Trident

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Trident

Post by village »

Mortis wrote:I presume the Trident's similarity to the Bremont Supermarine is intentional?

I don't mind, as I think the CWL is nicer, but it is just a shame that it's a quartz so I won't be getting one. :(

I'm not so sure it is similar except in that it shares similarities most dive watches hold.
And nicer? Really?....sorry to CW here and all but doesn't hold a candle to the Bremont IMHO
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes

Post by paw3001 »

I agree with Village, If I had a spare £3K I would go for the Bremont
Watches - Too many but not enough!
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

village wrote:
Mortis wrote:I presume the Trident's similarity to the Bremont Supermarine is intentional?

I don't mind, as I think the CWL is nicer, but it is just a shame that it's a quartz so I won't be getting one. :(

I'm not so sure it is similar except in that it shares similarities most dive watches hold.
And nicer? Really?....sorry to CW here and all but doesn't hold a candle to the Bremont IMHO
paw3001 wrote:I agree with Village, If I had a spare £3K I would go for the Bremont

I'd agree again.....I had a good look at several Bremont watches, and a long chat with the sales guy whilst in Selfridges a while back, and they are indeed very nice watches!! :D
John
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes

Post by Mortis »

Well, I suppose it is each to their own. I've looked at a couple of Bremonts and I could only see them for what they are: CWL-alikes with a higher price tag. They are trading on a name and celebrity endorsement, and if you want to buy an image then fair enough. The watches themselves are pretty standard with minimal modification from the ETA standard mechanisms and of a lower quality than other, more established, brands in the same price bracket. I'd happily take a higher quality Rolex at the same price.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by village »

Mortis wrote: They are trading on a name and celebrity endorsement, and if you want to buy an image then fair enough.
I'd happily take a higher quality Rolex at the same price.

The irony is delicious........

They've only been around for about 3 years so i would say they are building the name,not trading on it.Outside of WIS circles they are virtually unknown.
Yes they use some celebs,but then tell me a watch brand in the same ilk that doesn't.
Have you really handled these/taken a delve inside etc? If so i am at a loss to see how you think they are of a low quality,even relatively speaking.The engineering and time that goes into them is fantastic....the Martin Baker,for instance. I'm by no means a fanboy of the brand,but i have met the two brothers Giles & Nick,and had a good chat...they are proper WIS's...the enthusiasm behind them is there to see.Have to say i would love to own one at some time in the future-i think they are built to last and will be around for a long time.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

Now if you talking about buying a watch for it's name you can't beat a Rolex. Their movements may be reliable but they are generally very poorly finished. That's why you never see a Rolex with an exhibition back!

I don't think anyone is buying Bremont for the name as most people wouldn't recognise them but I agree, as with all "higher" brands, you do pay for the marketing and celebrity endorsements etc.. However, George Clooney wearing Omega doesn't make me buy Omega. I buy them because I like the design and movements.

I know that Bremont use ETA movements, just like Tag, IWC, Hublot etc but they do carry out some modifications e.g. look at the Martin Baker models. However the quality of the materials and finish trumps anything CW has produced and you would hope so for the price you are paying!
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

I have posted earlier that I found the onion/kremlin hour hand on the Trident was not to my taste (I forget my exact words). When I see the similar hand on the Bremont Supermarine I begin suspect that I am just a brand-whore. The onion/kremlin on the Bremont looks fine!

WHY?

Well I don't really know, but I will hazard an apologist guess that the onion is the defining feature of the Trident, whereas the bezel is the thing that hits me first on the Supermarine - and I LIKE that bezel!.. then I like the strap - texture looks great (I wonder what it feels like). The strap texture is reflected in the centre of the dial - clever stuff!

The markers are the same, size is similar, movement looks equivalent... It is interesting that the feature that I associate with a CW watch, the dual layer/contrast dial (the outer dial being differentiated from the inner) is present on the Bremont Supermarine but not the CW Trident which has a uniform Seamaster-style wavy dial.

I give up - time for bed - but Supermarine {YES!} : Trident {growing on me}.

<dreams> #please improve the bezel#
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
carlt69
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by carlt69 »

Wow, I hope the Trident isn't going to be anywhere near the price of the Bremont Supermarine or i'm out!! :(

I really, really want one too! So Please CW bring it in under the £1000, wel under as well please :lol:

and the icing on the cake would be if it was an automatic =D>
Tudor BB Blue
Tudor Pelagos :D
BALL Fireman Storm Chaser Pro
CWL C60 Trident Pro
Vostok Europe Almaz Bronze
Casio G-Shock x 2
Tissot T-Touch Expert Titanium
foghorn
Senior
Senior

Post by foghorn »

I like it and am not put off by the quartz movement.
I have enough automatics at this point to actually cause me concern should they all need servicing at once!
I'd like to see a different name though since NFW,Reactor, and Chase- Durer all have "Trident" models.
thiru
Junior
Junior

Post by thiru »

1) I would like to see the "Day & Date" rather than just the "Date";
2) I would like to have a longer time lume;
3) I would like to see an automatic eventually.
Toast

Post by Toast »

Actually, the Rolex 3135 is a pretty nicely finished movement. Exhibition backs aren't great for waterproof watches, though - look how thick a sapphire crystal is & think about whether you want to add another to the thickness of the watch!!

There's actually a photo of the parts laid out here, and a (slightly abridged, no pun intended) video of an assembly:

http://www.dkpw.co.uk/wp/?p=2020

I do like the Trident, though my interest mostly lies with the GMT auto version. I do think it's important to keep the look distinct from existing watches, though - what I've seen of CWL is so much more than a "budget lookalike" watch company, why take even little risks in paying homage to other designs?
Also, loving the Trident name. IMO the Trident sub is a reason why it is a good name, not why it isn't! :shock:
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Super video.

I agree the Trident is a great name.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

ianblyth wrote:Trident is a great name.
... and an even better second hand.

CW (if you read this) - - you really do nice second hands!
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robin CB »

Loddonite wrote:
ianblyth wrote:Trident is a great name.
... and an even better second hand.

CW (if you read this) - - you really do nice second hands!
Yep - even the second hand on my Malvern Aviator is a subtle work of art 8)
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by paw3001 »

Toast wrote:Actually, the Rolex 3135 is a pretty nicely finished movement. Exhibition backs aren't great for waterproof watches, though - look how thick a sapphire crystal is & think about whether you want to add another to the thickness of the watch!!
Cheers Toast, I stand corrected on the Rolex 3135 movement but generally they do seem to get poor feedback on their level of finish. I hasten to add not on their reliablity. Are there any Rolexes that display their movements because I have not had the opportunity to see one and you would think that a true manufacturer would want to show off all their skill with their "takes a year to make" watches?

However, I disagree on your point about exhibition backs and waterproofing. Divers only form a part of the numerous watch styles and uses, including the Rolex range, and so the majority of watches do not need to be water resistant beyond 150m and so an exhibition back is fine without the crystal needing to be 4/5mm thick like in a deep sea diver of 300m+.

My Omega AT is WR to 150m, which is good enough for swimming, and has an exhibition back. In fact my PAM 312 is 300m WR and has a exhibition back. However, I do agree that any proper Diver watch, which is used for scuba diving or commercial diving, should have a screw down case back with an "o" ring