Strapcode - MiLTAT Bracelets; would you recommend?

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Craig64 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:03 pm

Hello folks

I've got an inexpensive Seiko SKX009 due to arrive soon, and the first thing I will want to do is replace the supplied rubber strap with a decent stainless steel bracelet, and that's where Strapcode grabbed my attention. I love the seemingly high quality offerings on their website https://www.strapcode.com/

Being resident in the UK, I have never made a purchase from outside the UK. So for anyone who has purchased from strap code within the UK, please could I ask you 3 questions?

1) Prices are quoted in USD, so is it just a case of paying on your normal credit card (or Paypal) and them converting the currency as your card is charged?
2) Are there any extra processing fees/costs to consider (like taxes, currency conversion fees, etc)?
3) Is the process as straightforward as it would appear to be, or are there any hidden pitfalls to look out for?

Your shared experience and advice will be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance. :D
Regards
Craig

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Strapcode - MiLTAT Bracelets; would you recommend?

Post by H0rati0 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Craig64 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:03 pm

1) Prices are quoted in USD, so is it just a case of paying on your normal credit card (or Paypal) and them converting the currency as your card is charged?
Yes. You will be charged a currency conversion fee on Paypal (it's a rip off but on small charges not worth worrying about too much) and probably on your credit card depending on issuer.
Craig64 wrote:
2) Are there any extra processing fees/costs to consider (like taxes, currency conversion fees, etc)?
When the item arrives in the UK you will pay duty & VAT on the total price including shipping and a processing fee which varies by carrier.
Craig64 wrote:
3) Is the process as straightforward as it would appear to be, or are there any hidden pitfalls to look out for?
I have never bought from Strapcode (though I hear they are highly regarded and reputable) but generally speaking the process is no problem. The vendor ships using a courier or postal service and they clear though customs and deliver to your door as normal. Depending on the carrier they will then either want COD for the clearance costs or will send you a bill after the fact. Very occasionally an item ends up stuck in customs but the carrier stiil sorts it out though they may need extra input from yourself.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Your detailed and prompt reply is really very much appreciated. Thank you very much.
My only concern now, is the unknown costs bit. If I am going to buy a bracelet listed at say £120 uk equivalent, should all of the extra costs, taxes etc, keep the overall purchase less than say £200?
I would be mortified to order a circa £120 bracelet and end up having to pay say double that after miscellaneous costs....
Regards
Craig

StrapMeister
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13

Post by StrapMeister » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:16 pm

Import costs into the UK would be @20% of the indicated value of the item + the carriers handling fee @£12
C60 FLE (Red JAG); C60 Trident 316L LE (Orange, Blue/Orange, Yellow, Black/Yellow); C60 Ombre LE.
C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE; C65 Trident GMT.
C10 Aviator; C9 Moonphase; C9 Pulsometer LE; C9 FLE; C8 MkII.
Blood Bikes EVS https://www.freewheelers.org.uk/

timor54
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by timor54 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:25 pm

I recently (Dec. last year) bought a Strapcode oyster for my turtle. It’s a very nice bracelet, very well made, fits nicely to the watch and easy to adjust with screwed links - would recommend.

I went through all the same anxieties about buying direct and in the end bought through their Amazon UK store. It worked out about the same net price but I had the benefit of an invoice from a ‘UK based supplier’. It still shipped from Hong Kong and was stopped by UK customs but when I showed them the ‘UK invoice’ they quickly rolled over and it was sent to me without further delay or cost. A bit of delay, but at no cost.
Tim

tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by tikkathree » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:39 am

timor54 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:25 pm
I recently (Dec. last year) bought a Strapcode oyster for my turtle. It’s a very nice bracelet, very well made, fits nicely to the watch and easy to adjust with screwed links - would recommend.

