Protecting Stainless Bracelets

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Protecting Stainless Bracelets

Post by richtel »

OK, here's a topic which divides opinion- protecting bracelets from damage. In particular the clasp which attracts the brunt of desk diving damage.

There seem to be two camps- those who feel that after spending their hard-earned on a new watch want to maintain it as good looking as they can and don't relish the prospect of damaging marks, dings and scratches. In another camp, in a distant galaxy far far away, are those who really don't care, see damage as a patina that demonstrates that the watch is being used as intended and ridicule those who feel anguish when the watch takes a scar.

This post isn't about that. My take on it is that if there was a way to prevent damage in the first place without looking out-of-place, let's investigate that.

Here's what I'm trying. In the vehicle and boat worlds there are products intended to protect paintwork from damage by scratches and stonechips applied as a layer over the paint. One such is 3M Ventureshield- a flexible urethane film only 210 microns thick which can be easily applied, trimmed and, if needed, removed.

I'm trying it out first on my Seamaster- the bracelet clasp is a relatively flat surface (not stepped like a Rolex or CW Trident mk3 clasps)- and as a new watch the bracelet is pristine to start with. I'm also trying it on my Trident C60 mk2 but I've needed to rebrush the surface to a good standard to start. I first cut the film to size using a craft/paper guillotine to ensure parallel sides and roughly the right length. The film is applied with water like a transfer so position can be adjusted (within reason) before 'squeegy-ing' out the excess water. The ends are then trimmed with a scalpel.

The result is a virtually invisible film. You can feel it for sure- it is a relatively soft plastic, and it changes the relflectivity of the original brushed surface (more of a sheen than the brushed steel) but otherwise it's not easy to spot- it certainly isn't noticeable unless you're looking for it. It is water resistant, non-yellowing and can be removed without leaving a residue.

In the month or so I've been testing it, all seems good. The film 'self-heals' if dinged and seems so far to shrug off usual desk-diving scratches. So far, so good.

IMG_3534.jpg
IMG_3540.jpg
IMG_3542.jpg
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Protecting Stainless Bracelets

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Brilliant idea Rich, which clearly works. Top notch.

About as novel as your caseback shim to counter the lack of suitable adjustment in bracelet links.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Very cool, like Paint Protection Film the pro detailers apply to cars. Might give it a go myself...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Great idea, we put glass protective covers on our phone screens too. It seems such a simple but brilliant solution.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

That looks great. How long do you think it might last before you have to replace it?
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:47 pm That looks great. How long do you think it might last before you have to replace it?
Good question! I don't know!

When applied to cars it's reckoned to last for years. I think the weak point will be the edges of the film with constant 'scuffing' will start to lift the edges over time. Once there's a little gap then the void will be filled with dust and quickly look unsightly.

Reapplying wouldn't be too much of a hardship though- cut to size, apply and trim. Twenty minutes? Also for a tenner or so you get enough film for dozens!
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Great post! I have seen similar pre cut products for sale on Ebay, but at ridiculous prices. As much as I love my Datejust, I have pretty much quit wearing it to work because of the scratches accumulating on the clasp. I have had success polishing them out with a Dremmel and .25 micron diamond paste, but it is time consuming. Now that I have the name of a product I will certainly be giving this a try. Thanks again! :clap: :thumbup:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Does seem like a good idea, particularly if the clasp has PCLs :thumbup:

Off to google the stuff you used.

I have seen someone else use a phone protective screen, but it seemed a bit thick. Another suggestion was clear nail varnish.

I do though think there are three camps - as with many things, being in the centre, is another option. I.e. do care and manage to wear a watch, without the bracelet or case looking like It has been used for banging in nails. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

There was an interesting thread here a few years ago about skin allergy or reaction to the backplate of a watch (the thread was called ‘Strange!?!? Help Needed’ since i’m struggling to figure out how to link to it directly!).

I wondered if this film might help? I guess it might be hard to get an acceptable result - especially on deeply etched back plates. But if an allergy was stopping me from wearing a watch I love I think i’d give it a try.
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

missF wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:48 pm There was an interesting thread here a few years ago about skin allergy or reaction to the backplate of a watch (the thread was called ‘Strange!?!? Help Needed’ since i’m struggling to figure out how to link to it directly!).
Here it is viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40773&p=596521&hili ... ge#p596521
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

I think the idea has some merit but I'll be honest, I can't think of doing anything worse to a watch.

Do you take the film off once it's got scratches on it and replace it? If so then it would be relentless. If not, then you're as well just leaving it without and enjoying the watch as intended. I see people looking at their phones through scratched up screen protectors and it's madness. They get sold on phone with an "amazing screen" and then cover it up with plastic and watch films through scratches and bubbles.

I don't see the point in preserving something as new for the next guy when I could be enjoying it for myself instead.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Bungle-ator wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:21 pm I think the idea has some merit but I'll be honest, I can't think of doing anything worse to a watch.

Do you take the film off once it's got scratches on it and replace it? If so then it would be relentless. If not, then you're as well just leaving it without and enjoying the watch as intended. I see people looking at their phones through scratched up screen protectors and it's madness. They get sold on phone with an "amazing screen" and then cover it up with plastic and watch films through scratches and bubbles.

I don't see the point in preserving something as new for the next guy when I could be enjoying it for myself instead.
If you put a screen protector on a phone, it will often prevent you smashing the screen if you drop it (the screen protector smashes instead) then you fit another. The screen protectors are very thin glass and you don't generally notice them and they don't interfere with the enjoyment of the phone. Yes if they get scratched then you replace them. So you prevent damage and of course the by-product is that if you sell, you have a better resale value.

The same can apply for the example of the bracelet clasp. You hardly really notice the film has been fitted, you get to enjoy wearing your watch with an undamaged clasp and if and when you sell, the residual is a bit better, win win.

I don't really see a downside.
Patrick

Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:35 pm
Bungle-ator wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:21 pm I think the idea has some merit but I'll be honest, I can't think of doing anything worse to a watch.

If you put a screen protector on a phone, it will often prevent you smashing the screen if you drop it (the screen protector smashes instead) then you fit another. The screen protectors are very thin glass and you don't generally notice them and they don't interfere with the enjoyment of the phone. Yes if they get scratched then you replace them. So you prevent damage and of course the by-product is that if you sell, you have a better resale value.

The same can apply for the example of the bracelet clasp. You hardly really notice the film has been fitted, you get to enjoy wearing your watch with an undamaged clasp and if and when you sell, the residual is a bit better, win win.

I don't really see a downside.
I once seen a phone drop and the screen broke whilst the glass protector stayed intact :lol:

The downsides for me are that it's not the finish that was intended on the watch in the first place and I can see it's been applied. I'm not going to notice it on someone else's watch but I wouldn't notice scuffs/scratches on the clasp either. I would notice it on mine everyday and it would irritate the life out of me.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Fair enough, each to our own :thumbup:
Patrick

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I must admit, I am in the “Watches Are For Wearing” camp. The odd ding on a bezel or desk diving mark on the clasp is all part of life’s rich tapestry, and in the case of the latter they can be brushed out anyway.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)