The search for a strap for my C60 bronze.

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

The search for a strap for my C60 bronze.

Post by Paul Drawmer »

I have been a "1 watch guy" for sometime now, wearing my Trident bronze every day for a couple of years or so. BUT I have been constantly on the look out for the 'perfect' strap.

It's bronze - so a bracelet is out. Even if they did do a bronze bracelet it would be too heavy and make my wrist green!
I don't 'get' nato type straps, and in any case the watch needs a supportive strap as the head is quite heavy.

It's got a patina, it's always going to look somewhat scruffy - I want a strap that compliments the 'old sea dog' look.

Originally it came on the early 'blue' canvas. That wasn't blue, more a sort of dirty grey really, and it got shabby VERY quickly.
IMG_0475.JPG
I had a CW leather on a Bader clasp that was doing nothing. But it was too dressy
IMG_0462.JPG
So I tried home brew distressing - but over did it, and didn't look as if it belonged to the watch. But I could keep the Bader deployant.
crownquarter.JPG
Then I found a compromise - this is the 'ballistic nylon' for a C1000 Typhoon. Looks 'OK' but not quite the right colour, and cant use either the bader or the bronze clasp as the strap doesn't taper. After using this for a couple of years- this has started to get furry where it's pulled through the clasp each day.
nylon strap.JPG
And on to today. Advertised on Amazon as suede - it isn't, but it's unbranded waxed leather. I think it works with the bronze watch well. And it's comfortable with the Bader clasp. The clasp end was slightly short which has pulled the bader slightly round the wrist, but that means that I can have have it slightly loose, and the watch doesn't rotate in wearing. All good so far!
waxed leather.JPG
Actually the leather looks more realistic in the video below
[youtube]http://youtu.be/kD3ixD0ov8k[/youtube]
There's always time for one more.
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: The search for a strap for my C60 bronze.

Post by oberonfoto »

Got my Bronze GMT on a bund strap just now but ha e a couple of “coffee” coloured ones and a couple of distressed brown leather ones as well.
81A03267-95B3-4A40-823B-1DC91FBE309E.jpeg
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Love the look of that burgundy soft leather. Not a fan of the bund thing, and you have to get a couple of bronze rivets!
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Glad you’ve found another great strap to keep wearing your C60 on, I think the one you’ve decided on is perfect. I think the dial colour of the C60 bronze is lovely, and I think it’s just as important that the strap colour and texture looks good with the dial too.

I think you should consider buying a couple more of the same strap!! :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

I’m looking for a bund with bronze rivets but like the 💩 of a rocking horse they are rather rare. But I’m sure that someone out there makes them.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I agree with your impressions of the CW canvas strap, it not blue and not that well made in my opinion - very flimsy keepers which seems to be the style of recent CW straps I’ve seen.

I went for a vintage leather strap from Mansarea:

It’s a lovely subtle leather and the muted stitching colour feels very appropriate for the watch.

For the summer ( :ka: ) it’s currently on a Barton blue elite silicon which is an almost perfect colour match for the dial.

Both are on bronze buckles. The CW original on the leather and an eBay one for the rubber.
Tim
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Mansarea vintage leather - I'm off to look!

Having been back using the Bader deployant for a couple of days - I really do prefer it to a buckle, but that doesn't look too thick.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

^^^
I got a grey vintage strap from mansarea and the leather is soft and ageing beautifully :thumbup:
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
CW_2020
CW-watches: 1

Post by CW_2020 »

oberonfoto wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:57 pm I’m looking for a bund with bronze rivets but like the 💩 of a rocking horse they are rather rare. But I’m sure that someone out there makes them.
Recommend the below, every aspect fully customizable to include rivets:

https://gunny-store.com/gunny-straps/monster-bund
or
https://gunny-store.com/gunny-straps/blackbay-bund

I have one and am very happy with the quality.

-Larry
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

My cw strap on the bronze c60 is also suffering, showing grime and fraying. Disappointing really.
That vintage leather does look good, might just have to try one.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

^^^ The Mansarea website is not the easiest to find things on as they often have many subtle variations on the same straps. Link to the one I bought at €45 incl. postage: https://mansarea.com/en/shop-catalog/wa ... w-brown-ii
Tim
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Been mentioned before, but Colareb have some lovely distressed straps such as the Roma below. Also tapered and not overly thick. See here

Ryan
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

timor54 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 pm ^^^ The Mansarea website is not the easiest to find things on as they often have many subtle variations on the same straps. Link to the one I bought at €45 incl. postage: https://mansarea.com/en/shop-catalog/wa ... w-brown-ii
Thanks, one ordered.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

I know you're not interested in a nato but how about a two-part nato? I bought this one from yellowdog straps of East Mersea especially for the watch that's wearing it: I've had full NATOS in this antique Italian leather and know I like it. Stitch colours, metalwork finishes are both free choice.

In recent years yellowdog has reduced his range of materials which, sadly, means I spend less money with him.

Anyway, I know it would be my choice, with bronze rings and maybe blue stitches.
tmp-cam-7481537567826406166.jpg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Paul Drawmer »

The leather finish on the yellowdog is spot on. However...having got back to using a Bader, I'm not going back to a buckle now.

Before I took to wearing just the one watch, most of my watches were changed over to Bader deployants - I luv 'em!