Vintage watch of the day (30 years+)

A place to show and discuss your vintage watches
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Vintage watch of the day (30 years+)

Post by sinner777 »

watchaholic wrote:
Wolfman53 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:44 pm My Father's Accurist which I inherited a few years ago. It has been left in a drawer for 25 years but I recently decided it was time to spend some money on it and get it repaired and restored. The crown is missing and the movement needs a lot of attention! The watch is of little monetary value but obviously has sentimental value. I have been told that it dates from the early 50's or possibly late 40's but shout up if anybody disagrees. I intend to put it on a Hirsch Regent when I get it back (assuming it is repairable)Image

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I will pose a question I have had for some time concerning these older pieces with "antimagnetic" script on the dial. In today's world that would be sure to mean silicon escapement parts. Is it safe to assume that a watch of this age would have a soft iron faraday cage incorporated into the case?
That is a GREAT looking piece. May I ask the diameter? Really like the soldered lugs. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate a moment to get her up and running. We will be waiting for more pics. :clap:
It was more of a marketing gimmick due to more and more electric machines that appeared in everyday surrounding.

It denoted mainspring made of non magnetic alloy. It was far from today's definition of antimagnetic watch..

Took this goldie for a ride..

ImageImage
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

Junghans "genta" style today...

Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

Called the watch repairer this week and was told that he couldn't do anything with it. Broken stem, cog wheel, jewel amongst other things! No idea how it came to be in such a state but the repairer has offered to speak to somebody he knows to see if he has a spare movement. Obviously not worth it financially and not sure it can be thought of as the same watch if it has a new movement?

watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Wolfman53 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:35 pm Called the watch repairer this week and was told that he couldn't do anything with it. Broken stem, cog wheel, jewel amongst other things! No idea how it came to be in such a state but the repairer has offered to speak to somebody he knows to see if he has a spare movement. Obviously not worth it financially and not sure it can be thought of as the same watch if it has a new movement?

Sorry to hear your bad news. Tough call on replacing the movement. Suppose it all depends on how closely tied you are to it. If seeing it brings back fond memories then a new movement is no different than replacing an engine in a car.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

watchaholic wrote:
Wolfman53 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:35 pm Called the watch repairer this week and was told that he couldn't do anything with it. Broken stem, cog wheel, jewel amongst other things! No idea how it came to be in such a state but the repairer has offered to speak to somebody he knows to see if he has a spare movement. Obviously not worth it financially and not sure it can be thought of as the same watch if it has a new movement?

Sorry to hear your bad news. Tough call on replacing the movement. Suppose it all depends on how closely tied you are to it. If seeing it brings back fond memories then a new movement is no different than replacing an engine in a car.
Thanks.
Yes quite disappointing, but I will see if a new movement is available and what the cost would be.
If the answer is no or if it is very expensive I may look at getting a vintage Omega.
Maybe something from my birth year (1960).

MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Rolex 'Tank' for this evening.

0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Wolfman53 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:48 am I also have a Summit watch presented to Dad for 25 years service at the Steelworks. The case back is stamped with his name and the British Steel logo.
Not sure of age but either late 70's or early 80's.Image

From the case shape, the handset and the smooth sunburst dial I’m thinking that Summit looks more 1960’s than late 1970’s. Is there a clue on the engraving, or did your Dad’s 25 years service fall in the 1970s?
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

Genève.jpg
This used to be my grandad's.
It's had a handful of services, a new mainspring, and a new crystal (which is definitely not sapphire crystal), and the second hand isn't standard issue either. Around 4 seconds a day fast, which is nothing to be sneezed at for a watch this old.

I like it a lot.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

peterh wrote:
Genève.jpg
This used to be my grandad's.
It's had a handful of services, a new mainspring, and a new crystal (which is definitely not sapphire crystal), and the second hand isn't standard issue either. Around 4 seconds a day fast, which is nothing to be sneezed at for a watch this old.

I like it a lot.
That's a beauty! I have been looking at Omega Constellation Pie Pans for a while and may buy one if the Accurist isn't repairable.
Mind you I have read so much about the pitfalls of buying vintage Omega it is very scary. Watches that have been moded with non original parts etc. I am beginning to wonder if it is worth the risk!

peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

Wolfman53 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:23 amThat's a beauty!
Yes, apart from the sentimental value, I find it really charming.
I even have the original Omega strap it came on, but the strap on the picture is a generic Hirsch strap, as I want the original strap to remain as nice as it is.
I have been looking at Omega Constellation Pie Pans for a while and may buy one if the Accurist isn't repairable.
Mind you I have read so much about the pitfalls of buying vintage Omega it is very scary. Watches that have been moded with non original parts etc. I am beginning to wonder if it is worth the risk!
Well, here's the thing:
If a watch lives as long as this one, or the Pie Pan, it's almost bound to have some non-standard parts. The second hand on mine was almost certainly replaced by my grandfather himself. In those days, watchmakers probably didn't care much to keep their own watch in "original condition", it should just work, and he may even have liked the red second hand. It gives the watch its own character.

Back in the days when the Kingfisher was hot, Chris played with the idea to make the pointy end of the second hand look like a diving Kingfisher. If he would have made those, I would have snapped one up and replace the original second hand of my Forum LE Kingfisher without thinking twice.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

MiniMpi wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:13 pm Rolex 'Tank' for this evening.
Oh man... if that isn't vintage, I don't know what is! I'm not a fan of rectangular watches, but this is something else...
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

peterh wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:06 pm
MiniMpi wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:13 pm Rolex 'Tank' for this evening.
Oh man... if that isn't vintage, I don't know what is! I'm not a fan of rectangular watches, but this is something else...
Thank you Peter.
It's from 1934 and was my Grand Uncle's watch which the family inherited recently and I sent off to get sympathetically restored and got Steveostraps to do a strap for me.

I love your Grandad's old Omega, very cool to still have these in our families.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

My seventies Renis. The 34-35mm case always seemed too small until I put it on a Steveo bund. Problem fixed (in my mind at any rate).

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by MiniMpi »

Rolex 'Tank' for this evening.Image
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

My two inherited vintage watches just back from the watch repairer. Both fitted to new Hirsch Regent Alligator straps.
The Accurist has had a replacement movement and crown fitted and the Summit has had a second hand fitted and a service.Image