I went through all the same anxieties about buying direct and in the end bought through their Amazon UK store. It worked out about the same net price but I had the benefit of an invoice from a ‘UK based supplier’. It still shipped from Hong Kong and was stopped by UK customs but when I showed them the ‘UK invoice’ they quickly rolled over and it was sent to me without further delay or cost. A bit of delay, but at no cost.
I reckon UK Customs can easily add 5 working days to the process.
Good to hear about their reaction to UK-based supplier.
I've had a go with most CW models in the true spirit of online buying - get it, try it, keep it or flip it! White C60 Mk2, Black C60 Mk2 GMT and the big blue beast!

guy.woodall

Post by guy.woodall » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:47 am

Have you checked on Amazon uk, they have some strap code models.
I have used also used amazon global shipping which adds the taxes and charges upfront, so no unknown charges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:34 am

Thank you all for such helpful advice. Once I’ve got the new watch, I will have a look via Amazon or go the direct route and take the plunge.
Regards
Craig

richtel
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:25 pm

Just to add a balance I've had a coouple of Strapcode bracelets- the latest was about 12 months ago for a new-model Seiko turtle and before that for a Seiko solar SNE435 diver. While the fit to the watch was good (and better than the OEM), I did find the finishing of the bracelet a little lacking- it had the odd sharp edge which needed a judicious draw with a needle file and felt a little rough. As a comparison with, say, a CW bracelet it certainly had a long way to go.

In restrospect, with a little attention it was fine, but I think it could have been better.

STodd
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 13
LE-five: yes

Post by STodd » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:31 pm

guy.woodall wrote:Have you checked on Amazon uk, they have some strap code models.
I have used also used amazon global shipping which adds the taxes and charges upfront, so no unknown charges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C60 GMT MkI¦C11 Elite,Pro¦C700 Grande Rapide¦C8 Pilot MkII¦C8 UTC¦C10 FLE#13¦C4 'Phoenix'¦Speedhawk¦Bluebird LE#319¦IRR LE#129¦C1000 FGR4
Omega PO 2201.51.00¦Damasko DA44¦Seiko KS 5621-7020, SRP639¦Luminox 1833¦Newmark 6BB¦Scurfa DiverOne NATO

Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:01 pm

richtel wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:25 pm
Just to add a balance I've had a coouple of Strapcode bracelets- the latest was about 12 months ago for a new-model Seiko turtle and before that for a Seiko solar SNE435 diver. While the fit to the watch was good (and better than the OEM), I did find the finishing of the bracelet a little lacking- it had the odd sharp edge which needed a judicious draw with a needle file and felt a little rough. As a comparison with, say, a CW bracelet it certainly had a long way to go.

In restrospect, with a little attention it was fine, but I think it could have been better.
I appreciate your feedback and comments on this. For my part, I have heard a few others make mention of some sharp edges on some of their bracelets in other forums/reviews.
However, that aspect alone, though should not happen, would not stop me making a purchase. If the use of an ultra fine abrasive and a bit of time expended delivers top notch results, I’d be willing to take a punt. :thumbup:
Regards
Craig

Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 pm

STodd wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:31 pm
guy.woodall wrote:Have you checked on Amazon uk, they have some strap code models.
Thank you very much for your tip here. I checked on Amazon UK, and have now ordered the braclet I wanted, 3D Oyster heavy duty bracelet. It is being shipped direct from Strapcode, the listing had an extra £20 to pay for shipping/postage, so I believe there should be no hidden costs to pay.

In the meantime, my new SKX arrived yesterday, its stock rubber strap being replaced with a calf leather strap with red stitching (temporary use until the new bracelet arrives):
Attachments
IMG_1649.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG
Regards
Craig

Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Hi Folks
Just to update you on the Miltat bracelet, it arrived today (all the way from Hong Kong to UK in only 5 days!), having been ordered from Amazon and shipped direct from Strapcode (Paid £20 for shipping, no customs or other fees to pay).

It took me two hours to fit the new bracelet, because the holes in the shoulder links did not align with the holes in the lugs. The pins would not click into their holes. I resolved this by using a diamond needle file to elongate the hole going through the shoulder link (for both links). If this was a local purchase it would have been returned.

So, despite the annoyance and disappointment, I am now happy with the new bracelet, especially its substantial clasp.

Oh, and because I wasn't happy that my existing screwdriver fitted the screws, I ended up using my tormec grinder to reduce a larger screwdriver so that its width and thickness matched the screw heads properly.

I actually quite enjoyed the challenge of sorting this new bracelet :D :D
Attachments
Seiko on Steel.jpg
Regards
Craig