Bahnstormer_vRS - August 2018

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Bahnstormer_vRS - August 2018

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Seeing as I've only done two previous SOTCs in December 2014 and April 2016 and seeing as the content of my collection has changed, evolved, ballooned significantly this year, I thought it was about time I started a new, current SOTC.

To preface this SOTC by saying that, of the watches I had two and a half years ago I have only got one remaining, my Marathon Navigator and two that I have sold and recently repurchased replacements; a C8 MkI Cream dial and C9 2011 FLE. I also have several of my older pieces from my initial STOC.

THE PROLOGUE

For most of my life I've been, like many people, a one watch person.

My oldest watch is a SEIKO Digital Alarm Chrono A158-5050 that, as far as I recall, was bought for me by my parents as a birthday present in my late teens / early twenties. Its still in good working order, although the 'light' button is a bit iffy and it currently needs a new battery (the display is flashing and doesn't show in the photo). I wear it very occasionally.

PS> This does work; just the photo was taken at a time when the battery had gone flat.

I was in the Army for 10 years in my twenties and during this time I predominantly wore an issued G1098 quartz watch.

Thereafter I had a couple of SEIKOs through until Christmas 1990 when my wife bought me a SEIKO Quartz Chronograph SQ100 8M25-603A as a 'Thank you' for looking after her following a bunion operation. This again is in good working order. Having worn it daily for nearly 20 years the links on the bracelet wore out and I was eventually able to get a SEIKO replacement that is close to the original in design.

In the meantime, I resorted to ebay and bought a couple of used SEIKOs to use for daily wear; perhaps this was the start of the slippery slope . . . .

EARLY DAYS

Both my parents passed away in 2011. Around this time, and for a couple of years before, I had begun thinking of getting a 'proper watch' (whatever that defines?) and was attracted to TAG Heuer. Having settled my Mother's Estate in early 2012 I decided to us my share of the value of her car (£3,500) to buy a watch and set about looking at TAGs etc. in earnest particularly a Monte Carlo. I then, thanks to the pages of EVO, discovered Christopher Ward following a short review of the C11 HRDC, went on-line, got a catalogue and thought ' why should I spent my watch fund on one watch when I could buy a couple of CWs and have plenty of change.

I therefore in late May 2012 decided to get a smart, distinguished watch that I could own In Memoriam of my Mother and settled on a C9 Chrono LE with a C11 MSL Black Manta as a slightly more daily watch; although at this stage I still had a couple of daily wear SEIKOs as well.

Moving forward, developing a greater interest in watches and still with funds in my fund, I looked for another CW watch to get and a C40 Speedhawk was my next addition. It was / is a good Motorsport style watch and somewhat similar to a SEIKO quartz Chrono that I had at the time which I wanted to replace. The new price was more than I wanted to pay but, as good fortune would have it, I found one on ebay at a good price.

at the same time, early September 2012 I joined this forum (The Asylum) and the slippery slope got even slippier!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

THE COLLECTION

OK: let's fast forward to the present day . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . and start with this quick summation from the '10 Quickfire Questions about your Collection' topic;-
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Well . . . hold on . . . here goes;-

How many watches currently in your collection: 45(ish)

The most popular brand in your collection and how many: CW = 15

Your current 'best' watch: CW C9 Me109 SPC (or rather MP) #053/100

Your 'regret' watch that you sold and regretted: C11 Makaira Elite

Your 'beater' watch: Casio / Marathon Navigator

Your 'best buy' watch: Elliot Brown Canford Clipper LE

Your biggest disappointment watch: Not got one, or if I had I sold it.

Your most accurate automatic watch: CW C60 Trident Pro COSC

What's your favourite CW model: C60 Trident Chronograph Prototype and CW C9 Me109 SPC (or rather MP) #053/100

Your next watch: CW C8 SH21 Concorde TMB Art LE (with a couple in between perhaps :problem:)

Guy

First up, to say that I'm doing this SOTC a bit at a time.

PART I - CW DIVERS

Let's start with my CW Divers, which I keep in a leather CW watch box;-

and the contents;-

The watches are, in order top to bottom and left to right,

C6 Kingfisher Cream dial quartz

C6 Kingfisher Yellow dial Automatic LE - I had a C6 Kingfisher yellow quartz in earlier year but the opportunity to buy this rare Auto LE popped up earlier this year. Its currently on a CW Black / Yellow NATO which I find to be excellent (keep meaning to buy some others).

C6 Kingfisher Black dial quartz - this is currently steadily ticking away, has been for the last three months since I got it, with the seconds hand moving at four second intervals; a sign of a low battery. I'm testing how long it will run in this state before sending it in to CW for a service and new battery.

C6 Kingfisher Blue dial quartz - the start of my Kingfisher quartet, bought in the spring this year from our esteemed antipodean (relative to me) member, gaf1958. Strap is a blue Camo rubber strap from Watchgecko, which has a stepped profile adjacent to the lugs that sits really well against the lugs to give it a fitted look and feel.

C4 Phoenix Silver dial - bit of a rare one this, as it is an early 'Swiss Movt' model (pre Swiss Made era) CW and the welcome letter from Chris Ward is on headed paper from CW's pre Park Street office in Cookham. I've also got the original CW strap with twin pin buckle and another new, unused one. Its currently on a Di-Modell VENEZUELA.

C65 Trident Diver Black dial - I bought this on release by CW and chose the Black dial as 1. I feel it represents the Vintage ethos of the model better than the Blue dial version and 2. the Black dial is more versatile when it comes to matching up straps, for which I feel a NATO is the slam dunk choice.

