C9 D-Type

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Re: C9 D-Type

Post by asqwerth »

FloridaPhil wrote:...

I thought the marketing plan was to offer a product similar to the big boys without the marketing and AD cost overhead resulting in more affordable quality watches.

I guess the small piece of sheet metal is what makes these limited edition pieces and results in the premium. I would be interested to know what a non-sheet metal piece would retail for, limited edition or not, similar to the C70 motorsport line.
Another thing that can be compared would be:

a) what a Bremont non-scrap metal/wood watch costs when it comes with a tie-in with Jaguar: http://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont-jag ... n-watches/
[this is not really a like-for-like comparison though as MkI contains their in-house/exclusive movement and Mk2 is a chronograph]

and

b) what their version of a scrap metal watch costs: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/first ... chley-park

In the past, the CW magazine would give some detail on how much the whole piece of scrap metal cost them/Art Metal to purchase, so if they do the same here, at least you will have that information in due course.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

asqwerth wrote: Another thing that can be compared would be:

a) what a Bremont non-scrap metal/wood watch costs when it comes with a tie-in with Jaguar: http://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont-jag ... n-watches/
[this is not really a like-for-like comparison though as MkI contains their in-house/exclusive movement and Mk2 is a chronograph]

and

b) what their version of a scrap metal watch costs: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/first ... chley-park

In the past, the CW magazine would give some detail on how much the whole piece of scrap metal cost them/Art Metal to purchase, so if they do the same here, at least you will have that information in due course.
The model I was thinking of is this one - much closer in style to the CW. I handled one of these in April when I visited Aruba. The AD started at $4,850 but came down to $4,300 (duty free). It was very nicely done, oozed quality but I didn't buy it.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/bremont-jag ... iii-watch/

The vendor claimed it was a limited edition of 500 but there was no serial number on the watch and I could not find anything online to indicate how many watches were in the issue.

So, that said, you can (could?) get a (possible limited edition) Bremont with a bona fide tie in with Jaguar or a definitely limited CW with an implied tie-in with Jaguar. Hmmmm.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

Oops, didn't realise a Mk 3 existed.

Well, as I said in an earlier post, it depends how much value you place on owning a genuine piece of a presumably famous/ historically-significant Jaguar (I'm completely not interested in car racing). If it's important to you, then you may not care about any official tie-in with Jaguar, since you have an actual piece of car-racing history.
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

st-rider wrote:I thought Bremont had the tie in with Jaguar. Hope CW aren't stepping on toes. I guess by just saying D type it's implied.

Still, on-topic that doesn't look too bad. Power reserve as fuel gauge. I'm sure done before but makes me smile.
Don't confuse this model in honor of the D Type to a tie in with Jaguar. There is no mention of that anywhere that I have seen. You may recall that CW did a C70 D Type a couple years ago and there was no tie there either.

Agree about the power reserve fuel gauge.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

CW are becoming the masters of implying connections that don't actually exist, treading a very fine line on certain occasions.....

One assumes they have permission to use the Zagato tradename?
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

Tyke wrote:CW are becomes the masters of implying connections that don't actually exist, treading a very fine line on certain occasions.....

One assumes they have permission to use the Zagato tradename?
I may not be impressed by any car- or racing- (or airplane!) related watches or other items but I think that is an unfair statement.

You don't need to imply connections to a brand of cars when what you are selling is a watch containing a piece of some actual car.

Isis
Expert
Expert

Post by Isis »

Attempting to inspire thoughts of Chopard?
As it is, an expensive , bland , mishmash with some scrap metal.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

asqwerth wrote:

I may not be impressed by any car- or racing- (or airplane!) related watches or other items but I think that is an unfair statement.

You don't need to imply connections to a brand of cars when what you are selling is a watch containing a piece of some actual car.

I think you'll find that Zagato are an Italian bespoke coachbuilder rather than a specific brand of cars and as such will have registered their trademark to that name. As such, using it without permission would be dubious so all I'm saying is I hope CW requested permission. They changed their tennis promotion to remove all traces of a well known tournament - possibly under pressure to do so, so you hope they tread more carefully on the actual naming of a car related watch. After all they got into trouble with their Becketts model......
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

^^^^^what he said +1^^^^^
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by st-rider »

I think CW can get away with calling a watch Zagato as it contains a bit of an actual Zagato designed car. That's my take on it anyhow. They're not using the Zagato Z logo.

However, as with Aston Martin and the DB4 Zagato and the Vantage Zagato the use of the Zagato can imo imply that Zagato had a hand in the styling / design of the watch. That may also imply that it is a Zagato endorsed product. It muddies the water.

Then again I guess people get paid real money to sort this stuff out, corporate identity and all that. Although I am reminded of a case by a plane maker against a condom firm for calling their products Stealth (ref. here). How you can confuse a condom with a multi million dollar B2 airplane I fail to see. Taking it out of the packet for me would be a bit of a clue but we are talking about Americans ;). Plus shouldn't this discussion be in the C9 Zagato thread?

BTW Aston Martin have announced another car model tie in with Zagato doing the styling (ref. here). So with this imo it might confuse some people if there is a Zagato watch available.
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

Although referring to the Zagato branding, the reason for posting in this thread was a direct reply to another post. It could be moved to the other thread but would lose its meaning. Even if it doesn't use the Z, the name will be trademarked so relying on it having a piece of a vehicle designed or built by Zagato might not be enough to satify they lawyers. As long as they have permission if they use the name there is nothing to worry about.

It will be interesting to see them roll it out & how they actually name and describe it, after all the title given could just be a working title.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by asqwerth »

Tyke wrote:Although referring to the Zagato branding, the reason for posting in this thread was a direct reply to another post. It could be moved to the other thread but would lose its meaning. Even if it doesn't use the Z, the name will be trademarked so relying on it having a piece of a vehicle designed or built by Zagato might not be enough to satify they lawyers. As long as they have permission if they use the name there is nothing to worry about.

It will be interesting to see them roll it out & how they actually name and describe it, after all the title given could just be a working title.
@Tyke, my post was in reply to an earlier post of yours saying, "CW are becomes the masters of implying connections that don't actually exist,...".

Although you went on to mention Zagato in your 2nd sentence, my assumption was that since you had posted in this thread, you were making a general statement in your first sentence that by just mentioning "D-type" and having a piece of said car in the watch, CW was implying a connection with Jaguar.

Looks like there was a bit of confusion there.

Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Tyke »

asqwerth wrote:
Tyke wrote:Although referring to the Zagato branding, the reason for posting in this thread was a direct reply to another post. It could be moved to the other thread but would lose its meaning. Even if it doesn't use the Z, the name will be trademarked so relying on it having a piece of a vehicle designed or built by Zagato might not be enough to satify they lawyers. As long as they have permission if they use the name there is nothing to worry about.

@Tyke, my post was in reply to an earlier post of yours saying, "CW are becomes the masters of implying connections that don't actually exist,...".

Although you went on to mention Zagato in your 2nd sentence, my assumption was that since you had posted in this thread, you were making a general statement in your first sentence that by just mentioning "D-type" and having a piece of said car in the watch, CW was implying a connection with Jaguar.

Looks like there was a bit of confusion there.
Apologies, we were at cross purposes to some extent, my posting in that context was a comment regarding the ambushing of other companies names for commercial gain and the dangers CW might face in linking to companies and organisations by implying a greater level of official collaboration and agreement than actually exists.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

I know it's meant to be evocative of 60's hand lettered dials, but it's just 'flat', there is no life to the dial, it should have been a matte black dial with sharply printed, clean white numerals and indices (like a Smith's dial).
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
robdoe1993
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 28

Post by robdoe1993 »

Recently paid a trip to my local Ernest Jones to gaze at and (strongly question) the 3200 price tag of the latest Baume Mercier Shelby Cobra, but this homage makes me think twice about the whole thing. Better package all round, and that's without venturing into other prestige motor' related brands - Bremont, Blancpain, Heuer etc.

No doubt its a classy watch with some very admirable features, but the marketing package is a little off for me.