Roamer Rockshell Galapagos

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Trubstickers

Roamer Rockshell Galapagos

Post by Trubstickers »

Hi,

I own a Roamer Rockshell Galapagos Automatic (circa 1975)
I'm trying to find out more information about the watcH. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
Many thanks
demonfinder

Re: Roamer Rockshell Galapagos

Post by demonfinder »

Hi,
just seen your post as I`m a new member -and Roamer collector .

The Galapagos was a fairly short-lived model and I believe used one of the last in-house design MST calibres-the 522. (Automatic with date)
That number should appear on the rear case back of your watch.
I believe they may have been intended to fill the gap left by the discontiued Stingray S watches of the early/mid `70`s.
They are not often seen as I`ve read they were only in production for about 2 years..then the original Roamer company stopped making it`s own movements and usually used ETA calibres.
I`d be interested to see some photo`s of your watch ..and might even consider adding it to my collection should you ever wish to part with it :0)

Cheers,
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

That's why I like this forum. There are so many people on here with a wealth of knowledge they are willing to share. Don't know a lot about the Roamer brand so would be interested in seeing your collection. Have you soon the STOC ( state of the collection) gallery. Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.
Trubstickers

Post by Trubstickers »

Hi Demonfinder,

Many thanks for your reply and apologies for my slow response (haven't been on here for ages!)
I've been struggling to find much information re my Roamer so your information is golden!! :-)
You are spot on re the movement. The number on the rear of the case is 522 2120 018.
From your knowledge are we saying then that this model was the last one to use Roamers own movement?
One has just gone up on Ebay from Australia. Its in a far poorer condition than mine.
Could you point me in the direction where I may be able to find more information

Once I've worked out how to attach photos I'll get some posted on here. I'm also open to possible selling the watch too :)
demonfinder

Post by demonfinder »

Hi Trubstickers,
I`m afraid there is little info on this particular model on the web -even the very good vintage Roamer website has no info on this model as the author of the site limits the scope of it up until about 1975 when the final in-house MST moments were produced.
The MST 52X series included manual and automatic winding calibres with and without date .
I have no way of knowing if this was the very last model with Roamer movements as more popular lines like the Searock and Anfibio were also using the same ones. Also although production stopped I have not seen anything to indicate what what stocks they had in storage ready to use post stopping.
This last series of movements were decent quality but made to a price point and had less good finishing to the movements compared to some of the MST calibres of the late 1950`s /1960`s.
The model may be of interest to some Roamer collectors but don`t expect it to reach prices anything like the great Stingray chrongraph models with the Valjoux calibres :0)
Trubstickers

Post by Trubstickers »

Hi Demonfinder,
Many thnaks for coming back to me.
Yes I've done some research and found very little on this model which is rather puzzling. All I seem to know is that it is possibly circa 1975.
I'll add some photos this week.
:)
kareen

Post by kareen »

hi, i have a roamer rockshell Galapagos,1970s in {mint} perfect working condition, not a single mark or scratch on it anywhere, perfect glass & bezels, winder and case, I don't think it possible to find a better one, like new apart from, unfortunately the watch face has suffered a reaction around the numeral turning a gold colour, not sure weather to have it repaired or leave it alone, its a shame because of its condition is so good, I'm the only person to have worn it, and thats one time, dose any one know of a fix,or of a face I could get,john
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

kareen wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:53 pm hi, i have a roamer rockshell Galapagos,1970s in {mint} perfect working condition, not a single mark or scratch on it anywhere, perfect glass & bezels, winder and case, I don't think it possible to find a better one, like new apart from, unfortunately the watch face has suffered a reaction around the numeral turning a gold colour, not sure weather to have it repaired or leave it alone, its a shame because of its condition is so good, I'm the only person to have worn it, and thats one time, dose any one know of a fix,or of a face I could get,john
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure though, I'm sorry, whether you will find a specific Roamer experience answer here as neither @Trubstickers or @demonfinder (who commented above) have visited the forum for quite some time.

However, on a general note I'd advocate not to worry about the dial on your watch and, as it is some 40 years old, just let it continue to acquire its own unique patina.

You might find it helpful to read, if you've not already seen it, this current thread which is Vintage Watch condition related;- Question & Answer re- Old Watches

Hope this helps.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Welcome to the forum.

Agree with Guy. If it’s in the condition you say it is, then it’s virtually impossible that the dial is damaged. Please - don’t have it ‘fixed’. Not at least until you’ve had someone who knows vintage watches have a look at it. If you upload a picture someone here will tell you whether it’s even ‘broken’. Willing to bet it isn’t.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
kareen

Post by kareen »

hi guy, thanks for the info, iv been trying to track down a dial with no luck, its being serviced at the moment, I did send it away to see if it could be refaced but as they are rear ,the dial guy has no template to do it with and said he could reface it with the numerals but without the Galapagos righting as is, so I told him to leave it, its a real shame as id bet there not a better one anywhere, iv thought of buying another in poor condition with a good face and swopping them over if you open these attachments your see the watch,
WP_20190121_14_30_51_Pro.jpg
I may put a taned leather strap on , I put that one on but I'm not sure about it, anyway the watch deserves a good dial if possible, so if anyone out there comes across one please think of me,watch,an addictive hobby im finding,best john