How do you like your straps in the morning?

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 6
LE-six: Yes

How do you like your straps in the morning?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:37 pm

...or the afternoon or evening for that matter?

This question is prompted by the continued spell of very warm and sometimes humid weather we are enjoying in our corner of the UK.

Now, being a couple of kilos over my fighting weight (ie. fat bloke) I'm quite happy when it's hot but much less so when the humidity is high. I hate tight restrictive clothing, especially collars and ties. After next Friday (my least favourite day of the year, when I have to wear a suit and academic dress) I have a couple of months in shorts, summer shirts and no socks!

So... straps? I used to be a bracelet-hater, leather straps only sort of bloke. As with many things watch-related, my tastes have changed.

In terms of fit, I have identified several "settings".

Tight: no way! As I said above, I hate anything restrictive. When I see photos of watches that look as if they are trying to dig a WW1 trench in a fleshy wrist I wince.

Snug: keeps the watch securely in one place, but I am aware of the strap all the time. Perhaps with a small or slim watch on leather, and in cold weather, but preferably not otherwise.

Perfect: hard to describe, but fundamentally a very comfortable Goldilocks setting with leather or bracelet. Stops the watch sliding around on the wrist too much (up and down the arm a bit is OK for me, lateral movement less so) but doesn't leave a mark when you take it off.

Slightly loose: I quite like this setting, especially in warm weather, as long as the watch doesn't slide round to the side.

Jangly-bangly: I've certainly seen it, especially with bracelet watches. I've tried it but not for long!

With a leather strap I can never seem to find the perfect setting so I tend to end up making an intermediate hole between one that's just too tight and one that's just too loose. Top marks here to the Cartier double friction déployant. No holes at all, adjusts like a dream. Best leather (well, gator) strap ever.

Slightly aside, I like exotics and Cordovan, but my main criterion is that I like softer leathers (again my dislike of things I find restrictive). This Hirsch Merino is just beautiful.

The two together:

I rediscovered the joy of quality bracelets with the Speedy and more recently with the Trident GMT. Perfect for warm weather, especially the CW, as it can go from snug to jangly-bangly in seconds. Which is where I came in, really...point being that the wrist can expand throughout the day, especially in warm weather.

NB. This was taken before I had the bracelet resized, so it's too tight.

How do you like yours?
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

downer
CW-watches: 2
LE-foura: Yes

Re: How do you like your straps in the morning?

Post by downer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:01 pm

My preference is loose-as-a-goose. It's slightly looser than slightly loose but nowhere near a bangle.

I don't like the watch head to move too much, but equally cannot abide any feeling of restriction. Some watch/strap combinations seem better at this than others. For example, my PO.. the bracelet has no micro-adjustment, but I find I can wear it loose without it moving. This may be because the watch head is heavy but has a low centre of gravity, or it may be due to the heavily engraved caseback. Who knows...

The Rolex comfort-link is also a good system for on the fly bracelet expansion. Here's a video explaining it (Note I didn't listen to the video, I just looked at the pictures):

Richard

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 6
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:12 pm

downer wrote:My preference is loose-as-a-goose. It's slightly looser than slightly loose but nowhere near a bangle.
Brilliant! :lol:
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by nbg » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:10 am

I don’t like it too loose or too tight. Providing I can slip a little finger in, I find it’s fine 24/7 regardless of the weather.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jtc » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:57 am

I can't remember who suggested Barton straps from Amazon, but for £25 their canvas straps are a godsend in this humidity! Even worn to normal tightness, it's not uncomfortable like a leather strap and is softer than a similarly tight NATO. Definitely recommended.
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

Tudor Pelagos (ETA) | Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 | Omega Speedmaster Apollo XV 40th Anniversary | Halios Seaforth Pastel
C60 Pro 600 | C8 UTC Worldtimer | C7 Hornet COSC #002/150 | Seiko Kinetic 5M42 Ti

copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by copemanphoto » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:34 pm

hmm.............over easy! :lol:
Cheers, Mike.