The fifth forum Limited Edition
Sold out
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: 2013 FLE Progress Report #19 Summary and Evolution

Post by jmarchitect »

I am sitting typing this whilst wearing my 2013FLE and I am still happy with it. I even put it back onto the double roll strap to shake it up a little and I am warming to that.

The galling thing about the FLE process is the massive interest and comment during the process and a distinct lack of enthusiasm when it comes to putting money where ones mouth is. Even at £525 the piece represents excellent value for money given there will only ever be 100 people with the same watch.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Comment & opinions during the process is the lifeblood of the thing. Expecting people to purchase a watch which falls short of their expectations in whatever way is a bit harsh. At least 1 member of the FLEC thinks the current price is too high.
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

MiniMpi wrote:It's definitely a watch that if possible, should be seen first hand.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I agree. I vacillated for a long time before joining the waiting list. When I received it and wore it I was so glad I took the plunge. While I don't wear it often, usually at black tie affairs, it remains in my small collection with pleasure.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jmarchitect wrote:I am sitting typing this whilst wearing my 2013FLE and I am still happy with it. I even put it back onto the double roll strap to shake it up a little and I am warming to that.

The galling thing about the FLE process is the massive interest and comment during the process and a distinct lack of enthusiasm when it comes to putting money where ones mouth is. Even at £525 the piece represents excellent value for money given there will only ever be 100 people with the same watch.
I am also very happy with mine and think it works well with a wide range of straps; currently have it on a brown Hirsch Rivetta.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

highway62 wrote:Comment & opinions during the process is the lifeblood of the thing. Expecting people to purchase a watch which falls short of their expectations in whatever way is a bit harsh. At least 1 member of the FLEC thinks the current price is too high.
No suggestion of people buying something they are unhappy with, more a lament of the number who vote something in being totally different to the number who buy that something. I agree with your earlier point H, in that a FLE of 50 might be a better idea in future.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Fair point. I shut up & didn't vote once it became clear the limited WR was ruling me out.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I believe out of the three choices offered this year, B had the most potential to be something nice. I think it could have been further worked on to improve, perhaps making it racing inspired. As was, with a black leather with red threading, it would have been a very nice sports watch. I did not care for choice A as I felt it was trying be understated but was far too average looking to be an FLE. I thought C was unique but an odd choice for a sports watch and more suited for a vintage-inspired diving watch.

Obviously A won but I still feel the same way I did then. It's a wonderful looking watch but I expected something better for an FLE. It seems many feel the same but I am sure they will all eventually sell. My tip to CW for future FLEs is to produce ones that are very, very different from the normal stock, something that makes you go "Wow!" The 2013 FLE is not a "Wow!" watch, it's just a very nice one. Also, CW needs to be realistic with the demand. A watch like the Scooter or Jaguar is going to sell out quickly and 100 should be the minimum. Why? They are cool, fancy Tridents...that's gold right there. 2013 FLE was a different kind of watch but it still cannot compare. 70 or 80 would have been a better number. Nothing wrong with producing smaller on a less-popular or less-exciting design. If it's an off year, try again next year. No reason to stop all FLEs because CW was off one time with the demand.

As for remaining stock, I could never purchase one knowing I could have gotten it cheaper during the pre-order. That's just me though. I'm a tightwad. :thumbup:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by akirk »

If a vote is available to all on a website it should be expected that a fair % of voters will not be purchasers, but just joining in with the community and taking part in the vote...

the only way of being more accurate would be to tell folks they can only vote if they are prepared to pay the deposit... and then some would note vote as they are not at that stage as they are not seeing a finished product - it is an impossible task!

ultimately like any retail it needs someone with an eye to what will sell to be involved in the decision process - and one assumes that as CWL are taking the commercial risk on it they would veto it if they feel that it wouldn't sell - as they don't ask for a deposit / committment they must surely go into the process with a worst case scenario of no orders - i.e. they have to take a punt based on being able to sell all 100 through their normal channels - it has to be a saleable watch...

I was unsure as to watch / case design / etc. but liked it enough to take a punt on it - the other FLEs all sell well second hand - I am sure that eventually this will join them - though it may take longer... now I have the watch I like it - not perfect, but still lovely

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

I would not have purchased A, B or C, so knowing that I abstained from voting. I saw no point in voting for the one I liked most as I was never going to buy any of them. I did buy the 2012 FLE but then that was around what I thought was a fair price. The original price of the 2013 FLE was too expensive and I suspect that is one reason why it has been a slow seller. Even at a lower price it did not grab me so I would have stayed out, to me it is just an OK looking watch. I was happy to accept the vote of the majority though.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

On applying to join the FLEC, what I really wanted was the watch I have always wanted CW to make, viz. a hand-wound Marine à la C1.
This was perfectly possible given the parameters we offered to the forum. I should have know better. With the open voting it was always going to be a 42mm automatic. The majority get what it votes for - that's democracy and the world is usually better for it.
Once we got to that stage I was reduced to nodding things through and ticking the boxes. The real work was done by others, but it was an interesting experience. The guys did a great job with the constraints the forum placed on us. I was never going to buy the watch after the case and movement polls went through, but I still think it's a nice watch.

My own opinion, FWIW. For any future FLE, Chris and his team should come up with something and say: "here it is - order it or not, as you see fit - 50 firm orders and we'll go ahead and make it."
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by teestech »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:My own opinion, FWIW. For any future FLE, Chris and his team should come up with something and say: "here it is - order it or not, as you see fit - 50 firm orders and we'll go ahead and make it."
To be honest Steve, when I first joined the forum, that's the way I presumed the FLE's were done. I agree it'd make sense.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

But on the other side of the coin are the members that feel it is then not a forum LE. :silent: :?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

Kip wrote:But on the other side of the coin are the members that feel it is then not a forum LE. :silent: :?
I doubt I would have bought in to the 2013 if the forum hadn't had the input it did i.e. if it was just another CWL designed piece; it is almost everything I don't normally go for in a watch :)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Hicksmat »

I've been busy buying micro brands recently. Gerlach, Helberg, Makara etc etc. They all have customer input in their designs and come up with a product largely cheaper than CW albeit with far eastern movements. Some real innovation coming out of these micro bands in terms of style and materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by theaub »

Just checked to see that there are still 36 unsold. Is that unusual for a FLE?