Atnits SOTC and consolidation help

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Atnits SOTC and consolidation help

Post by atnits »

It's been a while since I did a SOTC. Compared with my last one, there don't seem to have been many changes. But at one point I'd sold all my original watches bar the Breitling, and I've been through a variety of other watches including Nomos Clubs and Datejusts.

Anyway, here's the small collection as it stands today - Oris classic chronograph, Seamaster 120, Oysterdate 6694, Breitling Colt...

So, the Oris. Probably my favourite of the chronographs I've tried out, perhaps bar a Navitimer. I love the colours, the size of it (38mm), the fact it's my most comfortable watch. It seems to suit all occasions.

The Omega. I've always liked Seamasters, and nearly bought a "Bond" one several times. I like the smaller size of this one, and the white face. 36mm, so a really good size for me. V accurate and probably feels the best quality of all my watches.

The Rolex. I've always liked Rolex, and have tried out lots over the years. A Submariner was the aim for a long time. I then decided I preferred a slightly smaller look, and thus leaned towards Datejusts, Explorers and Air Kings. I owned a couple of vintage datejusts (fluted bezels), but I prefer the look of this 6694. The condition of it and the dial colour just stood out for me. Despite the fact that I was planning to get either an Air King or a 36mm Explorer, I couldn't resist this watch.

The Breitling. I bought this when I was on the lookout for a Bond SMP. It took me a while to "bond" with this one, but now I prefer it to an SMP - the hard-as-nails bezel, the applied numerals, the smaller 38mm size. I wear this the most of all my watches.

So there we are. I have also got a Casio for sports (pics available on request). And I've always got an eye on the "next" watch, like the rest of us. These have included getting a C5 Aviator again (why on earth did I sell mine?!), and getting a Breitling Colt GMT and replacing my own Colt.

However - and here's where you come in - I've got some unavoidable costs on the horizon and will probably need to downsize this massive collection of watches. This would mean reducing to either 2 watches or 1 single one. (I need to raise at least £1500.)

I like all of these watches, and wouldn't sell them if I didn't have to. But there we are. So - which 2 work best as a pair? Or which single 1 could I live with as a do-all watch (and then build up the collection again when funds allow)?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Atnits SOTC and consolidation help

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A shame if you have to lose any of them really. They are a lovely quartet of watches, and having seen your dilemmas with sizes over the years you seem very happy with the way that they wear.

I have never really looked at Oris or Breitling for myself. Perfectly good watches, very good in fact, but I was simply never attracted to them. There was always something else that I preferred.

The Omega is lovely, although from my point of view I would say that it is a bit too white. I like some contrast on a watch dial and would probably find that difficult to live with.

I have gradually lost some of my interest in vintage watches, but if I had been starting my collection later and looking for a single wearable vintage piece, your Rolex would probably fit the bill nicely. The dilemma being that it will probably give you the most beneficial resale.

I think that in your case I would be looking to keep something as an everyday watch and something for more formal, dressier occasions. Based on what you have said and on my own tastes, I would probably think about keeping the Breitling and the Rolex.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

you have a really nice collection with four great watches.
If you do have to downsize :shock: I would keep the Oris and the Rolex.
The Breitling and omega should get you easily over your target. The colt i think has been on the block before and if you are looking to upgrade to a GMT when funds allow Its an easy choice. The Omega is a bit harder but i think you would miss the Rolex more it a watch you couldn't resist and would struggle to replace.
The Oris you obviously like and is your most comfortable and suits all occasions.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That is a great four watch collection you have and it's a pity that you are having to contemplate downsizing it a bit.

I like all of them and remember being close to buying the Oris when it was for sale on the forum a couple of years ago (so if you are looking to sell it :wink: )

Taking into account your comments though, if you can keep two then I'd keep the Oris (you describe it as your most comfortable watch and one that suits all occasions) and the Breitling (as the one you wear most often - there must be good reason why that is so!).

If you then had to go down to one watch I'd probably say keep the Breitling, it is after all your one watch that is still with you after all this time and all the changes in the collection.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

A well thought through collection suiting your known preferences.

If you need some dosh pronto, flog them all and buy another CW Aviator Mark II.

You know it makes sense.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

scooter wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:00 am

You know it makes sense.

scooter
I have actually considered that option!
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I thought you might.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

As already said, a really well thought through quartet which covers four classic genres of watch; Aviator, Diver, Dress and Tool. They each have their own styles and qualities.

If, as you suggest, needs must that sales must be made, the one to keep, to my mind, is the Breitling on the grounds simply that it is your most worn and potentially the three other should help you achieve your aim.

As you know, I have a soft spot for the Oris, having bought it, and sold it back to you twice. Alright its a bit smaller than my norm, but being on the Vintage side makes up for that and it has a venerable 7750 inside.
scooter wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:00 am A well thought through collection suiting your known preferences.

You know it makes sense.

scooter
of course you know where there is a pristine MkI that might be available. :wink:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Thanks for the thoughts thus far, everyone.

I've been mulling over the options.

Ideally I'd like to keep the Rolex. If I sold it, I'd definitely want another at some point, plus I bought this one relatively recently and would thus take the biggest loss on it compared with my other watches.

This would be a combo I could live with:

(Keen viewers might spot that I'll still have chronograph needs covered.)

However, this option would mean that I wouldn't raise enough money.

Alternatively I could just keep the Rolex as a one-watch solution. It's a little delicate, though, some might argue.

Alternatively again, I could just accept I'll lose money on the Rolex and sell it anyway. This combo would then sort-of work:

Or I could finally decide to pick one of these "sturdier" watches above as a one-watch solution, or go with just the Oris:

I'll spend the next few days wearing them all in rotation. (And maybe buy a scratch card or two.)
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

That idea didn't work.

I'm going to give myself a couple of months to attempt to save some money.

Then (having failed miserably), I think it'll probably be bye-bye to the Rolex and a.n.other.
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

You could look at which two would be easiest to replace in the not too distant, if you'd really like to get the collection back to its current state when funds allow?
So many watches, yet still so little time!
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

If it does have to happen Anthony it would be easy for me. The Rolex and the Brietling. Both fantastic plus a great size and cover everything.
Job done. Next please
Cheers now, Paul
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Great foursome Anthony and thanks for sharing.

If I really had to lose 2 of them, the Oris and Rolex would get chopped.

You stated that you kept the Breitling in your first fire sale and it's your most worn. That has to count for something I reckon.

Also, having owned an Omega SM120, I know that it is super comfy to wear and the overall package has rock-solid build quality (minus the clasp maybe :)).
With it being a white dial, it should be pretty versatile and dress up if/when required.

What really convinces me about the above pair is that you already have the option of bracelet/leather with both.

Best of luck with the decision :thumbup:
Ryan
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Thanks for the recent comments chaps. I still can't decide which to get rid of, yet decision time is looming ever closer (possibly in the next couple of weeks).

Some days I think: keep the Rolex and Breitling - they cover everything I would ever need.

Other days I think: keep the Rolex and Omega, then save up for a Rolex Explorer 14270 in the distant future to make a great 3-some.

And other days I think: just keep the Oris - it's an all-rounder that I really like, and might be the trickiest to replace. Then save up for a Rolex Sub/Explorer 2 in the very distant future to make a great 2-some.

So there we are. No idea what'll happen.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

As long as this is an open forum, and though I have never met any of you, I will offer my opinion from across the pond. The decision is as easy as black and white. The Oris, for all those casual outings when something a little sporty is called for. The beautiful white Omega, for those more formal occasions, can be worn anywhere... From a shirt and tie affair to a wedding. Good luck in your delima. :thumbup:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight