C65 Trident Diver SH21 Limited Edition review

Documentation and CW-related information
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

C65 Trident Diver SH21 Limited Edition review

Post by DavecUK »

Hopefully I have this in the right place. I actually review/design/test, coffee machines, roasters and grinders and a year ago I stopped doing them on .PDFs and started dumping them into this wordpress site. It's not a watch review site, but watches and coffee seem to go together in the category of luxury toys. it's my free site, so I felt why not at least make a reference to my interest in watches and it was a good place to talk about what I liked with my current aqquisition.

Apologies as I know it will be teaching all of you "how to suck eggs" for a large portion of it but it is intended for an audience who have little or no understanding of mechanical watches and collecting. It's also not an "unboxing" or a wow look at it as it gets fondled type of review. It's about what I look for in a watch and what I like to buy. The box....who cares, I remove the watch from it, go oooh for a few moments, then never look at the box again. In fact if the same watch came in a posh box or a plastic bag and I could save £80...count me in for the plastic bag (unless it's a present).

Here it is warts and all, right click any images for a larger hi res view and sorry if it's not what you expect. The site is free, so apologies in advance about any ads, I do write the reviews in such a way to hopefully minimise ads, but they are not under my control. There are no affiliate links on the site and it's not for profit...just my review dumping ground.

https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpres ... -ward-c65/

probably be my first and last watch review....unless you like it and I get another CW watch.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: C65 Trident Diver SH21 Limited Edition review

Post by mvlow »

Thanks for sharing your review Dave.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thanks Dave - it looks like it deserves a full read so I will do so tomorrow.

The "fun" photos on advert boards are great.
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

Tremendous review...even learned a thing or two.👍
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Very good (diverse and well reasoned) review - outstanding.

The watch ain't half bad either!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Just finished reading your review, it was very good. Learned/relearned things unknown and forgotten. The watch looks very good, speaking to my liking for blue-dialed watches with simple numbering. Thank you.
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An interesting review. :thumbup:

I already liked the watch, but having strayed elsewhere on your website I now realise that I also need one of these! :)
137E1BA3-268F-4AA1-AA85-3899722DD1D3.png
Have also marked a few other articles to read.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

Really enjoyed reading the review, thanks.

Nice watch too, how are you finding the aluminium bezel though? They're quite prone to scratches and scuffs which is why I've avoided them.
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

CBMVic20 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 pm Really enjoyed reading the review, thanks.

Nice watch too, how are you finding the aluminium bezel though? They're quite prone to scratches and scuffs which is why I've avoided them.
It's OK, but I try to be careful, a replacement Bezel at service should be cheap enough. I suspect it's blue anodised, well I would hope so, it's how I would have done it. I suppose the years will tell. Perhaps a tech question for CW.

In the olden days aluminium Bezels were common but as you say, not as hard as ceramic, a very different look though.
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by CBMVic20 »

Thanks for that. Yes, I think a glossy finish ceramic bezel would look great and contrast nicely with the matt dial.

I had a Trident 300 with an aluminium bezel which got messed up in no time and that was just me wearing it to the office no more than twice weekly :(
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Something I should add to the review...

I am used to very high end watches having good autowinding capabilities. I was not sure how well the new sculpted rotor on the SH21 would autowind because it's a bit lighter than the older version. Having a power reserve dial has allowed me to see the astoundingly good performance of the autowind for a "relatively" sedentary person. It autowinds even with my limited activity at 1 day +1 day per 8-10 hours wear. This is essentially maintaining the power it had and then putting an extra days worth in...remarkably good for my activity level.

I know it seems an insignificance, but it does prove how well done the autowind is on the SH21, especially as the mainspring takes some winding up when it nears full. It's still maintaining just under 1 second per day accuracy, over 7 days it has lost just under 6 seconds.

Delighted with the SH21 movement so far...
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

That's good to hear how well it's running Dave.
It's a stunning watch that I would love to able to own.
Great review too by the way :thumbup:
nwnjw01
Senior
Senior

Post by nwnjw01 »

Hi Dave,

Great review, you highlight some important information, and present it an easy and engaging way.
I don’t have the automatic version of an SH21, mine is a C8 power reserve, (the aviator style based on the smiths spitfire clock face).
I have only had it for a couple of weeks and been away with it staying at home for nearly half that time, so not in a position to thoroughly report on it yet, but I am very pleased so far.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

nwnjw01 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:12 pm Hi Dave,

Great review, you highlight some important information, and present it an easy and engaging way.
I don’t have the automatic version of an SH21, mine is a C8 power reserve, (the aviator style based on the smiths spitfire clock face).
I have only had it for a couple of weeks and been away with it staying at home for nearly half that time, so not in a position to thoroughly report on it yet, but I am very pleased so far.
That's a really nice watch as well, I quite like the idea of a hand wound SH21....
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

Great review and it’s a really lovely watch.

I also like the personal story it holds for you, and that’s what makes this hobby so personal and worthwhile

Wear in good health

Cheers
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart