StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: The Bargain Hunters Thread

Post by StrapMeister »

Congratulations :clap:
..that looks rather nice :thumbup:

I just wonder, based on what you have said, whether this was an ex-demo/display model hence the lack of stickers, tag, etc. :!: :?:
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Mark78 »

Looks very nice JAFO, much better than the M&W web pictures suggest.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Hi. I have just been on a long phone call, not connected with the watch, so I've only just got back to this thread.

The numbers and hour/minute hand are lumed.

I contacted M&W and they said they inspect the watches before despatching them, and remove all stickers. I also checked the outer packaging, and what I thought was an envelope containing marketing info actually contained the warranty card, instructions and other stuff. They said they had received similar calls from other buyers! So all good. Just no fitted case, and pad, such as you would expect..

Out of interest, the marketing brochure says the campaign watch originally was £1500, and the Clarendon was £1250.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Definitely a bargain. Congrats!
Richard
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Mark78 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:17 pm Looks very nice JAFO, much better than the M&W web pictures suggest.
Which colour did you buy, Mark? I am sure you will not be disappointed, and you can return to W of S easily enough if you change your mind.

There still seems to be some availability.
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Mark78 »

Got the white dial with black numerals (red 12) on a Bond NATO - not sure the strap will suit but can always swap if I decide to keep. Tbh I’m not sure I’ll wear it much if it’s quite dressy but will assess when it arrives, certainly seems like a great bargain.
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Mark78 »

Somewhat surprisingly, my M&W turned up today. It’s very nicely finished, looks much better in the metal, nice sunburst effect on the main and sub dials. Don’t think the Bond NATO suits so will switch to a leather strap. I certainly wouldn’t have paid £1500 for it but for £285 it’s one of the best bargains I’ve had.
0271D059-8B7E-4E35-B7BC-843618750522.jpeg
And now on a Hirsch leather strap which is much more the part....
56FA1F63-BEB7-4A69-B337-CFE891F6723B.jpeg
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Invicta 1953

Post by JAFO »

Not sure if this is the right place.
I just got an email that Invicta Europe have a few of the highly rated 1953 in stock, at 120 Euros
Probably plus VAT for UK orders, but still seems a good deal.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Mark78 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:29 pm Somewhat surprisingly, my M&W turned up today. It’s very nicely finished, looks much better in the metal, nice sunburst effect on the main and sub dials. Don’t think the Bond NATO suits so will switch to a leather strap. I certainly wouldn’t have paid £1500 for it but for £285 it’s one of the best bargains I’ve had.

0271D059-8B7E-4E35-B7BC-843618750522.jpeg

And now on a Hirsch leather strap which is much more the part....

56FA1F63-BEB7-4A69-B337-CFE891F6723B.jpeg
Very nice - congratulations :clap:
I actually prefer the red 12 versions :thumbup:
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Nice to see a photo, Mark. Looks good on the strap, and the black numbers stand out nicely.

These things seem to go back a long way. There was a Hawley's auction item on The Saleroom with a very similar version of this dating from 1916

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/pric ... ppin-watch
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Mark78 »

Yes seems like a well worn design resurrected for this model. Interesting that some of the watches in that link are badged Mappin but also with Longines, assume Mappin made the case with a Longines movement inside?

I really like the font of the numerals on this M&W watch, they have an art-deco feel which is a style I absolutely love. This is the first watch I’ve bought for a few years now as generally wear a Seamaster for pretty much everything - with a Citizen Royal Marines ‘Ray Mears’ for beater duty - but this is a welcome addition and nudging me towards having something approaching a collection again.

BTW I’m intrigued to discover what movement it has but not convinced I would get the back open without butchering it in the process!
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I saw a Richard Perrett video where he was restoring a very dirty Rolex datejust (I think). Anyway, the back of the case was similar to this, and he had a toothed disc that meshed with the case back, and turned the whole back, and unscrewed it from the case - so that's how I think its done. It was a similar process to how they insert crystals with a pressure tool, but turning instead of pressing.

It's "Richard Perrett -restoration of a smashed Rolex watch". He uses the tool in first couple of minutes to open the case.
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Mark78 »

That would make sense, I can’t see any sort of notch for a case knife.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:06 pm a toothed disc that meshed with the case back, and turned the whole back, and unscrewed it from the case
A case back removal tool will achieve the same :thumbup:

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

No, it doesn't use that sort of tool. This is the case back. As I say, I saw a back like this on a datejust, and Richard Perrett seemed to have a special circular die tool to grip the whole watch case around the outer serrated ring.
IMG_20210108_235424957~2.jpg