P'type |C65 Diver P'type | C600 |
Other brands? The odd few

Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Viognier » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:10 pm

Guy, appreciate the back story on your Rolex Submariner (I did not realize you were this far along in the research phase).

Similar to you I've also looked at the Submariner line and due to the 40mm case size and the cyclops (though alternative available like Stefs Rolex that is cyclops free)….I have taken a pass. I prefer watches in the 42-44mm range for my larger wrists. I've tried on the Rolex Sea Dweller and like the case size but did not purchase do to the case thickness, it simply sat too chunky and high for me and felt top heavy whilst wearing.

To spend the kind of investment dollars on a Rolex, the watch needs to be absolutely perfect in all facets...looks, case size, thickness and wearability/on wrist feel. Just my $0.02
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy

Bahnstormer_vRS

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:36 am

@viognier - thanks for your comments Lance.

Honestly I'm not that far down the route to a Sub or Sea Dweller although I have taken the step of picking up this little beauty from the sales corner.

Very much in the mould of a Sub with 40mm case but interesting difference that the lugs and wider than a 14060 but slimmer than a 116610. Fitted with a ceramic bezel.

Available in a no date, as I have, or date with and without cyclops. There's also a Hulk version.

As to further research, I've looked at Subs, as per my initial post and albeit briefly. I now ought to check out a Sea Dweller and am intrigued by your comments about size, particularly height. I've got several watches that are 16-17mm tall, so no issue there.

We'll see.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

C8 MkI | C8 Reg'tor MkII LE | C8 Flyer PR | C9 2011 FLE | C9 Me109 SPC | C10 | C11 Extreme

smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 am

Trust me Guy.

Compared to your Marathon, the DSSD is a teeny, tiny little piglet of a watch.

It is dwarfed by a 45.5 PO or a 45mm Supermarine.

You will be just fine buddy, and I look forwards to piccies.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Bahnstormer_vRS

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 pm

smegwina wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 am
Trust me Guy.

You will be just fine buddy, and I look forwards to piccies. Image

Having done a bit of research I've established the Deep Sea is only 44mm case width, but a pretty hefty 18mm height so, yes Nick, comparable with my Marathon CSAR or indeed Trident Chrono.

Think I might just have to find one and try it out, or a least try out a Parnis Deep Sea for around £120 including Fedex shipping.

Very much in the mould of the Parnis sterile Sub (except it was actually a Sea Dweller) I used to have (mentioned in an earlier post) but upgraded with ceramic bezel and Miyota movement.

What have I got to lose? Could even be a present from Santa for Christmas. :wink:

Guy

smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 pm

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
smegwina wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 am
Trust me Guy.

You will be just fine buddy, and I look forwards to piccies. Image

Having done a bit of research I've established the Deep Sea is only 44mm case width, but a pretty hefty 18mm height so, yes Nick, comparable with my Marathon CSAR or indeed Trident Chrono.

Think I might just have to find one and try it out, or a least try out a Parnis Deep Sea for around £120 including Fedex shipping.

Very much in the mould of the Parnis sterile Sub (except it was actually a Sea Dweller) I used to have (mentioned in an earlier post) but upgraded with ceramic bezel and Miyota movement.

What have I got to lose? Could even be a present from Santa for Christmas. :wink:

Guy
I think that would be a great santa gift!