STRAPS FOR A MK2 38mm C60 600 TRIDENT BLACK/BLACK GMT

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

STRAPS FOR A MK2 38mm C60 600 TRIDENT BLACK/BLACK GMT

Post by Mikkei4 »

I’ve always had my 3hander C60 Trident on black Bader straps since I bought it in Feb 2015 and now would like a strap option for a Mk2 C60 GMT, recently purchased from OuatiOW, as the straps on the Baders are a bit passed their best.

I’ve looked at numerous strap photos but can anybody help please with their own experience of straps for this borderline dressy diver watch?

Is it possible to re-use a Bader deployant by putting a new strap in and if so how easy is it and is any particular type of strap required?

Did CW produce a 20mm soft touch leather strap with white stitching? If so does anybody have 1 for sale or exchange for an un-worn 20mm red stitching? Does the soft-touch on FloridaPhil’s GMT have white stitching or is that the grey stitching (CWL of the Day Feb 25th)?

What 20mm black leather, sailcloth or rubber straps (possibly with white stitching) have other Forum members used on their black/black C60 Tridents?

What strap is on Craig64’s C60 shown in “C60 Trident Sizing” thread?

I’d really appreciate any assistance or suggestions.

Thank you.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: STRAPS FOR A MK2 38mm C60 600 TRIDENT BLACK/BLACK GMT

Post by FloridaPhil »

The 'presentation side' of the soft-touch strap on my GMT is a dark grey while the inside lining is mid grey. The stitching is slightly lighter than the grey backing although, oddly, it appears slightly off-white/beige against the dark grey outer surface probably due to the tonal contrast playing tricks of the eye.

I have used a black sailcloth on my Trident but didn't think that particular strap worked terribly well, perhaps because the weave was fairly coarse. I have a brand new Bremont 'kevlar' strap I can hold up against the watch to show you how it looks.

Re the bader clasp, yes, it can be reused but you have to make sure that the strap widths are appropriate to the size of the clasp. I fitted a Bader clasp to a regular CW strap and it works just fine, although the permanent keeper is redundant since the tail end no longer passes through it.

I'll try to take some pics for you later today.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Found a shot of the GMT on a nylon strap (not Sailcloth as I previously stated). It's okay but it didn't quite ring the bell for me.

I'm not sure if it's the clash of textures between the wave dial and the strap that put me off or, more likely I think, the fact that the dial appears to be more dark grey than pure black, again due to the way the light plays with the waves. Either way, a lighter black or dark grey strap blends better with the face IMO.

On Nylon.JPG
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

^^thanks for the info and that photo.
I agree re. the nylon strap - it's not quite right which is the reason I'm asking for members experiences.
Co-incidentally I have a 20mm CW soft-touch strap with the grey reverse and stitching that's on an UNDONE chrono at present because the stitching blends with the vintage shade of beige on the tach bezel.

I'll hold it against the GMT and see what I think as it looks good on yours. If you're willing to do some photos of the Bader and Bremont I'd really appreciate it.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

P3020002.JPG
P3020003.JPG

Ironically, the dial looks deep black in this shot because I'm blocking the light to take the pic. The Bremont strap works somewhat better than the other nylon strap because the weave is finer but I still prefer the soft touch.
P3020005.JPG
WatchChat on Facebook
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Bader clasp on a regular (non-Bader) strap. Not much to see other than the redundant keeper. Hope that helps.

P3020007.JPG
WatchChat on Facebook
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:02 pm Bader clasp on a regular (non-Bader) strap. Not much to see other than the redundant keeper. Hope that helps.

P3020007.JPG
That’s an unusual strap Phil. I have tried a ‘normal’ strap on a bader before but there is usually a gap where the tang from the buckle sits. Your strap doesn’t seem to have this though.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

iain wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:19 pm
FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:02 pm Bader clasp on a regular (non-Bader) strap. Not much to see other than the redundant keeper. Hope that helps.

