2015 FLE - Next Steps

The sixth Forum LE
Sold out
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: 2015 FLE - Next Steps

Post by downer »

ianblyth wrote:I have noticed that the dial text has been assumed to be all capitals. But I thing some of the options would look better with just the first letter being upper case.
Following the design aesthetic of the watch..........

But, let's first agree the text. We can have another poll on the font/case as a secondary step, if necessary.
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

SwampDonkey wrote:I find it interesting that all the discussion has been around the personalisation rather than the crystal - presumably because the museum grade crystal is a no-brainer decision?
I think that is because there are only two choices to go into the poll - standard or museum. At this point, we are looking for the poll choices, rather than trying make the final decision.
Richard
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

ianblyth wrote:I have noticed that the dial text has been assumed to be all capitals. But I thing some of the options would look better with just the first letter being upper case.
At the moment there isn't a single lower case letter on the C5 (including the logo) so using lower case text on the bottom half would be inconsistent with the overall design.

If you're going to offer a vote on that then you might as well offer votes on what font to use, what text colour, whether to use italics, etc...and we'll be here until next summer deciding!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
stevejc
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 30

Post by stevejc »

On the case back you have in the poll Forum Limited Edition 2015 and FLE personally I wouldn't mind FLE 2015, I've tried to quickly read all the thread so apologise if I missed it.

SteveJC
New Member of the C80 Owners Club
downer

Post by downer »

Added the option FLE 2015 for the caseback.

This is now the latest list:

Proposed choices so far:

Crystal Spec
  • Museum Grade Crystal for additional £65/$85
  • Standard C5 Slimline crystal
Dial Text
  • SLIMLINE
  • LIMITED EDITION
  • FORUM LE
  • MAGNUS SLIMLINE
  • 2015 SLIMLINE
  • MECHANICAL
  • TWENTY-FIFTEEN
  • No text
Caseback Text
  • Magnus Slim
  • Forum Limited Edition 2015
  • Limited Edition 2015
  • Limited Edition
  • FLE
  • FLE 2015
  • No additional text (standard C5S caseback)
(Let's worry about the font later, and let's assume the serial number will be in the form xxx/xxx for all proposals)
Richard
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

welshlad wrote:
At the moment there isn't a single lower case letter on the C5 (including the logo) so using lower case text on the bottom half would be inconsistent with the overall design.

If you're going to offer a vote on that then you might as well offer votes on what font to use, what text colour, whether to use italics, etc...and we'll be here until next summer deciding!
Why not. I have plenty of time. :lol:
Actually a number of polls can run concurrently so it would not take that much time.

As for the text the current C5 Slimline is upper case but looking at the C5 Mk I (Malvern and Aviator) they use Automatic. The first two FLEs also us just the first letter as caps. The 2009 has both Automatic and Limited Edition.

Most of the newer models seem to be using all caps. Although in this C5 Mk II the first picture is all caps and the next two and just first letter.
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dr ... k-mk2.html
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

downer wrote:I did not add the two-line option, as that may be considered a step too far in terms of design alterations.
Yeah, I agree with you it's a bit much. I'm surprised by how well the two lines matched up together, though. It would look better if they could be stylized smaller and appear concurrent. One think we can almost all agree on is no text is BORING! :yawn:
SwampDonkey wrote:I find it interesting that all the discussion has been around the personalisation rather than the crystal - presumably because the museum grade crystal is a no-brainer decision?
For me it is. Others may find the $85 steep since you already get a crystal that is readable...somewhat. The difference is incredible at first, then you get used to it, but once you compare it back to a watch with standard Sapphire it will become apparent why you spent the extra money. It's just gonna make the rosegold and blue much clearer to see and give the watch a special something. My take is to vote yes and save up the money until you can get it. If you were planning on ordering an alligator strap with it, perhaps skip the strap for now and get it later...you will regret it if you vote no. :clap:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

ianblyth wrote:Why not.
Because you'd be impinging on the design aesthetic of the C5 Slimline. And putting too many things to a vote runs the risk of ending up with a compromised mis-mash of ideas, losing the simplicity and elegance of Magnus's design along the way.

Referring to other models is not relevant because they are not the C5 Slimline and have different design aesthetics. In any case, for the C2FLE, the text on the bottom half of the dial is the worst thing about it. It doesn't match the other text, is inconsistent with half of it in italics and looks unbalanced. Fortunately, it still manages to be cool watch despite these flaws.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Magnus »

Devarika Woulf wrote:Hanging out at my mother's house eating supper but a little bored so I made some mockups. Maybe they will help. First one is blank. The forth one was my mum's idea and her favorite. :D

No Text
Limited Edition
Twenty-Fifteen
Twenty-Fifteen Limited Edition
These were really useful - thanks for taking the time to do them!

I had originally thought I was going to plump for a no-text option but on seeing these I think the poster who mentioned the need for balance on the dial was spot on. What to vote for now? :?
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

I could see Magnus Slim(line) being a bit too informal for such an exquisite piece. And it wouldn't quite fit the other FLE's.

Plus, I was half kidding when I suggested Magnus Slim as I got the idea from Virginia Slim ladies cigarettes!

I do like how it sounds, but I'm not as certain about the reality of it on a product. I say we drop it to be safe and consistent with past FLEs.

Now, my next suggestion is: MAGNUS SLIME!! :D

J
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

For 2015 on dial, how would Roman Numerals look?
DanV
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by DanV »

MMXV. I prefer not to have the date on the front but no issue with it appearing on the back. Do we really want to wear a watch that says 2015 on the front when we are in 2018, 2020 etc. I'd go with the simple "Limited Edition" for the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CW C60 Trident GMT, Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, Tag Heuer Aqauracer Calibre 500, Orient Blue Ray
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

gatehealing wrote:For 2015 on dial, how would Roman Numerals look?
MMXV

I like how the text is shorter on the bottom. Looks much better this way regardless of what text is put on.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

MMXV is cool, Joseph!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Serlo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Serlo »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:MMXV is cool, Joseph!
I second that.
Andreas