Zuludiver 400 (MKII) from Watchgecko

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Theo_s
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Zuludiver 400 (MKII) from Watchgecko

Post by Theo_s »

I've had a little search on the forum, and whilst there has been a couple of mentions of Watchgecko and some Zuludiver straps, I've not seen a mention of this specific strap.

Personally, I'm exceptionally picky when it comes to straps, and this particular one is one of a very few that really "did it for me". It's the style of strap that you have to cut to length, and then on the buckle itself there are a couple of micro-adjustment holes.

Unfortunately it doesn't have that sweet curved profile of vintage tropic straps, but it does still have that checkered "weaved" pattern.

When you first get it it has this really pleasant (and surprisingly strong) vanilla scent to it which gradually fades over time. But even after a couple of months my strap still has that vanilla character when I smell it up close.

The buckle is machined rather than pressed and it feels pretty good. No, it's not going to compete with luxury straps, but for the asking price I'm more than happy with it.

Check it out at https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver-40 ... atch-strap

Current collection : CW C60 Trident Pro 600 38mm Black/Burgundy, Graf Zeppelin LZ129 Moonphase 36mm, Timex Marlin reissue 34mm
Incoming piece : -
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Zuludiver 400 (MKII) from Watchgecko

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting comments and excellent photos. Thank you.

I was reading up on this strap on Watchgecko's website last week as the MkI version was in their sale. However there were some uncomplimentary reviews relating to the reliability of the clasp. Guess they have fixed that for the Mk2.

The underside of the strap looks smooth and flat. Doesn't that get a bit sweaty in hot weather?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by nwnjw01 »

I have one of these straps and agree with the original writers comments about the general quality of the strap and the intriguing and agreeable odour of vanilla that the strap has and does seem to maintain.
For me however the bit that stopped me from wearing it was the buckle, mine is the mk2 version the one without the release buttons either side of the buckle body, and the problem for me is that the safety catch, the part of the catch that you need to release first, is so very stiff and difficult to release, indeed I stopped wearing it when I broke my thumb nail releasing it, admittedly I don’t have extremely strong nails for a man, but that was the last straw for me.
Maybe I should have investigated ways of loosening it? Possibly I am just too impatient.
Other than that it is a really nice strap, I must make more of an effort to check and see if I can “adjust” the awkwardness of the safety catch.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

welcome to the forum and valuable post! well done
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Interesting read and pics, thank you. Ill take a look at these for an old Seiko i have.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

nwnjw01 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:47 am For me however the bit that stopped me from wearing it was the buckle, mine is the mk2 version the one without the release buttons either side of the buckle body, and the problem for me is that the safety catch, the part of the catch that you need to release first, is so very stiff and difficult to release, indeed I stopped wearing it when I broke my thumb nail releasing it, admittedly I don’t have extremely strong nails for a man, but that was the last straw for me.
Coincidentally, I just yesterday received this clasp which can be purchased separately at WatchGecko. I have a bracelet with a clasp that is too long and uncomfortable for me and was looking for a replacement. I was dismayed to discover that the spring bars included with the clasp are thicker than conventional spring bars and will not fit in my bracelet. Conversely, conventional spring bars are too small for the clasp's holes and slide right through. :thumbdown: I'm contemplating sending it back but am not sure if the shipping costs are worth it. Something to keep in mind if any forum members decide to order this clasp from WatchGecko (with whom I've had nothing but pleasant experiences).

Regarding the thumb nail release: I have found with this clasp (to the extent I tried it) and other similar clasps that grasping the sides with the thumb and forefinger, then pulling out/down is a much easier method then inserting a nail at the top of the clasp. It certainly saves me a lot of pain and bandages. Over time, the friction will lesson with use (as per usual) and using a nail will be much easier, but I still use the thumb and forefinger regardless.
Best regards,
John
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:01 am Welcome to the forum.

I was reading up on this strap on Watchgecko's website last week as the MkI version was in their sale. However there were some uncomplimentary reviews relating to the reliability of the clasp. Guess they have fixed that for the Mk2.

The underside of the strap looks smooth and flat. Doesn't that get a bit sweaty in hot weather?

Guy

Guy,

From reading about this strap in the past, the rubber is reversible such that the patterned texture can be the side resting against the skin while the smooth portion faces the outside. I would think that would alleviate some of the perspiration issues in hotter weather, but just my conjecture since I've never owned this strap.
Best regards,
John
Theo_s
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Theo_s »

Guy

Oh, credit where credit is due...only the first pic is mine...the others are from the WG site :-)
Current collection : CW C60 Trident Pro 600 38mm Black/Burgundy, Graf Zeppelin LZ129 Moonphase 36mm, Timex Marlin reissue 34mm
Incoming piece : -
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Interesting pattern and comment about the vanilla scent. Both are very similar to the old CW rubber strap in terms of look and smell. Same supplier?
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Bident wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Guy

Guy,

From reading about this strap in the past, the rubber is reversible such that the patterned texture can be the side resting against the skin while the smooth portion faces the outside. I would think that would alleviate some of the perspiration issues in hotter weather, but just my conjecture since I've never owned this strap.
I beleive the 300 model has a more pronounced pattern on the reverse side so shouldn't get quite so uncomfortable during warm weather.

https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver-30 ... atch-strap
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."