DANCEMATT - SOTC 2018, 10 years a slave

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

DANCEMATT - SOTC 2018, 10 years a slave

Post by Dancematt »

This year ive been collecting for ten years. Ten years! What a waste of life :lol: the collection has gone through four or five incarnations in that time (with the last one posted January 2016), some things have changed but some watches will never be sold and that list grew little bigger last year.

Bremont MBII white 2017
Wore this one a bit last year, less this year so far it seems, I do like it and it was a great price but it seems like overkill when I prefer to wear the Alt1-z

CWC RN Diver 2015
I wore this for the vast majority of my sons first year on this planet, therefore it is in a lot of family photos and a lot of memories, even so it doesn't have a Mark on it, previously owned the sbs variant. these are tough as nails divers and very underrated (if now waaay overpriced!)

Sinn U1 2016
Acquired in a trade + cash against my old Doxa sub 50th anniversary. A nice big diver. Way over spec'd for normal life, haven't really allowed myself to bond with it and is already up for sale.

Vostok Amphibia Tank 2014 - a Christmas gift from the better half, I remember when she bought this for me, it sat in her chest of drawers for at least four months, I knew it was there and peeked at it when she didn't know. the wait for this watch was excruciating and it was my most worn of 2015 and has been modded many times since.Still a firm favourite, insane value for money.

Jaeger Le Coultre 6b/159 1943? - A proper WW2 fighter pilots watch with much history, restored for my pleasure not some acne ridden fan boy with an encyclopaedia brain. One of my few vintage grails.

Omega Dynamic late 60s early 70's - My first vintage grail! acquired via a trade deal in London, just a gem of design and forward thinking.

Rado Original Diastar LE 2015 papers but 2012 release - This watch is stunning, tungsten case, vintage NSA bracelet with a spring loaded clasp, raised indices with decent lume but no distracting multi faceted crystal. Came with Rado cufflinks. A firm favourite.

Bulova accutron 'Spaceview' - Made from two knackered and cheap accutrons with missing dials, parts salvaged and serviced to make something better. a cool watch that never works due to its one year long battery life :?

Seiko Lordmatic - an eBay find all the way from Korea. For the price I paid for this this is probably the best quality watch I have ever bought, linen dial, applied numerals, a super thin monocoque case with a hacking, handwing auto movement, beads of rice bracelet with a spring loaded clasp. its heavenly.

Seiko 7625-8033 1968 - My Grandads watch. Recently found a picture of him wearing it and it actually bought a tear to my eye. He was a cool dude.
Not a war hero but did his part and a pillar of the community. He had bone cancer at the end and I helped look after him after my nan passed away and he lost the will to live at that moment but even at the very end he didn't want to go. He led such a good life but I wished his generation never had to give five years of their lives to such hardship. This is watch that started my obsession, used to hunt it down in the cupboards when ever I stayed at my Grandparents house. He stopped wearing this one around the late 80s but it's a vision of dress watch perfection in its design, like a mini GS.

Strela Cosmonaut - 2015. I recently found the papers to this one again and it arrived the same week my son was born. He will inherit it when he hits 21 I hope. Loudest hairspring in the world.

August Raymond Chronograph - I bought this from Stephen Pullvariant of Hodinkee when they hosted a pop up shop in Harrods. They had lots of Heuers and Rolex and I asked to see the cheapest thing they had and he pulled this out. When I payed for it the stupid @*£#ing woman taking the money removed all the NOS purple coatings it has had on it from the factory till that moment. A good 50 @?£%ing years!

Bremont Alt1-z 2016. My current favorite watch, gets so much wear. I dont like big fat watches but it's hard to turn down a 7750. Seems to have a very long power reserve.

Omega Speedmaster 2011 - modified it with a rare pulseometer bezel which will likely become unobtainable in the near future. The speedy is one of the two most iconic watches ever made but it's often pain in the butt to wind with its silly small crown. Rubbish clasp on the bracelet. Soft as cheese metal. Iconic though.

Seiko 7a28-7020 1983 - A view to a kill. Birth year watch matched with James Bond. It's nice but I rarely wear it, worth selling at today's prices - seven times what I payed for it, Hipsters are nuts.

This doesn't really represent how the collection will look at the end of 2018. It will be more streamlined and hopefully a bit smaller.

To sell will likely be:

Bremont MBII white
Sinn U1
Jlc 6b/159
Seiko Lordmatic
ARSA chronograph
Seiko 7a28-7020

So a pretty big list but a lot of money there that can be freed up for other things. Like last year. And the year before that and on and on it goes. #-o =; let me out of here! The sad fact is I think I've been doing this so long and modern designs have got so ugly I may well be circling watches that Ive owned and sold before.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: DANCEMATT - SOTC 2018, 10 years a slave

Post by Thermexman »

Great read. Thanks for posting. I love the Lordmatic & the 7a28. The Lordmatic is gorgeous in its simplicity!
Steve.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

You have some lovely watches there. The Omegas are fantastic, the ARSA. I also really like your grandad's Seiko - both the watch and your story of it.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Great collection and great variety as well. Not the usual suspects which is to be admired.
for me the dynamic and the jlc are the standout pieces with the omega just having the edge. Still looks great.
Cheers now, Paul
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Interesting write up of an excellent varied collection, that has managed to steer clear of any of the usual suspects, except the Speedmaster. :thumbup:

My favourites are the MBII (have come close to buying one many times, with the white dial, blue barrel being the pick for me), the JLC and the Seiko 7a28-7020.

Will be interesting to see how far you get in the plan to reduce the collection in 2018.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

You're obviously very much your 'own man' DM and that's reflected in your remarkable collection.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

:thumbup: Excellent collection. Particularly attracted to the Spaceview and the Dynamic.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

A fine varied collection .I wouldn't mind any of them watches in my own collection . The Seiko's and the Omega dynamic really stand out for me . Thanks for posting DM .
Bernie
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

You have more watches than are usually seen in the WOTD threads. I do like the bullseye Dynamic and the subtly modded Speedy, and the JLC is nice, small perhaps, but the bund helps with that. I still like the Rado, even though every one of that style I've ever owned was sold off quickly. I guess they look good on other people's wrists, just not on mine...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
downer

Post by downer »

Good to see this collection - with some interesting observations about each watch. I like the white MBII, although every time I think about (re)buying an MBII I reckon I'd choose black.

Where is the wedding watch?
Richard
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

downer wrote:Good to see this collection - with some interesting observations about each watch. I like the white MBII, although every time I think about (re)buying an MBII I reckon I'd choose black.

Where is the wedding watch?
Yes I have left a couple out. I have been trying to get this sotc done since early December but had a lot on my plate. Was going to show the rest in a group photo and then do the animals later but having been called a troll 3 times for no reason in two days for one joke and two questions in other forums. I'm going to lay off any Internet commentary for a fair old while.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
downer

Post by downer »

^^^ That's a pity.
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A terrific collection and, as scooter says, very individual and very you! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Dancematt wrote: Was going to show the rest in a group photo and then do the animals later but having been called a troll 3 times for no reason in two days for one joke and two questions in other forums. I'm going to lay off any Internet commentary for a fair old while.
I don't think you need to worry about that round here, normally fairly safe to express an opinion.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Very nice collection. The stand out piece for me is the Seiko 7a28-7020 1983. I also like the Speedmaster and the two Bremonts :clap:
Dean