SOTC SimonCB April '19

Proudly display your current State Of The Collection
Forum rules
Here you may post and share your State of The Collection (SOTC).
Please title your post with Your Forum name and date such as Kip - July 2014
If you wish to update your collection, please start a new topic following the same format. That will insure that your current SOTC will be at the top.
This area is for SOTC threads only. All others will be moved or deleted.
SimonCB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

SOTC SimonCB April '19

Post by SimonCB »

Afternoon all. I'm very much a newbie to all things CW, there are many acronyms and the like to digest, but it's all good and I'm very happy to say I'm a big fan of my Trident Diver. Very nice it is!

Anyway, someone mentioned the State of the Collection part of the forum, so I might as well show some of my collection. I first got into proper watches almost twenty years ago with the Omega Seamaster. After that I discovered DOXAs, and the 600T Professional has probably had the most wrist time.

The Longines and the Junkers just really appealed to me, though the Junkers' rotor doesn't half make a racket when spinning. Sounds like a ball bearing in an empty baked bean can.

And then of course there's the old Timex. My first watch, and old man has been looking after it for me for years. I was rather surprised to see it again, TBH.

Anyway, that's mainly it. There's a few others floating around but it'll do for now. Cheers

Simon
image.jpeg
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: SOTC SimonCB April '19

Post by Thermexman »

Nice display there Simon. I particularly like the Doxas, the Longines and the CW.
Steve.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

Nice collection. Well rounded.

@robotazky
SimonCB
Junior
Junior

Post by SimonCB »

Cheers Steve, I like 'em too. As I've got older I've come to appreciate the smaller (one could say more exclusive) watch manufacturers. There's something satisfying about having a watch that no one else has, or has even heard of (though one of my brothers, who does like a good watch, is aware of CW and will be tempted when he sees mine).

I can see my progression through watch ownership, and the C65 Diver fits in very nicely with my collection. And it is accurate, which is a plus. I'm going for the 12 winds in the morning and 12 in the evening. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it's got to be done.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That is a great collection, I like the Doxas, the SMP, LLD, C65...in fact I'd be happy wearing any of them. Even the humble Timex has a certain charm.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
SimonCB
Junior
Junior

Post by SimonCB »

Thank you, Patrick. Yes, that old Timex... it was quite interesting getting that old thing back, the old man had had it/looked after it for maybe 40 years, so it was quite a thing to wear it again. It's charming, it takes me back and I'm very happy it's back with me, but... there are nicer watches to wear.

As it is, I'm trying to be restrained with my watch purchasing these days. I was intrigued by the new offerings from Alsta, they have a certain charm. But the C65 Diver (which I have just wound, btw) does have a certain sturdy je ne sait quois (forgive my spelling, and autocorrect doesn't excel in French), which might explain why it took less than a week from seeing to buying. Good work marketing dept!

I am a photographer by trade, and when I get my studio set up I'll get some decent shots of my Diver, see if there are more potential converts out there...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Really nice bunch there Simon. Whilst mainly divers you have so much variation.

Love the Timex; not seen that sort from them before. Automatic or quartz (I suspect quartz)?

Interesting to see you have the LLD on a NATO that is one size smaller than it ought to be; gives the case / strap a better balanced look.

Doxas are iconic.

You mention the re-released Alstas. Have you seen that another 'vintage diver' brand, Yema, is now available in UK?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Very nice collection. Thanks for posting. I am a fan of the Junkers style as well.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
SimonCB
Junior
Junior

Post by SimonCB »

Hey there Kip and Guy, thanks for your comments.

It does look like I like a diver. I have done a bit of diving, though not much of late. The orange DOXA 600T Pro is the one that's seen most underwater action.

The Timex is actually a hand winding variety, and is still ticking! I took it to a local jewellers to see if they would/could service it, and they said parts for it were unavailable, and that Timex watches of that era were almost designed to be disposable. It breaks, get a new one. Well, it still works so hopefully we'll be alright.

And thanks for the heads-up about Yema, Guy. I'd never heard of them. I've looked at their website and they have some nice stuff. I don't want to look too closely as I can be susceptible to GAS (a photographer's weakness that is Gear Aquisition Syndrme, which would probably transfer to watch appreciation all too easily).

As for the Alsta... I like the look of their watch, but it seems a lot of money for something that doesn't feel as refined as, let's say, the C65 Diver. I'm sure it's fabulous, but my CW is just more fabulous!
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

A great collection Simon :clap:
Love the Doxa's, ever since reading Clive Cussler books with Dirk Pitt wearing one 8)
SimonCB
Junior
Junior

Post by SimonCB »

Cheers MiniMpi, yes, same here. I am/was a big fan of Cussler's book, especially his earlier stuff. The more recent stuff has actually been a bit painful to read, you feel someone should suggest to the old fellow that the time has come to move on to something else.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Very nice collection Simon :thumbup:
The SMP is an absolute classic in my book - great watch.
Also drawn towards the Longines and absolutely fascinated by the Timex.
SimonCB
Junior
Junior

Post by SimonCB »

E0AE449D-4558-44B2-A5E7-31BFBE4968AA.jpeg
Thanks StrapMeister, I’m trying to keep the collection relatively small, so it shows how tempting the CW Diver was for me to get it (or how susceptible I am to a good ad on FB).

As for the Timex... it’s a fabulous old thing, isn’t it. I had it as a child and recently rediscovered it. Quite fun to see if again after many decades. I don’t really know much about it, but I’ll try to do some research and report back.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I’ll try to do some research and report back.
Here's a good start: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget_Wa ... date_codes
Managed to ascertain that the numbers at 6 (27671 02577) equate to the following:
Catalogue number 27671, movement 025, year 1977
The model seems as if it could be a Marlin.
SimonCB
Junior
Junior

Post by SimonCB »

StrapMeister wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:12 pm
I’ll try to do some research and report back.
Here's a good start: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Budget_Wa ... date_codes
Managed to ascertain that the numbers at 6 (27671 02577) equate to the following:
Catalogue number 27671, movement 025, year 1977
The model seems as if it could be a Marlin.
Well spotted there, StrapMeister! Thanks for that, I honestly never knew what those (tiny) digits represented.