Removing And Installing Straps And Bracelets

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

I have not found this to be an easy task using a single tip spring bar removal tool. However Bergeon makes a tool that looks like it will make the job much easier. It's not cheap but for a strap fanatic like me it's probably worth the investment.

Here it is....

Bergeon part # BERG-6825

And here is at least one place to get one.

http://www.tztoolshop.com/FB_Catalog_Li ... overs.html

If you only plan to do the job once or twice it might be less expensive, and less frustrating, to let a professional do it. :)
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Removing And Installing Straps And Bracelets

Post by Kip »

I have never had much luck with this type tool (I have one) myself. Apparently not coordinated enough. :(

Others I know seem to love it. It seems like everything else....whatever you can get used to.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22

Post by DSHall »

A cheaper version. http://www.watch-tool.de/html/bracelet_ ... ?id=0090dk

I've not managed to remove a bracelet with this, but it does make putting a bracelet on much much easier.
Mezzame
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Mezzame »

Looks like this may be in my immediate future - thanks
C60 Trident GMT-SKS
C70 RAF Ad Astra
C60 Auto SKK
Seiko Diver
Pathfinder
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22

Post by DSHall »

Good luck. Just take your time and carefully does it.
AndyKH
Senior
Senior

Post by AndyKH »

Pah, thats ridiculous, I've been using pins until today.
Currently proud owner of a 'Pepsi' seiko divers, a C9 (for sale in the sales corner) A C60 GMT with orange bezel, with Bracelet, black and orange and the latest orange straps and my late grandfathers citizen chrono.

More to come..........
steven.w42
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by steven.w42 »

I think that my biggest problem removing watch bands is that I sometimes have problems seeing where the prong of the tool is touching the end of the spring bar because of poor lighting, and because I sometimes have a difficult time seeing where the prong of the tool is touching the spring bar, which makes it more difficult to effectively maneuver the pin into the holes in the lug. To try to remedy this, I am thinking of getting a jewelers loupe, and to try to figure out some way to hold the watch still possibly with some sort of jewelers vice, but i don't know if such a thing exists (haven't looked for one yet!).

Kind Regards,
Steven
Steinhart Ocean One GMT "Pepsi" / Hamilton Field Chronograph / Maratac Mid Pilot / Poljot Strela Chronograph /Incoming: Seagull 1963 Re-Issue
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

steven.w42 wrote:I think that my biggest problem removing watch bands is that I sometimes have problems seeing where the prong of the tool is touching the end of the spring bar because of poor lighting, and because I sometimes have a difficult time seeing where the prong of the tool is touching the spring bar, which makes it more difficult to effectively maneuver the pin into the holes in the lug. To try to remedy this, I am thinking of getting a jewelers loupe, and to try to figure out some way to hold the watch still possibly with some sort of jewelers vice, but i don't know if such a thing exists (haven't looked for one yet!).

Kind Regards,
Steven
See if my methods help....it can work for straps as well.

Bracelet install

Bracelet removal
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
steven.w42
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by steven.w42 »

Kip wrote:
steven.w42 wrote:I think that my biggest problem removing watch bands is that I sometimes have problems seeing where the prong of the tool is touching the end of the spring bar because of poor lighting, and because I sometimes have a difficult time seeing where the prong of the tool is touching the spring bar, which makes it more difficult to effectively maneuver the pin into the holes in the lug. To try to remedy this, I am thinking of getting a jewelers loupe, and to try to figure out some way to hold the watch still possibly with some sort of jewelers vice, but i don't know if such a thing exists (haven't looked for one yet!).

Kind Regards,
Steven
See if my methods help....it can work for straps as well.

Bracelet install

Bracelet removal
Hi Kip, thank you for the links, your methods are pretty much spot on to how I change watch straps! The problem of visualizing the end of the spring bar still remains a problem for me!
JAG wrote:i found using a watch holder as below a useful gadget for helping change strap as it,s like having a third hand + the piece is held stable

Hi Jag, I actually just found this widget while I was browsing around on Amazon, I am glad to hear that it actually works well, I think that I will add it to my toolkit ;).

Kind regards,
Steven
Steinhart Ocean One GMT "Pepsi" / Hamilton Field Chronograph / Maratac Mid Pilot / Poljot Strela Chronograph /Incoming: Seagull 1963 Re-Issue
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Absolutely correct Jag. The light/magnifier is the way to go. It makes it far easier to get it right. I got one from Maplin..

The benefit of this one is that the bulb emits very little heat. The last one I had tended to get very hot!! The wider viewing area is also good and the entire thing has a 3 dioptre magnification.
Richard
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

While I have loupes I find a good pair of reading glasses (which are simple magnification lenses) works really for changing straps 90% of the time and use a more powerful loupe occasionally. Then you can use any lamp for light.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I combine that magnifying lamp WITH my reading glasses.

But, I am an old git. :)
Richard
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Leo David »

downer wrote:But, I am an old git. :)
Surely not :wink:
binnserelli
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by binnserelli »

Okay I've read all this and got the right tool for the job (bergeon 6767f). I have no problem using the push end to open the bracelet out at the clasp end. However no matter what I do with the C60 bracelet (the new version), the spring bar at the end that goes immediatley into the lugs just slides from one side to the other when I put the tool in and apply pressure.

How the hell do I get one side of one end of the bracelet out let alone both ends fully? :?
Cheers,
Andrew

C60 Trident Pro Black (C60-TRI-SKS) #1011
C9 Harrison Automatic (C9-AUTO-SST) #0436
C9 FLE 2011 #18
C10 FLE 2013 #18
C20
C5 Malvern Slimline Square
Margrette Regattare Tiki
Stowa Antea 390 (ETA 2824-2)
Uhren von UHR 261
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

If you are using my method, a bit more pressure from underneath should do it. The end only has to stay out of the hole while you release the other side. You do not remove the bracelet completely until both sides are removed from the holes.

Apply just enough pressure to move the bracelet and prevent the end from popping back in.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"