mjh93sa
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes

Re: FYI Forum LE

Post by mjh93sa »

Galton321 wrote:
mjh93sa wrote:Good move. Design by committee (at least in my experience) leads to cost and time overruns and a failure to come to a decision, let alone the right one. Far better to get a small group together and just sort it out.
Kip, perhaps if you referred to a working group rather than a committee everyone might feel better! :D
Oops, shouldn't have used the c word. :oops: What I meant was that by having a small group the chances of reaching a consensus are much greater. Trying to gather the collective opinions of the 2400 members of the forum would be a complete nightmare, and even if it did happen would take some serious time. I would suggest that we are already seeing this as the 2008 / 2009 LEs were completed in a reasonably short timescale at a time when the membership of the forum was somewhat smaller.

Okay, a lot of people won't get exactly what they want, but I am sure that something unique will come of it. The last LE had a lot of people disliking it at the outset, but it sold out in reasonable time and there are 2 posts with people wanting to buy one in the sale section at the moment so it worked out in the end.
Member of the C80 owners club
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes

Post by Galton321 »

mjh93sa wrote: Okay, a lot of people won't get exactly what they want, but I am sure that something unique will come of it. The last LE had a lot of people disliking it at the outset, but it sold out in reasonable time and there are 2 posts with people wanting to buy one in the sale section at the moment so it worked out in the end.
I agree with you, you can't please everyone. In 2004, I think, Barry Schwartz wrote a book called The Paradox of Choice - Why More Is Less. He put forward the thesis that too much choice is bad for us psychologically. That maybe was the problem that when we could choose anything everything got too complicated. I like the idea that everyone has an input but think its not possible to please everyone. But the LE group have had enough pointers. So provided that they come up with something special enough people will like it and buy it. We've had a diver and a dress so I'm interested to know what next. :D
cholmes
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by cholmes »

Would it be too much to ask for an automatic women's watch that isn't weird colors and/or tons of tacky bling? I'll be in the market next year and CW doesn't have a watch for me. \:D/
stinker
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by stinker »

It really can't be that hard.
Trident with an Orange bezel, slightly thicker hands, date @ 3 or if staying @ 4 then round instead of square. To finish 3 straps. Orange, Black, Steel. £400. Job done.
One last thing, no cluttering of the face. Just a watch, no limited edition, forum exclusive malarky. Just a nice watch.
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

FYI Forum LE

Post by DSHall »

stinker wrote:It really can't be that hard.
Trident with an Orange bezel, slightly thicker hands, date @ 3 or if staying @ 4 then round instead of square. To finish 3 straps. Orange, Black, Steel. £400. Job done.
One last thing, no cluttering of the face. Just a watch, no limited edition, forum exclusive malarky. Just a nice watch.
For me too please - but maybe a discreet "LE" on the dial?
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Galton321 »

stinker wrote:It really can't be that hard.
:schlafen:
abently
Junior
Junior

Post by abently »

Manual C1 was something I was keen on also. I think to please the big watch fanatics it would have to be 40mm but apart from that, I'm sure we could collectively pick the right colour and dial style. ;)
shrink
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by shrink »

how about something like this?

based on a C1 style case, classic looks. Even a manual wind would be interesting. I dont need a date window on a watch, and not having one would make quickly setting the time on a manual wind watch all the easier.
Who watches the watch-men
Beastmaster
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by Beastmaster »

Have I missed something? post one says a committee or group has been formed to thrash out a LE and when they are done they will tell us what is proposed. So what is the three pages of ideas for a LE all about?

Any updates on how close to revealing a proposal or indeed the LE itself, the committee is?
C6 yellow Kingfisher, C5 black Malvern Aviator Ltd Edition, C70 DBR1, C70 IT, C60 Trident 2012 FLE Scooter, C70 MC, C70 Cunningham
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Post by Mortis »

I will attempt to offer a brief explanation, which Kip may or may not wish to edit depending on what is allowed to be said and what is correct!

There was an initial LE posited a while back (several months ago) which was based on the C9 chronograph. This model was not well received by the forum at the time (on both cost and colour), and since demand was deemed inefficient it was not pursued further.

Some new ideas were invited, and this area of the forum is where those possibilities were discussed. Unfortunately, after a length of time, little headway or agreement was made. Personally I think a lot of people were quite polemic in their views and a lack of flexibility and direction meant that things did not work as well as they might! Too many chiefs, not enough indians, or something! (No offence intended).

Finally, Hans, Kip and Yoda got together and, with some other regular and experienced forum members, formed a committee to create a LE for 2011. Hence this thread. I believe that they are aiming to have something out for the forum to consider within a month or two and CWL will probably take about six months to make it. I hasten to add that this is only my own estimated belief and should not be taken as gospel or a fixed timeline!

I have faith in the committee and I am sure that if anyone does want to make suggestions then this thread, or similar, are perfectly good places to comment as the members involved in the committee will at least read it and maybe bear it in mind for consideration.

I don't think the objective of the committee is just to make something just they want - it is not a clique but will hopefully be representative of the forum at large and is simply there to streamline a process that was too difficult before.

:)
Beastmaster
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by Beastmaster »

Agree with all you say Mortis, so I,m content to wait and see what the group comes up with!
C6 yellow Kingfisher, C5 black Malvern Aviator Ltd Edition, C70 DBR1, C70 IT, C60 Trident 2012 FLE Scooter, C70 MC, C70 Cunningham
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22
LE-foura: yes

FYI Forum LE

Post by DSHall »

Beastmaster wrote:Agree with all you say Mortis, so I,m content to wait and see what the group comes up with!
Snap. I think this is the only sensible way forward.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Peteo »

DSHall wrote:
Beastmaster wrote:Agree with all you say Mortis, so I,m content to wait and see what the group comes up with!
I agree. As I missed the boat on the last two Forum LEs, I am very excited to see what this one will bring. And I'm willing to bet that I will like whatever they come up with, even if it takes some warming to at first.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

DSHall wrote:

Seems fair to me as you can't please all of the people all of the time. In reality you only have to please 100 people initially, plus a few others later on to create a market.

Some will buy a ForumLE because they like it
Others will buy because it's a ForumLE
The rest will wait for the 2012 ForumLE if the 2011 ForumLE isn't to their taste.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

come on guys, i want to know if to buy a C60 or not !
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.