LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Affordable alternatives to expensive watches

Post by Kip »

A terrific post over on Watchlords. It will get you thinking.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Warren83
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Re: Affordable alternatives to expensive watches

Post by Warren83 »

There was a video in a similar vein done by "The Urban Gentry" not so long ago - due to all of the comments he received he did a part 2 in which the c60 is nominated as a good Submariner alternative :)
My CW: C60 Trident GMT

Scouse Not English YNWA DONT BUY THE SUN
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I enjoyed perusing that post Kip. Thank you for the link.
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

Yep a poster after my own heart Kip! I enjoyed those comparisons - thanks!
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

That's a great article, Kip, thanks for the link.

Nice to know I've some in both columns
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

Great post Kip, thank you. I've actually bought several of those cheaper alternatives previously and it kinda ties in with some of the comments made on the "Brands you haven't tried" thread here at http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... =8&t=41579.

Doesn't take into account the materials used or movement, but gives an idea as to just how much of the cost is made up of the actual brand and not the design.
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

Thanks for the link Kip . There are some cracking alternatives at affordable prices , compared to the more expensive models .
Bernie
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Great post, Kip!
:clap:

Sometimes I prefer the expensive one, sometimes the cheaper one, sometimes I like both and sometimes neither! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Kip wrote:It will get you thinking.
My initial thought concerned the protection of intellectual property - and how difficult it is in real life. :)
Richard
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I think he's been quite diplomatic. He could have thrown in quite a few 'homage' brands that would have been better fits than some of those offered up. I see CW featured quite heavily, but all on the right. I'm sure they'd rather be on the left!
'Tis me
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

If I recall correctly the Administrator of Watchlords is a member here called koimaster.

I think he might have an affection for CW watches.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

scooter wrote: think he might have an affection for CW watches.
There are some others on there that do too.
Bernie
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

I seem to be rowing against the tide here, but I don't fully understand these "want this, get this" articles.

Aside from the rather blurry line that seems to exist with regards to homage/rip off/replica, many of these articles seem to start the whole, sanctimonious. "Sir, you are an idiot for spending anything over 100 pounds on a watch because brand a/b/c can sell the identical watch for a fiver"

I have a Buly moonwatch. I have bought it because I wanted a Buly, not because I wanted to get one over on the Speedie owners. I don't feel the need to buy a Speedie, but I would never dream of implying that someone is mistaken for purchasing an Omega over the Bulova. The Bulova is good value, comfortable for me and looks good. If I could find a Speedie that worked for me, I would have that as well!

There is a huge amount of snobbery that goes both ways. You have the astonishingly arrogant... "This cost 10 times the amount so it must be better than all yours" all the way to the self righteous "I could have got you almost the same thing for a fraction of the cost so you are a berk"

Watch buying is a hugely personal thing. Value is in the eye of the beholder, and just because there is a cheaper lookalike does not necessarily mean that it is the better option, just as it is churlish to say that anyone who buys the alternative only does so because they could not afford the original.

I wear my cheap watches with as much passion and gusto as my slightly more expensive ones.

Apologies, and I shall now shuffle away into my indignant corner! :)

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd »

smegwina wrote:I seem to be rowing against the tide here, but I don't fully understand these "want this, get this" articles.

Aside from the rather blurry line that seems to exist with regards to homage/rip off/replica, many of these articles seem to start the whole, sanctimonious. "Sir, you are an idiot for spending anything over 100 pounds on a watch because brand a/b/c can sell the identical watch for a fiver"

I have a Buly moonwatch. I have bought it because I wanted a Buly, not because I wanted to get one over on the Speedie owners. I don't feel the need to buy a Speedie, but I would never dream of implying that someone is mistaken for purchasing an Omega over the Bulova. The Bulova is good value, comfortable for me and looks good. If I could find a Speedie that worked for me, I would have that as well!

There is a huge amount of snobbery that goes both ways. You have the astonishingly arrogant... "This cost 10 times the amount so it must be better than all yours" all the way to the self righteous "I could have got you almost the same thing for a fraction of the cost so you are a berk"

Watch buying is a hugely personal thing. Value is in the eye of the beholder, and just because there is a cheaper lookalike does not necessarily mean that it is the better option, just as it is churlish to say that anyone who buys the alternative only does so because they could not afford the original.

I wear my cheap watches with as much passion and gusto as my slightly more expensive ones.

Apologies, and I shall now shuffle away into my indignant corner! :)

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
^^^^ + 1 :thumbup:
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Some very good points made by smegwina.

As I said, I have some from both columns plus some others and I certainly do not boast/deride over choices that other WIS have made.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain