Victorinox INOX Mechanical

A place to discuss other watch-brands
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Victorinox INOX Mechanical

Post by tempusmaximus »

W&W takes a first look at the Victorinox inox automatic watch .

http://wornandwound.com/first-look-the- ... echanical/

Bernie
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Victorinox INOX Mechanical

Post by Caller »

I have the Quartz, I'd rather have this! It's very good.
'Tis me
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Very nice indeed. Looks bulletproof too!
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

No idea why they would make this. They have taken a bulletproof watch, perfectly designed for its intended use, and made it inherently weaker by throwing a completely unnecessary automatic movement into it.

Ridiculous.

I will stick with the quartz.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

smegwina wrote:No idea why they would make this. They have taken a bulletproof watch, perfectly designed for its intended use, and made it inherently weaker by throwing a completely unnecessary automatic movement into it.

Ridiculous.

I see your point, I suppose it's akin to G-shock making a dressy watch....oh they did :shock:

Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

Thegreyman wrote:
smegwina wrote:No idea why they would make this. They have taken a bulletproof watch, perfectly designed for its intended use, and made it inherently weaker by throwing a completely unnecessary automatic movement into it.

Ridiculous.

I see your point, I suppose it's akin to G-shock making a dressy watch....oh they did :shock:

They did indeed :(

I believe my view on that thread was "a hateful bloody thing and a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!"

I simply don't see the point.

Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Ridiculous.

Like any mechanical watch then really?

There will always a lot of muppets on instagram or facebook or blogs shouting 'quartz! I'd buy that if it were an auto!' the Inox case is so big I would bet no work was needed to fit a mechanical movement so might aswell make a few more bucks.

The Inox tests are ridiculous anyways. Like being strapped to a toboggan for example or being run over by a tank (although a full list of the 300 test is nowhere to be seen) and yet it's just a bog standard quartz watch. No extra shock absorbers or anything advertised as such - the only cross section I've seen of one shows a very simple plastic movement ring. It's Just a fat case with good rigidity.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

They should have kept the quartz, add solor and radio time-sync, shrink from 43 to 40mm by making the bezel 1.5mm smaller and put the date at 3 or 6.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

Dancematt wrote:

Ridiculous.

Like any mechanical watch then really?

There will always a lot of muppets on instagram or facebook or blogs shouting 'quartz! I'd buy that if it were an auto!' the Inox case is so big I would bet no work was needed to fit a mechanical movement so might aswell make a few more bucks.

The Inox tests are ridiculous anyways. Like being strapped to a toboggan for example or being run over by a tank (although a full list of the 300 test is nowhere to be seen) and yet it's just a bog standard quartz watch. No extra shock absorbers or anything advertised as such - the only cross section I've seen of one shows a very simple plastic movement ring. It's Just a fat case with good rigidity.

Not at all like most automatics. They are designed for their own purpose, be it dress, diver, aviator, field etc. This they fulfill, and occasionally have a quartz version for grab and go, or for toughness, (but not for pure beater work) such as the SMP, Colt etc etc.

The very raison d'etre of the Inox is that it is virtually indestructible, from the quartz movement to the stamped indexes and the special hand mount.

My quartz version has behaved impeccably regardless of what has been thrown at it. It ain't pretty, but by god it's effective.

Gotta be honest, I haven't read the article, so I am working on assumptions, but the automatic version looks to have similar features with the inherent weakness of the movement.

I suspect that you are correct in the whole money making scheme, and whilst there is nothing wrong with it, I just don't see who would buy one?

However, they will probably sell a boatload and prove me completely wrong as per usual! :)

(And I agree totally that the tests are completely ridiculous)

Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Sales wise you are right on this one perhaps, although the quartz must be a best seller so maybe Vic think it's the design that sells and this will build on that? It's a shot in the dark but for sure the steel g shock is going to fly out of the shops. :)
I miss all the great things that may never be.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

Dancematt wrote:Sales wise you are right on this one perhaps, although the quartz must be a best seller so maybe Vic think it's the design that sells and this will build on that? It's a shot in the dark but for sure the steel g shock is going to fly out of the shops. :)
On that you are definitely correct! Having seen the way they hoover up all things G-Shock in the Far East etc, I don't think that they will be able to make them fast enough!

TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

First thoughts were 'nice-looking watch': attractive dial, distinctive case and the Victorinox logo works really well at 12 o'clock, but then upon looking closer a few design features leave me scratching my head:

- Date at 4.30 (but they're not alone)
- A mish-mash of both indices and a 12-24 scale around the dial edge - what's the point of that?
- Both a minute track (fair enough) and then a superfluous outer split-seconds track as well, oddly split into thirds of a second - how is that of any use on a non-chronograph?
Dancematt wrote:The Inox tests are ridiculous anyways. Like being strapped to a toboggan for example or being run over by a tank (although a full list of the 300 test is nowhere to be seen) and yet it's just a bog standard quartz watch. No extra shock absorbers or anything advertised as such - the only cross section I've seen of one shows a very simple plastic movement ring. It's Just a fat case with good rigidity.
I tend to agree. Every time I read about their battery of tests I find myself thinking there's probably quite a few analogue quartz which would do just as well in many of them.

Also, I do like the faintly ridiculous way they provide their bomb-proof watches with an additional removable outer rubber 'bumper' for the rough stuff - it's like providing prime-era Mike Tyson with a bodyguard. (Yes, I'm being a little knowingly facetious - it's actually quite a clever way of preventing the metal case getting all aesthetically scratched-up).
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by eggtronics »

I reviewed one of these just a couple of weeks ago: https://www.watchitallabout.com/victori ... ch-review/
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!