Any tips for removing a bracelet?

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Any tips for removing a bracelet?

Post by jkbarnes »

I've had my C65 Trident Vintage on a bracelet for about a year now, and feel like putting it back on a strap. However, I'm having real trouble getting the bracelet off! Any tips? I've got a pair of springboard pliers, although admittedly, they're on the cheap side.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Any tips for removing a bracelet?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Definitely trickier than straps! The difference being that you can compress a strap to some extent, and pushing down on it will free it once the spring bar is out of the hole. With a bracelet, the best way I can explain it is that you have to use a finger and thumb to pull the bracelet out straight from the lugs, not downwards, while at the same time trying to release the spring bar with the other hand.

Mind you, that is easier than getting the damned things back on again! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:34 pm Mind you, that is easier than getting the damned things back on again! :lol:
That’s one of the reasons it’s stayed on the bracelet so long! After finally getting the damn think on initially, I thought to myself, “well, I’m not going through that again!” The other reason? It’s just such a wonderful bracelet! I stop to admire it every single time I put the watch on.

But I do miss my straps...
Drew
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Here you go, concentrated wisdom:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=50289

BTW cheapo spring bar pliers are pretty much useless because the tips are rubbish. Solution is to replace with Bergeon tips.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/bergeon-6825

Have fun!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

I bought cheapo pliers from Amazon (called the ALEXTREME but they all look the same) for about $40. You'll find mixed reviews on it, but my tips haven't broken (yet) and it has served me well. I have found that one end/tip of the spring bar usually is tighter than the other on some of my watches. With my right hand holding the pliers (I'm right handed), the trick for me is to squeeze in that tight end first but keep applying pressure towards the case with my left hand that is holding the endlink. Then I squeeze the other end of the spring bar. I have to hold the watch head steady with the edge of my right hand that has the pliers so the watch won't slide as I apply pressure from the left hand. With both ends fully depressed, I pull the end link away with my left hand. Keep the pressure not only squeezing the pliers but also downward towards the spring bar/bracelet endlink. If you do not apply the downward pressure the pliers will lose contact with the spring bar, causing them to pop and scratch up your case and/or not be free from the watch. Basically, what I'm saying is move your hands together...don't just pull away with the hand holding the endlink because the spring bars will pop out from losing contact with the pliers.

If you can, taking off one end of the bracelet from the clasp helps a lot, but I know that's much more difficult on a CW clasp with the sliding extension. Also, if you're afraid of scratching the caseback due to the bracelet moving about, put a small microfibre cloth on top of it. Finally, when I first began switching bracelets and straps, I used tape to cover the watch lugs which saved a lot of gashes. Now I don't fear the scratches because I've more experience and I also just don't care. :D

Good luck, Andrew!
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bident wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:29 pm I bought cheapo pliers from Amazon (called the ALEXTREME but they all look the same) for about $40. You'll find mixed reviews on it, but my tips haven't broken (yet) and it has served me well. I have found that one end/tip of the spring bar usually is tighter than the other on some of my watches. With my right hand holding the pliers (I'm right handed), the trick for me is to squeeze in that tight end first but keep applying pressure towards the case with my left hand that is holding the endlink. Then I squeeze the other end of the spring bar. I have to hold the watch head steady with the edge of my right hand that has the pliers so the watch won't slide as I apply pressure from the left hand. With both ends fully depressed, I pull the end link away with my left hand. Keep the pressure not only squeezing the pliers but also downward towards the spring bar/bracelet endlink. If you do not apply the downward pressure the pliers will lose contact with the spring bar, causing them to pop and scratch up your case and/or not be free from the watch. Basically, what I'm saying is move your hands together...don't just pull away with the hand holding the endlink because the spring bars will pop out from losing contact with the pliers.

If you can, taking off one end of the bracelet from the clasp helps a lot, but I know that's much more difficult on a CW clasp with the sliding extension. Also, if you're afraid of scratching the caseback due to the bracelet moving about, put a small microfibre cloth on top of it. Finally, when I first began switching bracelets and straps, I used tape to cover the watch lugs which saved a lot of gashes. Now I don't fear the scratches because I've more experience and I also just don't care. :D

Good luck, Andrew!
Thank you for the very detailed tips. I figure the worst thing I can do is keep at it when frustrated. I imagine that’s a recipe for potential disaster. With that in mind, I’m stopping as soon as I feel the frustration creeping in. Your suggestions might keep the frustration at bay just a wee bit longer.
Drew
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 pm
Thank you for the very detailed tips. I figure the worst thing I can do is keep at it when frustrated. I imagine that’s a recipe for potential disaster. With that in mind, I’m stopping as soon as I feel the frustration creeping in. Your suggestions might keep the frustration at bay just a wee bit longer.
It's a great thing to stop when you feel frustrated. In fact, I would often grab a cold one from the fridge at that point and somehow returning to the process felt much easier. :lol:

Seriously, taking a break really does help.
Best regards,
John
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Andrew, I forgot perhaps the most important tip. As a 50 something year old, my presbyopia is quite challenging dealing with strap changes and bracelet removals. I bought wearable magnifying glasses with a rechargeable LED light that has made a huge difference. In fact, I would never try to remove or refit a bracelet without them, or even use a spring bar tool on a conventional strap. The attached picture shows my magnifiers and they are also available on Amazon from different, cheapo manufacturers. My initial set had a faulty LED light so I sent it right back, ordered another one, and have since used it every time I do a strap change. I'm not sure if your eyesight is compromised like mine, but I imagine even healthy eyes would benefit. Note there are five different powered lenses that snap into the headpiece. I use the most powerful (3x).
IMG_3549.jpeg
Best regards,
John
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bident wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:19 pm
Andrew, I forgot perhaps the most important tip. As a 50 something year old, my presbyopia is quite challenging dealing with strap changes and bracelet removals. I bought wearable magnifying glasses with a rechargeable LED light that has made a huge difference. In fact, I would never try to remove or refit a bracelet without them, or even use a spring bar tool on a conventional strap. The attached picture shows my magnifiers and they are also available on Amazon from different, cheapo manufacturers. My initial set had a faulty LED light so I sent it right back, ordered another one, and have since used it every time I do a strap change. I'm not sure if your eyesight is compromised like mine, but I imagine even healthy eyes would benefit. Note there are five different powered lenses that snap into the headpiece. I use the most powerful (3x).
IMG_3549.jpeg
Good to know, as my eyesight is very compromised!
Drew