The Bargain Hunters Thread

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: The Bargain Hunters Thread

Post by Soporsche »

Hmm, i was considering the same points Guy and doing some man maths re price etc as despite my self imposed 'no buy zone' theres a model listed that Ive had my eye on for c.1 yr.
Been doing a bit of research since looking at Ashfords to see how close i could buy it (pricewise in EU/UK) and the nearest new is approx double (nearest pre owned is still 20-25% more).
Now i have a dilemma and trying to be honest with self in accordance with Downers rules)?!
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:55 pm
what-time-is-it wrote:I forget what I've bought from Ashford, but from memory they use UPS, charge approx. $30 to post to the UK and you will need to pay VAT to UPS - normally before, but I've known them to deliver and send an invoice a week later. I tend to add 22% to the FX price.

Be mindful that in Ashfords t&c's, officially they will not accept international returns although I've never asked.

Never had a problem with the watch, but they always have a deal on - if a watch isn't part of a promotion it probably will be next time.
Cheers Chris.

All salient points which I had seen. Worth pointing out though.

My one hesitation is if there is a notable Warranty or maintenance issues (thinks GMT hand out of sync). In those circumstances I might have to either use Glycine's UK operation or bite the bullet and go independent.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
I’ll add to this to try and put your mind at ease over Ashfords warranty etc... I had a fault with a watch from them (I’ve bought several from them). One email, they emailed me a return label and it was sorted no problem. From first contact to receiving the replacement was less than 2 weeks. The only issue was that UK customs wanted duty on the replacement watch but that’s nothing to do with Ashfords. I paid it and Ashfords re-embursed me straight away.

Edit; I forgot to say, I paid UPS on delivery - their drivers have the invoice and a card reader for you to pay on receipt of the watch.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@TigerChris - thank you. Good peace of mind.

I'm assuming the no returns is on a 'don't like the colour of the dial' or similar basis; which is fair enough.

I might just have to get the one I'm thinking of but that means I will have three GMTs, when I barely need one.

Maybe I'll sell one of my C8 UTC it C65 GMT. :-k

Guy

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by borderman »

I have just ordered the airman 44 purist at under £400 with vat checked on Jura £1550
but I suppose you get a decent discount,doubt it would be £1150 though.

Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:02 am
Thunder1 wrote:GLYCINE Combat Collection – Now up to 91% off!
https://www.ashford.com/us/watches/Glyc ... _pageNum=1

Some nice sales on their Subs, even some of their newest entries...code 'hot5' is worth another 5% off at checkout..
Really quite drawn to the Airman GMT Vintage, which seems a no brainer at this price.

From doing some limited research, it looks to be an old/outgoing model; GL0218 1953 Vintage GMT, replaced by the GL0071 Airman "DC4". Although I did find a review of the 1953 Vintage GMT mentioning it being an LE.

I'm confused. Help?

Guy

I think the item descriptions on these Glycines leave much to be desired at times(i.e. they can be inaccurate and/or lacking detail)..I can't give you any more info than what you already have, other than that they are a reliable seller selling a quality product..if I didn't already own 3 Airman, I would have jumped on this deal(someone at the WUS site has, as well)..good luck hunting, Guy & sorry I'm not of much help in this instance..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Bahnstormer_vRS

Thunder1 wrote:

Some nice sales on their Subs, even some of their newest entries...code 'hot5' is worth another 5% off at checkout..
Really quite drawn to the Airman GMT Vintage, which seems a no brainer at this price.

From doing some limited research, it looks to be an old/outgoing model; GL0218 1953 Vintage GMT, replaced by the GL0071 Airman "DC4". Although I did find a review of the 1953 Vintage GMT mentioning it being an LE.

I'm confused. Help?

Guy

I think the item descriptions on these Glycines leave much to be desired at times(i.e. they can be inaccurate and/or lacking detail)..I can't give you any more info than what you already have, other than that they are a reliable seller selling a quality product..if I didn't already own 3 Airman, I would have jumped on this deal(someone at the WUS site has, as well)..good luck hunting, Guy & sorry I'm not of much help in this instance..
As you say, description is lacking, but the devil is in the details. :wink:

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

Thunder1 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:32 pm

I'm confused. Help?

Guy

Help enough. Thank you. :thumbup:

As I put above; the devil is in the detail; all one really needs is the correct Model No. :wink:

Let the waiting commence. :D :D

Guy

trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Island Watch in USA has a new Marathon auto. "Arctic" dial, 36mm, SW200, IIRC 30 Bar WR.
$680 US.

I'm sorely tempted.

Tom
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
Bahnstormer_vRS

trsullivan wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:21 pm Island Watch in USA has a new Marathon auto. "Arctic" dial, 36mm, SW200, IIRC 30 Bar WR.
$680 US.

I'm sorely tempted.

Tom
Good solid watches; Marathon. I've had/got several.

I bought a Marathon Navigator from Island Watches last year. Straight forward, no hassle.

Guy

Neil b
Senior
Senior

Post by Neil b »

Damm them prices are good just ordered a gmt £400 all in 91% discount :D :D :D :D
Bahnstormer_vRS

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:19 pm Help enough. Thank you. :thumbup:

As I put above; the devil is in the detail; all one really needs is the correct Model No. :wink:

Guy
Ordered Saturday evening.

Dispatched email received Monday pm (morning in USA).

UPS email, Import charges due, received this afternoon VAT (correct amount) + £11.50 Brokerage Fee (fair).

Paid online with Credit Card at 16:45 hrs.

Checked Tracking; package arrived at Luton Airport 16:50 hrs.

Delivery?? Dare I anticipate tomorrow?

Guy

Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:05 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:19 pm Help enough. Thank you. :thumbup:

Guy
Ordered Saturday evening.

Dispatched email received Monday pm (morning in USA).

UPS email, Import charges due, received this afternoon VAT (correct amount) + £11.50 Brokerage Fee (fair).

Paid online with Credit Card at 16:45 hrs.

Checked Tracking; package arrived at Luton Airport 16:50 hrs.

Delivery?? Dare I anticipate tomorrow?

Guy
I'm guessing something closer to a week..initial impressions & pics upon receipt w/b greatly appreciated!!..welcome to the club, sir.. 8)
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

Neil b wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:26 pm Damm them prices are good just ordered a gmt £400 all in 91% discount :D :D :D :D
Welcome to the club, sir..
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Thunder1 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:47 pm
Hi Thunder, i happened to be reading a thread from while ago about Glycines on another forum (generic watch enthusiasts forum) and there was a contributor with a VERY similar username to your good self... Too much of a coincidence I'm guessing 😅
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

Soporsche wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:52 pm
Thunder1 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:47 pm
Hi Thunder, i happened to be reading a thread from while ago about Glycines on another forum (generic watch enthusiasts forum) and there was a contributor with a VERY similar username to your good self... Too much of a coincidence I'm guessing 😅
Guilty as charged(probably)!!.. :oops: