2013 FLE - Movement Type Poll

The fifth forum Limited Edition
Sold out

2013 FLE - Movement Type Poll (please read before voting)

Poll ended at Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:21 am

Quartz
19%
Mechanical
81%

Total votes: 140

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

2013 FLE - Movement Type Poll

Post by Kip »

2013 FLE - Poll #3 - Movement Type

Please read before voting...

We are moving towards the conclusion of the scoping phase for the 2013 FLE. Having had two polls, we are now clear that the forum members have indicated a preference for a sports style watch at the approximate price point of up to GBP 450 / USD 685.

In order to further refine the scope, it is now time to consider the preferred type of movement.

Rather than select specific movements, we have decided to make this a very simple choice between quartz and mechanical movements. This will give sufficient direction for now, and allow as much choice as possible when it comes to the case vote.

As a reminder, in order to confirm the basic requirements of the FLE, we intend to ask the following four questions in sequence....

1. What style of watch do you want (dress, diver, sports, marine, aviator)?
2. What should be the approximate target price?
3. Which movement should we choose?
4. Which existing case should we choose?

This poll is for the third question - movement type.

When we have received the preferences for all four questions, we believe we will have a solid framework for the detailed design work. We will know what sort of watch we are looking for, an approximate price point, and the combination of movement and case we should work with. At this point, we can ask CW to validate our direction - to ensure that we have a feasible and realistic target.

At the selected price point of up to £450, it is clear we will not be able to use a mechanical chronograph, so if your idea of a sports watch includes a chronograph function, you would need to select quartz in this poll.

For mechanical movements, we are still investigating possibilities. We may be able to offer the choice between automatic and manual wind, but if so, that will be the subject of a future poll. This is not only a question of cost, but also of availability and lead-time.

With all the above in mind, this is the third poll. The intention is to determine the preferred type of movement for the 2013 FLE.

Please choose one option. The poll will last for 4 days. You can change your vote at any time until the poll closes.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jackthedog
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: 2013 FLE - Movement Type Poll

Post by jackthedog »

I had to go with mechanical. With the price point in mind and not being a fan of chronos, seemed like the best choice. And I just think mechanicals are cool.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Went for Quartz on the basis of larger choice of watches and a fan of chronographes for sport watches.
But saying that for such an exclusive watch I may have to change this at a later date to automatic.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

I'm okay with either option here with a slight preference for mechanical.

Even though I have the last two FLEs (with the 2009 one coming), I don't think that I'm going to insist on buying every FLE from now on. To me, it's not a crime to skip one, so I'd be more than happy to see a quartz movement used so that a chrono FLE is possible and certain forum members get that itch scratched. There's always 2014, and if for some reason there's not, well then, it was still a good run.

And let's be honest, there's a good chance I'd still buy a quartz FLE anyway. :lol:
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
sratansi
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by sratansi »

i prefer a mechanical if automatic but quartz over manual ....

although i do believethe choices for quartz in general for a sports watch look better
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

As much as I like the movement of a mechanical automatic I've voted Quartz on this one in hope that it gives us the chance of a Chronograph. Ideally I would like to see something with a white face and accents of orange, red or green on a NATO strap but I guess were a good way a way from giving ideas about what were expecting.

Rookie
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

Voted for quartz more in hope than expectation as it would have been nice to see a chronograph FLE but I fully appreciate the majority view of mechanical was always likely to win out. So it's a non chrono sports for £450 +/-.

Best of luck, I will be interested to see what comes about :thumbup:
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

Looking through CWL's offering there is only the C60 in the sports section as an automatic within the price bracket set at £450, so does that mean we are looking at another C60 as the FLE this year?

Rookie
downer

Post by downer »

Rookie1986 wrote:Looking through CWL's offering there is only the C60 in the sports section as an automatic within the price bracket set at £450, so does that mean we are looking at another C60 as the FLE this year?

Rookie
No, it does not. :)

Firstly, the CW definition of 'sports' is just one interpretation. As an example, plenty of people would see the C20 as a sports watch, but CW list it as classic/dress..

Secondly, we have the opportunity to alter the look and feel of existing watches, and we firmly believe we could achieve a 'sports style' watch using several other cases in the CW range. Once we have a firm steer on the 'quartz' or 'mechanical' question, we will make the poll asking which case to use... For sure, there will be more choice than only the C60....
Richard
highway62

Post by highway62 »

I suppose this question did have to be asked but it has to be the most predictable answer ever. :lol:
Rookie1986
Expert
Expert

Post by Rookie1986 »

I know the thread doesn't cover this but what prices are we talking for the different types of movements? Just that might give people an idea of exactly how much after the movement we are going to have left to spend on the other components in the watch and ensure that we don't out price ourselves or get peoples hopes up thinking they are going to get something that our budget just cant afford.

Rookie
Pip
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Pip »

Hehe, very predictable answer....! Personally I voted quartz in the hope of a chrono, but I can see how this one os going to end!
Omega Constellation Megaquartz, and various other quartz...
CW: C60 Trident, C60 GMT, C9 2011 FLE, C70MC, Makaira Pro 500, C7 Mk2
Other: Seiko 5, Mondaine Retro Automatic, Smiths Military
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

Voted mechanical simply because it seems likely that given the price point it would result in a simpler and cleaner end design. Chronos look cool, but unless I had a specific need for the functionality I wouldn't wear one...

--
Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
downer

Post by downer »

Rookie1986 wrote:I know the thread doesn't cover this but what prices are we talking for the different types of movements? Just that might give people an idea of exactly how much after the movement we are going to have left to spend on the other components in the watch and ensure that we don't out price ourselves or get peoples hopes up thinking they are going to get something that our budget just cant afford.

Rookie
The price guides shown in the pricing poll give strong hints about what is affordable within the selected price category.

The choice of case (in the next poll) will help us to determine the short-list of potential movements.
Richard
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

A special watch needs to be mechanical for me, though I am not one of those quartz haters.
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).