C60 MkI Trident Pro Chronometer LE (of 500) - classic black / black version with COSC auto movement, bought Nearly New in the recent Summer Sale. Arguably a classic CW and I prefer the matt aluminium bezel, blog hour markers and date at 4:20 to the current ceramic, baton, 3:00 of the MkII Trident Pro 600. It is surprisingly slim with the caseback flat and level with the bottom edge of the case.

C60 Trident Pro 600 Chronograph Prototype #000/100 - aka The Hulk - CW held a Forum and FB Group exclusive sale of Prototypes in the Spring of 2017. Quite a number of unique watches were made available, a majority of which were snapped up in the first 24 hours. This Trident Chrono was though still available after 72 hours or so, when I took the plunge to get it. Why did it not sell earlier? Perhaps it was the style, perhaps it was the price (higher end of CW range) either way I needed a consolidation of five watches to cover the cost.

It is a complete pain to match a strap up to it (maybe that's part of the reason why CW didn't put it into production) and after about six months of many strap changes I gave up and put it back on its bracelet.

However, something still didn't quite gel until the penny dropped that it was the polished centre links that were at odds with the mostly brushed case.

Solution? Brush the bracelet leaving the sides polished to blend in with polished bevel edge of the case.

OK; that's it for now. Part II the CW Aviators to follow.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Bahnstormer_vRS - August 2018

Post by Richard D »

An informative personal SOTC which I have throughly enjoyed reading. I don’t do favourites as each watch is a joy. :thumbup:
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

A massive undertaking and a great collection to match.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Ah, the divers! Some nice ones in there Guy. :thumbup:
Steve.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

That’s a great start, Guy. Looking forward very much to the next instalment, and thoroughly enjoyed this one. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Yes, the divers. Probably the best place to start, but I suspect that your aviators may well outnumber them... Maybe not CWs, but in total perhaps.

I liked your introduction Guy, nice bit of history behind your “conversion “ to the watch madness we all suffer to some extent.

I’m notably a fan of the Kingfishers; you’re missing only an orange to have the full colour set. :) However, big and heavy it may be, the admittedly strap-unfriendly C60 chronograph is IMO the pick of that box. :thumbup:
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
downer

Post by downer »

Nice to see them all in one place, Guy. I agree with Gary - no matter how big or heavy the Chronograph prototype is - it's the pick of the bunch. :thumbup:
Richard
nigelb001
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by nigelb001 »

Nice group of watches there Guy and an excellent read. I look forward to further instalments. :thumbup:
CW C7 Rapide / Breitling Top Time + Superocean / Laco Memmingen
Tissot PRS516 Auto + PRS516 Chrono / Seiko Padi Turtle
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

Fantastic post Guy, thanks for sharing. Love the Kingfishers, look forward to seeing your next installment

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That CW leather watch box looks very nice I must say. Great watches too. My favourites of the divers would be the yellow Kingfisher LE, the C65 diver. I do like the protochrono too but way too big for me.

Look forward to the next instalment of your SOTC!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

Some super looking watches there Guy . There are also some lovely looking watch/strap combinations , very nice indeed . Looking forward to your next instalment .
Bernie
Bahnstormer_vRS

Thanks for all your comments so far gents. Very much appreciated.

Please forgive me for not replying individually at this stage, as I want to get on with part II . . . . . . .

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

PART II - CW AVIATORS

As with my CW Divers I keep and cosset my CW Aviators in a CW leather box;-

The watches are, in case size order top to bottom and left to right,

C5A MkI - I bought this about a year ago to retry the smaller size (I'd had a C5A prototype a couple of years ago). It was a bit scruffy and there was an issue with the crown. It therefore went to CW for some TLC and came back in as new condition with a new case.

C5A Battle of Britain LE - I bought this from friend and forum colleague Kevin_b1. Its a keeper.

C10 MkI Auto - a better size for me, at 42mm, and a bit of a rarity.

C9 2011 FLE -

C9 Me 109 SPC - the pinnacle of CW's current range with their wonderful Single Pusher Chronograph movement.

When this was released last Autumn I really felt it was a watch I would like to get but, at that time, the opportunity was not there. Roll forward to this Spring, following the bereavement of my wife, and having seen the watch in the metal on my visit to CW for the Moderator's meetings, I decided to get it and was able to secure the serial number corresponding to my late wife's year of birth. A most memorable purchase.

C8 MkI - one of my early CW purchases, bought in preference to and replacing a C8 MkII. Not this specific watch as I sold my original one some years ago, but I was able to pick this up a couple of months ago. The classic Aviator style is great.

C8 Regulator MkII LE - bought on release last year; I'd ordered it and reserved a memorable serial number (my Father's birth year. He had been a Fleet Air Arm Pilot in WW2), on the strength of the initial teaser picture in Loupe.

C7 MkII Joint Force Harrier - being a C7, which is part of the Motorsports range, this might be considered an imposter in this section, but I include it as an Aviator due to the connection with the Harrier VTOL/STOL fighter aircraft.

In the late 1970s, whilst based in Germany as part of the BAOR the transport Squadron I was in used to work with the RAF moving the equipment required to build tactical air bases, mostly in woods, for the Harrier.

Next up, Part III, my Other Brands . . . . . . . .

Guy

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'm not a big fan of Aviators but I do like the C9 me109 and also the Regulator.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

My favourites would have to be the C9 FLE (which I once owned)and the cream C8 (I have a cream MkII), but the undoubted winner for me is that lovely single pusher.

The single pusher, in both releases, is a fabulous watch. Kudos to CW for making them so very different, but both so damned nice...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier