2015 FLE - Buying Intentions?

The sixth Forum LE
Sold out

With the published specification and pricing estimates, are you likely to buy the 2015 FLE?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:11 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 114

Jimbob
CW-watches: 3

Re: 2015 FLE - Buying Intentions?

Post by Jimbob »

I think it's a shame our banana friend lost out. I was a definite for that one. I might buy this one, but am not sure at the moment. In my case, for when I wear it, I think it may be too similar in use as last years FLE. I guess I have a while to decide.
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

Jimbob wrote:I think it's a shame our banana friend lost out. I was a definite for that one. I might buy this one, but am not sure at the moment. In my case, for when I wear it, I think it may be too similar in use as last years FLE. I guess I have a while to decide.
With all the banana love out there, I think the c65 should be revisited next year.

That or Pink Kitty!
J
peter160866
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by peter160866 »

Think it looks fab and have 'ticked' yes to purchase - now to start saving and considering if croc/bader strap worth the extra
C60 - Khaki, Early Malvern, 2015 LE, C10 Aviator, Jump Hour, Black Trident Vintage
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

gatehealing wrote:
Jimbob wrote:I think it's a shame our banana friend lost out. I was a definite for that one. I might buy this one, but am not sure at the moment. In my case, for when I wear it, I think it may be too similar in use as last years FLE. I guess I have a while to decide.
With all the banana love out there, I think the c65 should be revisited next year.

That or Pink Kitty!
J
With respect, I think it was important that the C5S won this year. You cannot help but notice the number of people on the forum now talking about smaller watches, just as there are those who believe 40mm is too small. Believe me, for the average wrist it isn't small at all. So...if we had had three consecutive 42mm automatics, all with a "sporty" flavour, as FLEs (and two of them Tridents to boot) I think it would have left a lot of members very disillusioned and despairing of the chance ever to own a FLE. Does this make sense?

Back when the two leaders for the case poll began to emerge, it was always C5S or nothing for me. In the C5 eliminations I voted for my own design as well as Welshlad's beautiful Marine. When my Trench got eliminated I stuck with the Marine and, when that was defeated, I pretty much (publicly) said "That's it." But I kept looking at the Rose Gold and thinking it was rather beautiful. When eventually I did vote for it in the "final", it was because I felt very strongly that it needed to win for all the people who wanted something smaller and dressier. I still wasn't sure that I would go for it, and the fact that MMXV marked it out as a bit different was the reason I ultimately got behind it.

These polls will always polarise (excuse pun) the forum simply because we all have different tastes in cases, dials, movements, sizes, purposes, inscriptions and a whole load of other things. Last time, as part of the 2013 FLE team, I had to say "Sorry, this watch is not for me - maybe next time."

So maybe next time the FLE should not be a 40mm Slimline handwound with gold indices and Roman numerals. I for one would be happy to see a reversion to something more like type. But this time I think it was what we needed.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Jimbob
CW-watches: 3

Post by Jimbob »

I actually agree with you here. That's what I like about the FLE process though. It is up to the forum to choose and hopefully will self moderate in terms of styles.

As per a previous post though. It would be interesting to know how the purchasing compares with the voting. Wonder how many voted for the losing watch but end up buying the winner, or those that voted for the winner, but didn't actually buy it!
peter160866
Senior
Senior

Post by peter160866 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
gatehealing wrote:

That or Pink Kitty!
J
With respect, I think it was important that the C5S won this year. You cannot help but notice the number of people on the forum now talking about smaller watches, just as there are those who believe 40mm is too small. Believe me, for the average wrist it isn't small at all. So...if we had had three consecutive 42mm automatics, all with a "sporty" flavour, as FLEs (and two of them Tridents to boot) I think it would have left a lot of members very disillusioned and despairing of the chance ever to own a FLE. Does this make sense?

Back when the two leaders for the case poll began to emerge, it was always C5S or nothing for me. In the C5 eliminations I voted for my own design as well as Welshlad's beautiful Marine. When my Trench got eliminated I stuck with the Marine and, when that was defeated, I pretty much (publicly) said "That's it." But I kept looking at the Rose Gold and thinking it was rather beautiful. When eventually I did vote for it in the "final", it was because I felt very strongly that it needed to win for all the people who wanted something smaller and dressier. I still wasn't sure that I would go for it, and the fact that MMXV marked it out as a bit different was the reason I ultimately got behind it.

These polls will always polarise (excuse pun) the forum simply because we all have different tastes in cases, dials, movements, sizes, purposes, inscriptions and a whole load of other things. Last time, as part of the 2013 FLE team, I had to say "Sorry, this watch is not for me - maybe next time."

So maybe next time the FLE should not be a 40mm Slimline handwound with gold indices and Roman numerals. I for one would be happy to see a reversion to something more like type. But this time I think it was what we needed.
Agree absolutely - nice to see an elegant self wind - I like submariner/explorer type watches but there are a lot of them about - keep looking at a C61 and will be on look out in the NN sale in New Year
C60 - Khaki, Early Malvern, 2015 LE, C10 Aviator, Jump Hour, Black Trident Vintage
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i agree that the c5 case was probably the right choice for this year. and honestly, i'd consider buying one if i didn't already have the junghans (and rarely ever dress up).
the "g" is for Greg...
gbbird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gbbird »

I am in two minds with this as I really do not like the Roman numerals dial text.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

CW - C60 blue, C60 black orange, C600 tit, FLE13
Gerlach - Orp Sokol, P50, LuxSport. Ball Engineer
Omega Speedmaster. Oris Aquis
Longines Hydroconquest
Magrette - Regattare, DualTime, Moana
peter160866
Senior
Senior

Post by peter160866 »

gbbird wrote:I am in two minds with this as I really do not like the Roman numerals dial text.
It's all a personal thing of course but I realyfeel that the Roman numerals help with all over classic understated look of the watch - less is more ....
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

As I mentioned in another post....Think of it as the 10 year CW Forum Anniversary FLE. The Forum will be 10 years old on December 11, 2015.....or think of it as a bit of a testament to CWL. The C5 was the first CWL watch and Chris was been inspired into the watch industry by Thomas Russell.

I might be reaching a bit, but it is worth a shot. :D
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

I'll have to look at the finances closer to time to know. Until yesterday, I'd have bought it for sure. Have some unexpected expenses come up and may have to hope for NN or Last Few sale
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

No for me. Was out with the yellow.
DanV
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by DanV »

I would like to buy it and so have voted Yes, but it does depend on finances at the time, and whether I can justify it as I hope to buy an Omega AT not long before this goes on sale.

Definitely want to join the FLE club after years of lurking on the forum and missing my chance previously, so am highly likely to pull the trigger on this if it looks just as good when we are able to see some real photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CW C60 Trident GMT, Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, Tag Heuer Aqauracer Calibre 500, Orient Blue Ray
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

Not for me I am afraid... the design manages to include no fewer than three features I detest in a watch ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

I have every intention of getting back into the CW stable and buying something with the current logo, but it won't be this one, sadly. I have too many white dial watches as is, and like many, I rarely find a real need for a dress watch.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?