P3020007.JPG
That’s an unusual strap Phil. I have tried a ‘normal’ strap on a bader before but there is usually a gap where the tang from the buckle sits. Your strap doesn’t seem to have this though.
Ah, you have jogged my memory Iain. That strap was originally paired with a CW butterfly clasp, which I swapped for the Bader. That explains why there is no cutout for the tang but there is a keeper.
WatchChat on Facebook
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

The difficulty matching black faced watches with the right shade of black leather strap has long exercised me.

I had a similar issue pairing my Bremont Solo (which for now resides on a Crown & Buckle Phalynx canvas strap) and more recently I struggled to pair my new Broadsword with a suitable strap. I happened to land on a matt black leather strap which seems to suit the not-jet-black dial well since it is lustre that deepens the perceived depth of finish, and matt finishes lack the deep lustre of polished leather. I really like the strap and it was cheap off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z5 ... P4ZC&psc=1.

I'm planning on buying another for my Solo as well and imagine that this type of strap may become a staple for my black tool watches.

Broadsword and Solo.jpg
WatchChat on Facebook
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Phil,

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to produce those photos and provide your advice. I really appreciate your responses.
So far the CW soft-touch looks the best option but if anybody else has some advice I'm happy to receive it.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Mikkei4 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:58 pm .
Is it possible to re-use a Bader deployant by putting a new strap in and if so how easy is it and is any particular type of strap required?
Simply; yes.

Easy enough to switch the Bader Deployant onto a new strap; held in place by a normal spring bar.

As to the strap required you just need like-4-like. OK, difficulty here is CW don't currently sell straps on their own. You therefore need to go off out to the aftermarket.

Points to note;-

1. The strap needs to be reasonable thin to be able to slip into the 'C' shaped bracket on the Bader.

2. You need to mimic the non-standard strap length of 110mm/90mm as opposed to the normal, when fitted with a simple buckle, of 124mm/82mm (CW lengths).

Easy way to do this, is to look for an aftermarket Omega strap like this Black Calf with white stitching one from Watch Obsession. Length is 105mm/100mm, not identical but close to the CW.

Hope this helps.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

PS> found a new all Black 20mm CW soft touch leather strap in one of my strap boxes (buckle is polished steel; not bronze/gold as may appear in the photo).

Alternatively, a new CW dark brown croc grain leather strap (ought to tone with the GMT hand).

Any use?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Mick - and so the fun begins...! This is one of the best bits of getting a “new” watch. Does this strap I have in the box work? What would that one from xzy website look like? Enjoy!

I don’t know if I told you this, but in my experience, CW bracelets can be a pain in the bum to take on and off unless you have a pair of special tweezers..... I don’t consider myself a strap rookie, but it literally took me 30 mins to size and fit the bracelet to my C7 Rapide. That’s only half the time it took me to refit the rubber strap to my Magrette Kara (a secret dastardly @neilj568 probably already knew...)

So, before you remove the bracelet, make sure you are certain you want to do it.... if you change your mind, you may struggle to get it back on. Good luck. You’ll need it.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

^Great advice and I had no intention of doing the removal of the bracelet myself as the perfect watch and bracelet obtained from you would die the death of a thousand cuts in my hands. I've read before on here that the CW bracelets aren't easy.

I don't have the equipment, knowledge or experience to be confident about changing anything more complicated than a QR. The bracelet as you had it needs probably 2 of the 3 spare links added (what size are your wrists :shock: ) and I'd have to take it to a local watch shop to get them put back in anyway or have a word with CW as I'm quite local to them and they've removed/refitted a bracelet in record time.

My Speedy is on a bracelet and will never be taken off that. My 3 hander equivalent of your (ex)GMT is on a brand new never worn bracelet and if I decide to keep that watch also then 1 or the other would have to go on a strap hence why I'm looking for the best strap option.

As you say the fun has begun :)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:55 am (what size are your wrists :shock: )
:oops: 7 inches, which I understand is slightly above average (only just though :thumbup:). It was a tiny bit tight (I have a picture somewhere of the Trident motif from the caseback leaving an imprint on my wrist) so TBF, I could have done with adding a link and then using the micro-adjustment, but once I’d finished messing about, I couldn’t be bothered to take it off and add the extra link..... :lol:
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot