watch strap question

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: watch strap question

Post by iain »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:41 am Interesting.

Guy, It does look as if the two exaomples of the yellow soft touch have more of a tendency to wrinkle than my older red version, which dates from mid last year. I wonder has the supplier recently changed the construction somewhat?
Note the blue strap I’ve pictured above was purchased last year. I took it on holiday end of May/early June
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

iain wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm Here are some photos of my blue soft touch strap. I bought this as it was advertised as being waterproof and wanted something to wear on my bronze trident in the pool on holiday.

I assumed the deterioration was due to the chlorine as this is the state of the strap after just one week permanently on the wrist in Cyprus last year. I took it off when I got home and was that disappointed by how it had become worn, I’ve just left it in my strap box ever since.

Note how the glue has come away next to the keeper, which again I had assumed was due to being submerged in a chlorinated pool.

16EAA398-F19D-4583-9922-C12FF98B25FD.jpeg

6E07B028-9739-40C5-ACC5-D99CCE95225B.jpeg
I have to say that waterproof or not, I would not trust any leather strap in water, especially salt or chlorinated water. I personally think it's misleading to imply that leather straps can be used on dive watches other than for wear on dry land - just my two penn'orth.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

H0rati0 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:58 pm
I have to say that waterproof or not, I would not trust any leather strap in water, especially salt or chlorinated water. I personally think it's misleading to imply that leather straps can be used on dive watches other than for wear on dry land - just my two penn'orth.
I would agree, however I have used the Hirsch performance leather straps in water without issue and here is the screen shot from the CW page which certainly implies they are waterproof. I think the glue coming away on my strap is directly related to pool use, but the creasing of the leather may not be going off some of the posts in this thread.
3DCCAB72-9F04-4651-A892-BDABA35DD5A4.png
Iain
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

iain wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm
I would agree, however I have used the Hirsch performance leather straps in water without issue and here is the screen shot from the CW page which certainly implies they are waterproof. I think the glue coming away on my strap is directly related to pool use, but the creasing of the leather may not be going off some of the posts in this thread.

Iain
Did your Hirsch usage include sea and/or pool water? I rather like the look of some of them and have thought about acquiring one to try.

I agree that CW bill the soft touch leather as waterproof - mark me sceptic.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

I’ve not used any strap in the sea but the Hirsch was fine in a pool. I should add the caveat that I don’t spend long in the pool on holiday, maybe half an hour a few times a week with the daughter. I wouldn’t class it as heavy pool use therefore.

Iain
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

H0rati0 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:17 pm
iain wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Iain
Did your Hirsch usage include sea and/or pool water? I rather like the look of some of them and have thought about acquiring one to try.

I agree that CW bill the soft touch leather as waterproof - mark me sceptic.
I can confirm that the leather Hirsch James is no problem with sea water, sand, pool water, river water, anything I've chucked at it. Its a fantastic strap.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

TigerChris wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 pm
I can confirm that the leather Hirsch James is no problem with sea water, sand, pool water, river water, anything I've chucked at it. Its a fantastic strap.
Thanks Chris, that's good to know that you underwrite from practical exposure, I'll have to pick one up before too long.
kennethpf

Post by kennethpf »

I think the conclusion then is that it's better not to buy the CW "soft-touch" leather strap... seems like the it's much less durable than regular leather straps in terms of the top layer separating...
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

kennethpf wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 am I think the conclusion then is that it's better not to buy the CW "soft-touch" leather strap... seems like the it's much less durable than regular leather straps in terms of the top layer separating...
Hmm, not so sure. Mine has been fine and this is the first time I have heard the issue raised, maybe it's just this batch of black/yellow? Any owners of the 316L Yellow with soft touch leather care to chime in?

I personally however will continue to avoid serious exposure to water, but the strap itself is nice.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I went swimming a number of times on holiday last summer with a CW soft touch leather waterproof strap on my Trident. After a few swims it did look a little bedraggled but I think that may have been a combination of salt/chlorinated water and suntan lotion.

After it had properly dried out and I'd applied a bit of leather cleaner to it, it came up pretty well good as new and I didn't have any separation of the layers of the strap.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way