The Stowa Marine Classic 36

A place to discuss other watch-brands
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

The Stowa Marine Classic 36

Post by tempusmaximus »

Introducing the Stowa Marine classic 36 . As you may have already figured out from the name , the new entry into the Marine family measures just 36mm across , which continues a recent trend by the brand of offering smaller versions of some of their most popular models .

https://wornandwound.com/introducing-th ... lassic-36/

Bernie
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: The Stowa Marine Classic 36

Post by welshlad »

They look great and just about perfect in the 36mm size. One to think about if the pound recovers against the euro at some point!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

I have a 40mm Stowa Marine, so I'm biased, but they are lovely. Very legible, a strong history, excellent case quality, superb customer service - they are ridiculous value for money. On first glance they maybe look a bit plain, but in the flesh the properly heat-blued hand set is gorgeous, especially if paired with a shimmery solid silver dial.
Camulos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Camulos »

I have the Hamilton Navy Pioneer - a similar vibe but bigger. This would be too small for me. I love the style though, great legibility.
Trident Pro 60 GMT auto, C8 Flyer auto, C5 Malvern manual-wind, Trident Pro 60 Submariner (quartz)
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by keepitsimple »

Great that they've brought out a proper sized marine. I wish this had been around when I bought a marine from another (also German) manufacturer not long ago. I'd have preferred this Stowa with arabic dial and the no date option.

Don't normally flip watches, but this might just be an occasion.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Great watches from a great brand with a great history.
IMO, STOWA watches offer fantastic value for money :thumbup:

….albeit I'm biased - I own/have owned a 40mm Flieger (Type A), grey dial Ikarus and a Marine.
(Caveat: 36mm is a little small for me).
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I dare say, this would be perfect to complete an air/sea/land trio: Speedbird III/Stowa Marine 36/Hamilton Khaki Field. I have also considered the Steinhart Marine 38, and have looked (briefly) at the Laco Marine watches.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior

Post by keepitsimple »

Lavaine wrote:I dare say, this would be perfect to complete an air/sea/land trio: Speedbird III/Stowa Marine 36/Hamilton Khaki Field. I have also considered the Steinhart Marine 38, and have looked (briefly) at the Laco Marine watches.
I looked at the Steinhart too. Nice watch, but the blue enamel - or whatever it is - blob on the crown just looks wrong for a marine watch. Laco - too big. Eventually, bought one from Roland Kemmner * - OK watch with an eta 2824 BUT like most others has a totally unnecessary (and probably inauthentic) date, which irritates me.

This Stowa looks just right to me, and would partner the Partitio I already have. I view Stowa as a good - in fact very good - brand and mostly at competitive prices. I also suspect they spend more time on adjusting the movements than some other manufacturers (based on a statistical sample of one.... :wink:).

100% with your ideal trio - although I'd substitute the Speedbird I for choice (no date) -and an original MK XI would be really nice ! Already have the Khaki Field.

(* Don't know about more recent watches, but certainly some Timefactors watches - possibly including the Speedbirds - were made by Roland Kemmner too)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Glad we think alike. I'm torn on the SB I, as I don't like the black-framed hands, but prefer the no-date. I guess it's good they are almost impossible to find used. It is a tremendous watch for the money though. I think Roland made all the Speedbirds, with cases from Ickler, although I don't know about the current batch. i almost bought a Kemmner Marine 36 a few years ago as well. I'll be keeping an eye on the Stowa.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
keepitsimple
Senior
Senior

Post by keepitsimple »

I think the Timefactors watches are very good value in general. Have a PRS25 Smiths Everest and a PRS29A Smiths Military - That one sorta balances out against the US inspired Hamilton Khaki I guess.

I'm not a collector of militaria; it's just that that to me the designs are classics of simplicity and clarity. The Smiths name has some nostalgia too - when I was a kid I had a cheap Smiths "boys watch" and I've also got a 1954 Smiths De-Luxe which is I think the epitome of their civilian watches of the '50's.

Don't know who is making Timefactors watches these days, as I think Roland Kemmner has retired - at least he doesn't seem to be selling watches under his own name any more.

Still keeping an eye on that Stowa, although as a Junghans Meister arrived a couple of days ago, might have to ration myself on buying for a little while :(
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

Owning a Stowa Antea KS I should really like this but I cant help but think the marine automatic will come across as too small at 36mm 38 - 40mm being the smallest they should really go. Dont think this is one for me.

Timefactors watches used to be made by Zeno then Kemmner as far as I know.