rodania watch mystery

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
JCK

rodania watch mystery

Post by JCK »

Greetings, I'm by no means a collector but recently re-discovered a watch I'd inherited from a Belgian Uncle (it had been put safely in a box during a house move then was lost to the attic). I've been researching it a bit and found some useful gen on this forum so thought I'd try my luck and see if anyone can supply any additional info about the piece. It has a serial number but doesn't have any kind of model number / name. All help gratefully received, meanwhile I'm trying to avoid too many posts as I'm starting to catch the bug...
Mystery Rodania.JPG
Mystery Rodania
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: rodania watch mystery

Post by 0uatiOW »

Not heard of the brand, but looks like a 1960s vintage. Difficult to tell any more without seeing more / inside. That period was rife with small companies selling simple 3-handers with stock movements. There was a proliferation of interesting timepieces which were essentially identical inside.

Looks like pretty good condition. Any clues on the caseback? Have you opened it and inspected the movement?
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
JCK

Post by JCK »

Hi, thanks for replying. No, back has a serial number and various notes about unbreakable springs and being water resistant. I'll have a look at home tonight, and maybe crack the case open. If you're not familiar with Rodania there's a really nice history on the forum here:

https://www.christopherwardforum.com/vi ... ia#p527280
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Quite a well known and respected smaller company.

Although it is based in Grenchen (nowhere near the river) I suspect that the name may have been coined from the river Rhône (Rhodanus in Latin, Rodano in Italian).
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)