Formal Straps?

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Formal Straps?

Post by Leon O »

There are lots of threads and discussions about formal watches, but I have not seen any about the straps that should go with formal watches.

How would you describe a formal strap?

Thanks
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Formal Straps?

Post by jkbarnes »

Leon O wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:02 am There are lots of threads and discussions about formal watches, but I have not seen any about the straps that should go with formal watches.

How would you describe a formal strap?

Thanks
I equate a formal strap with shiny and/or embossed leather, and on the thinner side.
Drew
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

Im not sure there is such a thing now per se, if pressed I would say leather or similar, slimmer in keeping with a non sport watch and maybe embossed/textured or with a satin/gloss sheen (actually what jkbarnes said above).
I think its more about the watch than the strap though. My 'dressier' ie non sport watches, though not always worn at a formal occasion have been primarily on high quality leather, or genuine croc/alligator. I also think a slim/fine Milanese can look right in a formal setting.

All that said, i wear what takes my fancy now whatever the occasion (ok, maybe not neon orange/yellow at a funeral or black tie).
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I’d agree with Andrew/Stephen, I’d associate leather with a dress watch. Think of a classic dress watch such as AVO’s Cartier on a dark leather (or croc/alig) strap.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I've nothing really to add to the comments above, other than to say that anyone's whose attention to detail is such that they consider which watch strap is appropriate for a formal occasion is sure to be well turned out.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:34 am I’d agree with Andrew/Stephen, I’d associate leather with a dress watch. Think of a classic dress watch such as AVO’s Cartier on a dark leather (or croc/alig) strap.
You rang, my Lord? I’ll let you into a secret – I hate formal occasions and dressing up for them. At work I got away with coloured shirts and linen jackets. That gives you a lot of freedom when it comes to accessories such as watches. I do have a dark suit and a couple of white shirts with double cuffs as well as black tie rig, but the occasions for wearing them are extremely rare these days. Thankfully!

Interestingly, the last few funerals I have been to (and I don’t make a habit of them but they happen) emphasised either casual dress or no black ties. At my own mother’s funeral I asked everyone to wear at least one bright thing because I knew how much she hated funereal black. She had actually talked to her best friend about it before she passed away. If you had told me a decade earlier that I would go to my mother’s funeral with a yellow tie, pocket handkerchief and socks I think my jaw would have hit the floor.

So, all this by way of saying that I think the boundaries have become and are still becoming more and more blurred.

Anyway, the Tank on black alligator. Yes, indeed. I call this my go to dress watch, but in fact it covers a lot of bases. If I do wear a suit I put it on pretty automatically, but it’s also great for “business casual”, something like a nice restaurant, or even just with T-shirt and jeans because you feel like it. Because of the low WR it doesn’t go gardening, car washing, yomping, camping or anywhere near a beach or pool. But for a smart function you can relax in the knowledge that it will look right. And anyone who studies wrist wear will be suitably impressed.

7BD722DD-157C-48E7-9884-97B0B327CCF5.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Only one word for that watch - superb

Very envious
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:56 am
Thegreyman wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:34 am I’d agree with Andrew/Stephen, I’d associate leather with a dress watch. Think of a classic dress watch such as AVO’s Cartier on a dark leather (or croc/alig) strap.
You rang, my Lord?...
Slightly off topic...

I find a Cartier Tank so elegant and so sophisticated that I almost think there ought to be a gentlemen's test of sorts one has to pass to be able to buy one! It's like one must be worthy of a Tank in order to buy a Tank.

exHowfener wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:23 am I've nothing really to add to the comments above, other than to say that anyone's whose attention to detail is such that they consider which watch strap is appropriate for a formal occasion is sure to be well turned out.
Spot on comment! :clap:
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

TheBeatles wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 am Only one word for that watch - superb

Very envious
Thank you, Brian.

Isn’t it fascinating? The forum in general (and not just this forum) is relatively quiet about Cartier as a brand. People seem to admire the watches but somehow, even if they fall within stated budgets, many appear to be unwilling to take the plunge and will opt for something “safer”. When I first got mine there were a lot of comments like “Beautiful watch, but I could never pull it off!”.*** Actually, all you need is a wrist (or two).

I’ve been fascinated to see the reaction since we’ve had the two topics from Gary and Neil.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54730

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54753

*** See what I mean? :lol:
jkbarnes wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:40 pm Slightly off topic...

I find a Cartier Tank so elegant and so sophisticated that I almost think there ought to be a gentlemen's test of sorts one has to pass to be able to buy one! It's like one must be worthy of a Tank in order to buy a Tank.
:clap: :clap:

With respect, Andrew, no. All you need is enough notes in the bank or on your card, access to an AD and a desire for one. It’s not the MCC or the Athenaeum. And it is very unlikely that you will have to join a waiting list of Rolician proportions. :D
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I like the one in the picture, but I'm not really keen on Roman numerals.

It's always a good sort of trick.question - without looking, how many numbers do you have on your watch?
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ Twelve. Eleven hours plus the date.

Individual visible characters, 27 or 28 depending on whether the date is single or double digit.
Steve

Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

The Cartier Tank screams Class.

I'm leaning towards genuine alligator in black to match my C5 595.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Leon O wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:02 pm The Cartier Tank screams Class.

I'm leaning towards genuine alligator in black to match my C5 595.
I'm not sure you can better CWs shell cordovan with Bader clasp on the 595, or any of their dress range.

Happy to be proven wrong :D
Ryan
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^ I doubt you will be proven wrong.

The CW cordovan straps both look good and wear well on the bader clasp, and also look like they will last a long while. I can't believe any big name watch or strap maker will do much better at any price.
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

This is now my dress/formal watch and strap... C5 MMXV FLE on a black alligator pattern leather strap with Bader clasp :thumbup:

C5_MMXV_FLE_Wrist_Black_Alligator.jpg
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King