1928 'digital watch'

A place to discuss other watch-brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

1928 'digital watch'

Post by gaf1958 »

Why do so many of these "high end" makers (Richard Mille, I'm thinking of you in particular (but not exclusively)) seem to delight in making watches so bloody difficult to read?

My primary requirement with any watch is being able to tell the time at a glance. If I have to get out logarithmic tables, a a calculator or read it over my left shoulder using a mirror, I'd be tempted to dismiss it as being different, just for the hell of it. But no, these are serious horological items here - that couldn't possibly be the case, it must just be me being a curmudgeon...

I've got news for them...

NO IT'S NOT!!!
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: 1928 'digital watch'

Post by hughesyn »

The 'digital' pieces in this thread don't look hard to read to me, just look at the numbers.

The Lange in particular couldn't be any clearer.
At Salon QP we stood looking at it for a few minutes just to watch the number change. I can't remember if it was the 'regular' Striking or the crazy Minute Repeater but they are both beautiful.
The normal Zeitwerk looks slightly bland compared to its Striking sister, but then 50 grand extra is a lot of money for some gongs.
I don't think my family would be happy if I sold the house to buy one...
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

1928 'digital watch'

Post by gaf1958 »

hughesyn wrote:The 'digital' pieces in this thread don't look hard to read to me, just look at the numbers.

The Lange in particular couldn't be any clearer.
Couldn't agree more about the Lange, but they're traditional high end watchmakers, not ones where being different is almost the reason they exist...

Neither of these two appeal in any way, certainly in respect to readability, not to mention price, although IMO the confusion for money ratio is pretty high. :wink:

I forgot to mention, I think the Harry Winston is just plain ugly, the other is actually quite handsome, albeit in an "excuse me, what's that you're wearing on your wrist" way.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I'd really like a similar digital watch, shame there's nothing in the affordable expensive price range.

Maybe someone's missing a kickstarter opportunity...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

jtc wrote:
Maybe someone's missing a kickstarter opportunity...
:lol:
unfortunately you just have incredibly refined (read expensive) tastes.....
the lange is absolutely striking (quite literally :lol: )
i appreciate the obscure and 'messy' ones - the ones that look a bit like props from a sci-fi film and don't look much like watches at all - for their mechanical wizardry, but the cartier is still my favourite for its beautiful simplicity (and the fact that the dial smiles at you :D )
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
ziphos
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by ziphos »

missF wrote: i appreciate the obscure and 'messy' ones - the ones that look a bit like props from a sci-fi film and don't look much like watches at all - for their mechanical wizardry, but the cartier is still my favourite for its beautiful simplicity (and the fact that the dial smiles at you :D )
I wonder how the Cartier was viewed when it was released in 1928, I suspect it was also viewed as rather sci-fi and way out.

Now it just looks like a lovely classic watch with a twist, I would love one but doubt I can ever afford it. :D :thumbup:
CW C60 pro 300, C60 pro 600, C60 pro 600 GMT, C60 Titanium V2, C65 Trident Classic, C7 Rapide, C63
Omega Speedmaster Professional, Speedmaster Racing, Seamaster (1950's)
Breitling 2x Aerospace
Also: Borealis Bulova Casio Scurfa
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

ziphos wrote:I wonder how the Cartier was viewed when it was released in 1928, I suspect it was also viewed as rather sci-fi and way out.
very fair point, and a good reason to find a small corner in our hearts for the sci-fi non-watchy watches of today - they push boundaries and take us beyond the comfort zone into new territories while utilising mechanical excellence to power them. it may well be that at some point in the future we'll be looking back on the 'traditional' 1-12 round dial style of watch wiith a kind of vintage fondness :)
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

jtc wrote:I'd really like a similar digital watch, shame there's nothing in the affordable expensive price range.
You're obviously not extending your "affordable expensive price range" far enough into the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" price range! :dielaughing:
Steve.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Thermexman wrote:
jtc wrote:I'd really like a similar digital watch, shame there's nothing in the affordable expensive price range.
You're obviously not extending your "affordable expensive price range" far enough into the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" price range! :dielaughing:
If only that pesky mortgage didn't need paying :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

jtc wrote:
Thermexman wrote:
If only that pesky mortgage didn't need paying :lol:
Trouble is, when the mortgage is paid, those monthly instalments that were going to come in handy, just evaporate into thin air! Poof, where'd they go?
Steve.
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by TempusFugit »

If CW could produce a mechanical digital watch like the Zeitwerk then I've got a big wad of money in my pocket I'd be willing to throw at it! I dare CW...
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

The Cartier is really quite fantastic. Every time I see it pop up somewhere online I'm drawn to it. Until today though, I've never noticed that it is also a sterile case. No Cartier logo anywhere on the front of the watch.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:17 pm
gaf1958 wrote:
Interesting indeed, but I wonder why the two holes between the hours and minutes have different fittings (one a screw, the other, no idea what it is). There must be a reason, but I find it distracting.
I agree that is a bit strange on an otherwise really interesting (and no doubt VERY expensive watch).

I could imagine the fact that the screw isn't even level at the horizontal would bug some of our more OCD inmates :lol:
One of my biggest pet peeves in the world of horology. Watches costing tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars and you can't get the screwheads aligned? REALLY? 19th century gun smiths had that figured out.
20190902_192827.jpg
William Richard's side by side 12ga. Liverpool
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

gaf1958 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 am Why do so many of these "high end" makers (Richard Mille, I'm thinking of you in particular (but not exclusively)) seem to delight in making watches so bloody difficult to read?

My primary requirement with any watch is being able to tell the time at a glance. If I have to get out logarithmic tables, a a calculator or read it over my left shoulder using a mirror, I'd be tempted to dismiss it as being different, just for the hell of it. But no, these are serious horological items here - that couldn't possibly be the case, it must just be me being a curmudgeon...

I've got news for them...

NO IT'S NOT!!!
+1.
I might have my grumpy moments but if I had to try and read the time on most of these I would turn into a curmudgeon really, really quickly.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris