LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

C5 Slimline Semi Final discussion area

Post by Kip »

Here you may lobby and/or discuss the C5 Slimline semi final round for the 2015 FLE.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
RobinHague
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Re: C5 Slimline Semi Final discussion area

Post by RobinHague »

Red XII for me, it's different enough to be a Limited Ed.
Robin

C5 Battle of Britain (70) 6B/159 Automatic
#0631 of 1940
R30 ROM Victoria (wife's Christmas prezzy)
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

I did like that one but I feel at the price point it will somehow come across cheap looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

RobinHague wrote:Red XII for me, it's different enough to be a Limited Ed.
Totally agree. It is different enough from the rest of the CW range to be a great FLE, yet it is within a style that is not wholly uncommon in watches generally. As we know many well known brands produce marine watches, why not CW and why not an FLE? For me it is the obvious choice.

mabotham wrote:I did like that one but I feel at the price point it will somehow come across cheap looking
I must admit I don't quite follow this. Firstly we don't really know the price point yet. OK it will be at least the cost of the current CW, but even with a premium on top of that it would still be in the same ballpark as Steinhart or Stowa, and I don't think anyone would accuse those of looking "cheap"?
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

Just because it's in the same ballpark price wise doesn't mean quality is equal. I meant if the red XII is printed on the dial it may look cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

mmm
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Red XII for me, but you knew that anyway. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Gradie
Senior
Senior

Post by Gradie »

Classic white face blue hand for me. I don't buy the whole needs to be different thing. I think it's the best looker of the lot, and puts a classic CW design in a slimmer package, something a lot of people have wanted. if CW were to come out and say they have plans for a slimline of this design then for me it's the green as something that stands out and is different whilst still classy.

The others will never get my vote. I think a blue second hand clashes with the rose gold, abd the marine watch just isn't my style at all.
Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Konketsu »

Having a hard time choosing which slimline design to vote for. I proposed a green dial initially, but not with gold hardware which I have already in my Tropik B.

The marine style red XII is a watch I've been looking for since joining here.. but the new C9 style in a size I can wear would be great too!

For now my vote goes to the red XII marine, since I still think the C9 needle hands are hard to read.

All of the designs are nice and I will probably get the winner if it beats out the yellow C65.
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Green for me, stands out as more of a special limid edition than a couple of rehashes of current looks. Marine style is also nice but wouldn't buy it.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Konketsu wrote:Having a hard time choosing which slimline design to vote for. ...

The marine style red XII is a watch I've been looking for since joining here.. but the new C9 style in a size I can wear would be great too!

For now my vote goes to the red XII marine, since I still think the C9 needle hands are hard to read.

All of the designs are nice and I will probably get the winner if it beats out the yellow C65.
I share most of your sentiments, except that the green dial is the only design I'm not likely to get if it wins.

As for whether a CWL marine watch might look cheap with a printed red XII, didn't their C1 Russell come with all printed Roman numerals on the dial? The C1 looks pretty respectable to me.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Soulspawn
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 0

Post by Soulspawn »

Go green!!!!
Something different and outstanding!
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

08 - Red XII for me. Of all the remaining candidates in both categories it stands out as a distinctive piece worthy of being called a FLE. While the others all have their merits - and hats off to the designers - I think this one fits the bill for me. Furthermore, I think it's likely that the C9 will appear in a 40mm version next year, as the C61 emerged from the C60.

Furthermore, it's reminiscent of the classic C1 - one of my favourite CW models!

PS: I think the process of choosing the 2015 FLE is superb - well done chaps.
SwampDonkey
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by SwampDonkey »

I quite like this vote. There are three C5's that I'd quite happily pay for as a result of this. Not particularly bothered which takes the semi-final win (although I'd prefer the "slimline" text to be removed).

An interesting process, well done to all involved.
Pete

Christopher Ward C5 Malvern
Christopher Ward C9 5 Day Automatic
Oris Artelier Small Seconds Pointer Date
IWC Ref. 2403
Max Bill Automatic
Tag Heuer Carrera Twin Time
Stowa Marine Original
Steinhart OVM
Mr Jones Watches Sun & Moon
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Magnus »

If the Marine wins, could we look at dropping the red XII?

J & S Watch Co have had a similar model for a while and though the marine style is not unique, the red XII is too similar for my tastes

That being said - I do like the design.

2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1